• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this a good deal?

rawrr

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I know I have to introduce myself and I "did", but after spending 20 minutes typing my intro, when I hit enter, my
message was gone. I will introduce myself again later.

My question is : Is it a good deal?? It is from one of the Canada website.

The 6 CXXXX that Cigar Aficionado calls "Outstanding" showcase the best that CXXX has to offer. From the classic Montecristo #2 to The Partagas Serie D No. 4, this is one collection you want in your humidor. Strong through mild you will experience all the flavors of CXXX's master tobacco growers. This sampler is in great demand, as you can imagine. Our supplies are limited so order today so you won't miss out.

6 Top CXXX Cigar Sampler Includes 1 each of the following:
- Montecristo No. 2 Torpedo - Rated 97 (6 1/8" x 52)
- Cohiba Siglo VI - Rated 96 (5 7/8" x 52)
- Montecristo Edmundo - Rated 93 (5 3/8" x 52)
- Trinidad Robusto Extra (6 1/8" x 50)
- Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto - Rated 92 (4" x 50")
- Partagas Serie D No. 4 - Rated 91 (4 7/8" x 50")

The total for this sampler is US$89.95

Since this is my first post, if I posted something wrong, pls correct me directly.

I am not sure if I can ask this kind of question here, so I put XXX to replace the uba and XXXX uban characters.

Thanks!

Not the best deal IMO.
Maybe if you want to try a bunch of singles but seems too pricey.

-Rob

I definitely wouldn't rate the Sig VI that high, and imo the PSP2 outperforms the Monte #2 any day of the week. CA sure has some strange rating criteria.

Wonder why only a few have responded to this young lad????

??? :0 :whistling:

mac

Hands down the TTT would be at the top of that list for me. I think CA's ratings are bought and paid for.

Hands down the TTT would be at the top of that list for me. I think CA's ratings are bought and paid for.

Despite the fact that you are wrong, I'd love to see you attempt to present your evidence.

Yeah, CAs ratings are suspect, IMHO. Good sampler but you would do better to do some box splits and be patient. But if you really HAVE to try these now, here is a rough idea.

Ballpark at near box price:

- Montecristo No. 2 Torpedo - Rated 97 (6 1/8" x 52) - 9
- Cohiba Siglo VI - Rated 96 (5 7/8" x 52) ------------18
- Montecristo Edmundo - Rated 93 (5 3/8" x 52)-------8
- Trinidad Robusto Extra (6 1/8" x 50)----------------15
- Hoyo De Monterrey Petit RobustoRated 92 (4" x 50")-5
- Partagas Serie D No. 4 - Rated 91 (4 7/8" x 50")-----8
Total--------------------------------------------------63

So your paying an extra $26 over box price. If it's worth it to you then do it, I guess.

Despite the fact that you are wrong, I'd love to see you attempt to present your evidence.
I doubt Hoss meant this statement as a proven fact - just a strongly worded opinion.

CA comes up with some strange opinions of their own sometimes, IMHO. But once again, they are opinions - take em or leave em. And that's a fact. :D

Not bought and paid for, but the rating system is set out in a certain way to allow "weaker" cigars to still score reasonably high.

Yeah, CAs ratings are suspect, IMHO. Good sampler but you would do better to do some box splits and be patient. But if you really HAVE to try these now, here is a rough idea.

So your paying an extra $26 over box price. If it's worth it to you then do it, I guess.

Thanks so much for all the replies here.

I just get into cigar for 2 months, and I really enjoy this hobby a lot. Although I like mild-medium more at this moment, I think my taste will
certainly change in 1-2 years. Over the last 2 months, I've already entered the visicous cycle of buying cigar -> running out of room ->
buying humidor-> filling up the humidor -> running out of room -> buy larger humdior ->.......
So far, I've already have 5 20cts, 1 100cts, 1 150cts, 1 250cts humidors and they are almost filled with 2-4 dollar cigars like 5 vegas,
5 vegas gold, Gurkha, Perdomo Reserve, La Aurora, Rocky Patel, Indian Tabac, Don pepin Garcia, and most of them are simplers.

I read a lot from this forum and really learnt a lot. I heard that most cxxxx are not aged, so it will make a huge
difference after some humidor times. That's the reason why I would like to acquire the above sampler and let it rest for 1-2 years, and maybe
at that time, I will have developed a more sophisticated taste to appreciate these cigars.

But after reading all the comments, I think I will pass this one and continue to look for a better deal.

Thanks so much for all the replies here.

I just get into cigar for 2 months, and I really enjoy this hobby a lot. Although I like mild-medium more at this moment, I think my taste will
certainly change in 1-2 years. Over the last 2 months, I've already entered the visicous cycle of buying cigar -> running out of room ->
buying humidor-> filling up the humidor -> running out of room -> buy larger humdior ->.......
So far, I've already have 5 20cts, 1 100cts, 1 150cts, 1 250cts humidors and they are almost filled with 2-4 dollar cigars like 5 vegas,
5 vegas gold, Gurkha, Perdomo Reserve, La Aurora, Rocky Patel, Indian Tabac, Don pepin Garcia, and most of them are simplers.

I read a lot from this forum and really learnt a lot. I heard that most cxxxx are not aged, so it will make a huge
difference after some humidor times. That's the reason why I would like to acquire the above sampler and let it rest for 1-2 years, and maybe
at that time, I will have developed a more sophisticated taste to appreciate these cigars.

But after reading all the comments, I think I will pass this one and continue to look for a better deal.

You may want to do 2 things....

1) Post an intro in the 'Intro Forum'.
2) Check out the 'Nebie Sampler Trade' thread.

T\I agree that the Newbie Sampler Trade is a great way to sample a variety of cigars. You can correspond with the fog you're paired with and tell them what you've tried and liked and not liked. Then they select a sampler that will broaden your palette a bit and just introduce you to cigars you may not otherwise stumble into trying.

Also, it's an opportunity to become acquainted with a fellow forum member! :D

I agree that the Newbie Sampler Trade is a great way to sample a variety of cigars. You can correspond with the fog you're paired with and tell them what you've tried and liked and not liked. Then they select a sampler that will broaden your palette a bit and just introduce you to cigars you may not otherwise stumble into trying.

Also, it's an opportunity to become acquainted with a fellow forum member! :D

One more point. The sampler you referred to was all the obvious, popular choices. Take it from someone who's recently gone down that road - they are over-rated. Good cigars but it's the ones you don't hear much about you want to try. And they tend to be the smaller ones, too. ;)

If you like mild to medium bodied cigars, most of the offerings your talking about are on the full bodied side of the fence.

I'm not one to talk by any means, but I would suggest procuring some of the more easily attainable favorites that you can read about in the reviews section. There are some SERIOUSLY good cigars that don't cost an arm and a leg.

The Newbie Sampler Trade is a hell of a good deal. And as suggested before, you get to buddy up with someone who knows the forum and the people..

Asking about ISOM smokes as a brand newbie is a good way for people to roll their eyes at you and not take you seriously.

ISOM stands for Island South of Miami, fyi.

ISOM stands for Island South of Miami, fyi.

Thanks everyone for the opinion. It really helps a lot.

@Turk10mm, I really have no idea what ISOM stands for. Now I got it :)

I really want to thank Vortex for all the input, and especially your valuable information through the PM.

I am going to order:
MONTECRISTO No.5 n-25
PARTAGAS - SHORTS n-25

Yeah, CAs ratings are suspect, IMHO.

Suspect, why? Seriously, I'm curious why people think there is a conspiracy going on here. CA ratings are exactly this:

A few people's subjective opinion of a particular cigar. They have posted their methodology... I'd suggest reading this thread, there's some good info on the subject there.

I dislike all six of those cigars and even if I liked them, the price of that sampler is kind of high.

So the answer to your question is NO.