• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is there a wine cooler

I like the way you think Flam! :D Always go bigger! I'm very happy with these two Urbina's, got the two year warranty on each for $20. Shame they're sold out on Overstock, going for $80 right now. I know they're definitely going to come in to some good use this summer as I'm sure the temps in my house will hit above 70F, even with the A/C running. Came home yesterday and wife had the A/C off and was probably about 78F inside. However, no worries as I have both units going and they are mid to low 60's steady (that's without any timer).

All you'd have to do is as Dr. M said. Get a bunch of empty boxes and load it up. About 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of beads and good to go. I have numerous boxes in mine that I keep singles, fivers, etc. in. I'd like to have some pretty shelves and veneer on the sides, and trays. However as stated before, I'm spending what I have on smokes! :laugh:

Get a bunch of empty boxes and load it up.

Is that something I could just ask my B&M for? Do they have to be cedar boxes like Pepin stuff or just any cigar boxes at all?

I'm just wondering, is the purpose of the empty boxes just to take up room so there isn't as much air to humidify, or is the cedar a part of the humidity function? Absorbing, etc.?

i think the boxes help stabilize the humidity. From what i have gleaned in my short time here, i think you might want to try posting in the BST forum for empty boxes, I think many will give them to you free.

Sorry to go off-topic, but Flamchop, what is that picture in your avatar?

Sorry to go off-topic, but Flamchop, what is that picture in your avatar?

lol... that's a Roland TR-707. It's an old drum sequencer (drum machine) used a lot in the 80's in pop music, rap, etc. I'm a lifelong drummer I guess it's just my own inside joke. But if you can find one of these things and hear the sounds they produce, it'll be like getting teleported back in time haha. I love em!

I'll probably be going with that same vinotemp, as I said, do it right the first time, ya know?

I know many of you don't have one, but if you do the basement is a very good place to keep your humidors provided you keep it reasonably under control. Since I moved everything down there I have had zero problems with temp or humidity. I don't even plug my fridge in anymore, it's just a fancy looking coolerdor at this point.

I am facing warm temps in my shop this summer. I have religiously frozen every cigar, 3 days at -20 Fahrenheit. I believe I can keep the humidity down but temperature will be a problem.

Given that all eggs should be dead will the temperature be a problem if the humidity is controlled?

I wish I had a basement!

I'm currently freezing my stash. You said you're freezing at -20F. I'm sure my household freezer isn't going below 0F. Does it necessarily matter how cold the freezer is or will my regular kitchen freezer do a good enough job?

I'll be moving into a 1 story, bottom floor apartment in vegas, so, no basement, hardly any "non exterior" walls.

I'm confused about the Vinotemp... I set it up a couple days ago... I have the temp set to 66 degrees. I put both my hygros in there, which I THOUGHT were calibrated... but may need to be adjusted again. Anyway, side by side on the floor of the empty Vinotemp they both read 66 degrees, but one reads 67% RH and the other reads 72%.

Should the humidity readings be this high in an empty fridge??? I checked the back wall and the tray, no condensation at all... I would have expected readings in the 50's? I suppose once some cigars, trays, boxes, etc. start going in there that could drop significantly... but I'm wondering what the heck would happen with 2 lbs. of beads in there now.

Dr., take a look at http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=36623 for some information and additional links that may help you out.

A few comments based on my research and observations:

- TE vs compressor doesn't make a difference for a humidor
- Fluctuations in RH is caused by the temperature swing because of condensation. The less cooling that happens, the more stable so put it in the coolest place possible. To compensate for RH changes, use a lot of beads.
- Store singles in cedar boxes but there is no need to line anything with cedar, use beads
- Short term changes in RH isn't going to ruin anything as you should have things in boxes which create a a micro-climate of sorts.

Let me know if you do a write up on the conversion and I will add it to the links list.

Thanks,
-Chad