• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interesting Article About Maduro Cigars

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
For all the maduro lovers out there, this is a welcome bit of info. Like always, we take these lists with a grain of salt. Although, in this ratings panel, there are some very reputable cigar people involved.

My take away from this was that a decent list of current production cigars was put together.

LINK

For all the maduro lovers out there, this is a welcome bit of info. Like always, we take these lists with a grain of salt. Although, in this ratings panel, there are some very reputable cigar people involved.

My take away from this was that a decent list of current production cigars was put together.

LINK

Thanks for the list, what would be your top 10?

My top would probably be the AF Anejo and certainly the Padron's would appear. I also might include the Cohiba CC maduro somewhere in the top 10 but obviously they couldn't do that. Most of the others are fairly unfamiliar to me. Also, seems like they forgot the AF Work of Art Maduro which I still think is pretty good. My $.o2.

Edit to add I also like the MF lB 22's and they would be there as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list, what would be your top 10?

My top would probably be the AF Anejo and certainly the Padron's would appear. I also might include the Cohiba CC maduro somewhere in the top 10 but obviously they couldn't do that. Most of the others are fairly unfamiliar to me. Also, seems like they forgot the AF Work of Art Maduro which I still think is pretty good. My $.o2.

That's a pretty good list and I'm happy to see the Ashton AM is in the top 9 (one of my favorites). Golfgar, the WOAM is ranked #15 under the AF Hemingway Maduros.

The only caveat is that they are ranking maduro lines rather than specific maduro vitolas and despite having smoke most of these lines, I'm not sure if I've smoked the BEST of each of those lines. Would be nice to see a ranking matrix somewhere that ranks sizes within lines.

That's a pretty good list and I'm happy to see the Ashton AM is in the top 9 (one of my favorites). Golfgar, the WOAM is ranked #15 under the AF Hemingway Maduros.

The only caveat is that they are ranking maduro lines rather than specific maduro vitolas and despite having smoke most of these lines, I'm not sure if I've smoked the BEST of each of those lines. Would be nice to see a ranking matrix somewhere that ranks sizes within lines.

Personally I don't think all Hemmingway's are created equal and agree with your caveat.

I think it was a good list and excellent panel of judges. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see Pete Johnson and Steve Saka pick several cigars on their list were cigars they blended.

My favs would be....

1) Anejo/Padron 1964 Maduro (tie)....not a fan of the 1926s at all.
2) Illusione/Tat Black...(tie)
3) Hemingway Maduro....when they're on, but that's been rare the last 5-6 years. That's one of those "back in the day" cigars.
4) Ashton Aged Maduro...with a little extra age on them.
5) Liga #9
6) Tat J21
7) Believe it or not, the Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduro (the lancero is the best one, the robusto...meh)....GREAT morning cigar!

I have always enjoyed the Ortega Series D maduros, I still have the OR of them in various sizes....very creamy. The Davidoff is OK as is the Padron Family Reserve, but not worth the money they ask for them.

I can't wait to try a few more on this list. I heard good things about the Leccia Luchador from a few guys. Never tried a My Father 1922 Maduro...I'll definitely seek out a few of them to sample.

Cool list though.

Good read. Thanks for posting, Gary!

I think I'm in agreement with their consensus; 1926 Serie is best, followed by 1964 Anniversary. Anejo certainly deserves a high spot on the list. Illusione Maduro IMNSHO is the best of the San Andreas lot, especially in the ~88~ and ~68~. I'd put it over anything coming out of My Father, but that's just my taste.

I also like the assortment of "ties" with a lot of different stuff.

My top 5, and I'll preface this by saying I don't typically prefer the strong earthiness, anise, black licorice or ashy flavor some maduros tend to produce. It typically just does not mesh well with me, just like some who do not mesh well with Cohiba grassiness.

1)Padron 1964
2)Tat Black
3)My Father 1922 Le Bijou
4)Fuente Anejo
5)Fuente WOAM/Cohiba (Cuban) Maduro

1. Padron 1926 maduro
2. Fuente Anejo
3. Oliva Series V maduro
4. Pepin JJ Maduro
5. Hemingway Signature

I wouldn't put it in my top 5, but one of my absolute go to maduro everyday cigars is the La Aroma de Cuba. Great cigar, especially for the price.

I would add the best maduro I've ever had is the Tat Frank, but those are nearly impossible to find now.

1. Padron 1926 maduro
2. Fuente Anejo
3. Oliva Series V maduro
4. Pepin JJ Maduro
5. Hemingway Signature

I forgot about listing them...very nice maduro. The 2008 Especial torpedo was one of my all time favorites!

Thanks for the reminder Sneedly.

Good article. I have had several of those listed, four out of the top five. I just prefer any cigar in maduro. Naturals to me taste like pure tobacco, nothing special, in most cases. I do like a few naturals and corojo. My taste is the maduro, but it will not stop me from trying or enjoying other leafs.