• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Iphone and Exchange Server question..

Niko

For those of you who have the Iphone do you have it synced up with your Exchange Server? What version are you using? Do you have to use a third party app. for it to work or have they got it working out of the box?

Thanks!

It can work out of the box. If no account has been configured, select MS Exchange, enter you e-mail address, domain name, username and password.
The default description will be the e-mail address but may be changed to anything (ie my e-mail), hit next.
You should then see the screen asking for the server name enter mobile.(your domain name).com and hit next.
You might get an error "Unable to verify certificate" just hit accept.
After this you should receive confirmation that the Exchange account is verified and be immediately presented with the sync with Exchange screen, click save. It will take some time for the mailbox and folders to sync.
On the settings page, under mail, contacts, calendars you can configure options for the e-mail account IE days of email to sync, how many messages to show, font size, siggie. etc. You will also find options for calendar and contacts as well.

It can work out of the box. IF no account has been configured, select MS Exchange, enter you e-mail addy domain name\username and password.
The default description witll be the e-mail address but may be changed to anything (ie my e-mail), hit next.
You should then see the screen asking for the server name enter mobile.(your domain.com) and hit next.
You might get an error "Unable to verify certificate" just hit accept.
After this you should receive confirmation that the Exchange account is verified and be immediately presented with the sync with Exchange screen, click save. It will take some time for the mailbox and folders to sync.
On the settings page, under mail, contacts, calendars you can configure options for the e-mail account IE days of email to sync, how many messages to show, font size, siggie. etc. YOu will also find options for calendar and contacts as well.

Now that's a fantastic answer! Atlasm, you the man! :thumbs:

I had the office IT guy configure my 3G iPhone with an exchange server so I could delete (for example) emails from one of three locations (phone, office, home) and have it sync'd between all three. It works fantastic for me and waaaaaay better than the old way I did things... which was to update each location when I got there (much too time consuming and redundant).

The downside for me was that I lost all the contacts I had inputted through iTunes. My iPhone doesn't sync contacts with iTunes anymore... only the contacts on Entourage (MAC at home) and Outlook (Dell at office).

Hope that helps.

The exchange portion works well. The VPN has some issues yet. The phone is set to disconnect the VPN quite often until it gets fixed in a future version. If you can access your exchange server without it it will work much better...less secure, but work much better.

-gp

I've not had issues with using the VPN on the iPhone. Could it be a configuration-specific issue?

I've not had issues with using the VPN on the iPhone. Could it be a configuration-specific issue?

Are you using it through the carrier network or wireless? On a carrier network it disconnects when the timout expires/sleeps. It then will reconnect if you have auto connect configured, however if you use one time passwords that need to be generated, its a real pain in the A$$. The only way around it that I know of right now is device based authentication.
-gp

Are you using it through the carrier network or wireless? On a carrier network it disconnects when the timout expires/sleeps. It then will reconnect if you have auto connect configured, however if you use one time passwords that need to be generated, its a real pain in the A$$. The only way around it that I know of right now is device based authentication.
-gp

I'm using it both carrier and wireless (usually carrier) -- but I am not using one-time passwords.

If you have a first generation iPhone, you have to update it to iPhone 2.0 before you can connect to Exchange.

Keith