• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is the new Magnum 50 as good as the old Magnum 50 LE 2005?

rawrr

I only found a couple reviews on the new Magnum 50.
Anyone else tried this? I really want to grab some if they are as good as the 2005 LE.

I believe they are different cigars. The EL being a 'maduro' wrapper.

" The careful selection of a two-year aged wrapper from the upper level of the plant grants it a darker color and turns this product into something unique."

I believe they are a similar blend but different cigars. The EL is aged for 2 years and has the Maduro wrapper while the new ones do not. So only time will tell as to whether these end up being as great a cigar as the EL's.

Lets clarify something. HSA has never claimed that the ELs have maduro wrappers since only the Cohiba Maduros have maduro wrappers. Most of the ELs have darker wrappers that some vendors have cleverly marketed as maduros, but I've seen some ELs with wrappers as light as the classic light brown Cohiba wrappers.

One of the reviews I've seen said that these are smoking great right out of the box. I'm eventually going to order a 5er to try and see from there.

Lets clarify something. HSA has never claimed that the ELs have maduro wrappers since only the Cohiba Maduros have maduro wrappers. Most of the ELs have darker wrappers that some vendors have cleverly marketed as maduros, but I've seen some ELs with wrappers as light as the classic light brown Cohiba wrappers.

Very true!

edit - the EL is FANTASTIC! :thumbs:

Not even close. Maybe in a cple yrs the Newer Mag 50 will be on par. I have a feeling a different wrapper was use. Same binder and filler.

Very true. I think all that Habanos says as far as the wrappers are that they are aged two years and come from the top portion of the leaf. I believe it was the UK market that started calling them Maduros....

Anyways, I imagine that the '05 EL Mag 50 and the current production are different beast. Not only are the blends likely to be different, the tobacco is from different harvest so that would account for some variation by itself. I look forward to trying the new Mag 50, but only when the price comes down to where it should be...say the $9-10 a stick mark.

Very true. I think all that Habanos says as far as the wrappers are that they are aged two years and come from the top portion of the leaf. I believe it was the UK market that started calling them Maduros....

Anyways, I imagine that the '05 EL Mag 50 and the current production are different beast. Not only are the blends likely to be different, the tobacco is from different harvest so that would account for some variation by itself. I look forward to trying the new Mag 50, but only when the price comes down to where it should be...say the $9-10 a stick mark.

Those two facts speak for themselves. Now if I cpould find some reasonably priced EL 50s, I'd be a happy man :D

I am looking for some of these ELs diligently (Anyone want to let a 5er go :)!). I think EL smoke is far superior to the curent 50. Just MHO.

Jim

I love Upmanns, and have read one review by someone whose palette I trust that these are very good.

That said, I think I'll hold off and spend my cigar money on some cigars that I like that may not be around much longer.

You keep the mag 50s and send me the super coronas. All you can eat baby

I have a box on the way, so once I get them and let them rest in the humi for a bit to settle I'll be sure to most a review. I intend on smoking the EL and current Mag 50 one after the other or maybe even side by side to see what I think of the two.

Have smoked a new mag 50, very very pleasant cigar, now I have to locate some EL's to compare them.
Wish me luck.

Rene

I smoked a Magnum 50 right out of the box and it was amazing. One of the best Cubans I have ever smoked.

Having said that, I have not had a 05 LE.