• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Internet Sales Tax Looms

Funny. A couple hundred years ago, it seems, that there was another big to do with taxes. Isn't it funny how history is one big revolving door?

Strange and sad, I don't think Americans as a whole have the heart to stand up to things like this anymore. They just seem like sheeple not thinkers.

Think about the amount of bookkeeping that will be involved with something like this. I don't see it happening. They've been talking about this for years.

Think about the amount of bookkeeping that will be involved with something like this. I don't see it happening. They've been talking about this for years.

Aye, but there's a new gun to our heads now. All this "we need to do this or else" talk over the last several months has been very effective at eroding away resistance to more taxes and fees. The only thing in favor of the people on this one is that it doesn't only stick it to one demographic group.

True, but think about the money involved. If the new President wants to add a ton more $$$ to the Federal & State coffers, it WILL happen.

What State would vote this down if it's spearheaded by the President and Senate?

Think about it...the Internet dealt the B&M stores a serious blow over the last 10 years with cheap prices and no taxes...now our Federal Government could deal the Internet stores a serious blow by eliminating their advantage. Can the B&M return to it's former glory? Or will the current landscape of our economy prevent that from happening.

More questions than answers...only time will tell.

couldnt the internet sites just move their base of operations to locations that have little to no tax, and then not have to really worry about this tax issue or would it be a tax based on just the internet and not like a B&M which is based on location.
( have not read the article i apologize if this was answered within it.)

edit: read article disregard
my ? now would be, could these companies go over seas like some gambling sites and still peddle their wares in that manner and skirt the tax issue?

If I recall correctly the Boston Tea Party started over a ½ or 1% sales tax. Where has our taste for freedom gone. Just another nail in the coffin for our country. I hate to say it, but unless things change we will see the end of the United States of America in our lifetime. We may also see the rise of the "People's Republic of North America" too :(

Ery

The SSTGB already has some of the biggest retailers around in its pocket, including Wal-Mart, Borders, and J.C. Penney.

One more reason to not shop at Wal-Marx, I mean mart.

This type of action doesn't surprise me. You are to report internet purchases of certain value to your state for proper taxing. Look at what Minnesota did. I've said for years that they will start taxing the Internet sales at some point and yeah, I can see it happening.

Logistically it wouldn't be that hard to do. It would be called something like a National Internet Sale's Tax. WHAM!!! Done and over with. Then the Fed Government would take a piece of the pie and then divide it between the 50 states. Not as hard as one would think. But its one more reason why I wouldn't order even less on the internet. The stuff I want, is imported in from Russia so it would make it nearly impossible to attain some of that stuff at a reasonable price. Since I can't walk in stores to buy it and thus, I have to order it online or just not have it. And with this being America, I should be able to get it online at minimal hassle. As the shipping costs of what I order isn't exactly cheap.

Umm..., anyone else wondering how this is going to affect all of those purchases of stuff from a particular island, somewhere south of the Miami region?