• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is this normal?

Lupa Namfauk

I recently set up a coolidor and based on it's size it called for slightly less than 1/2 lb of heartfelt beads for proper humidication. The beads I bought were 65% RH(because it stays pretty humid here in SC I figured it would be better to go with 65% over 70%) and I also purchased the calibration kit and hygrometer. The calibration kit was a 75.5% kit so I calibrated the hygrometer to 76%. Well after putting some empty boxes and tupperware in the cooler along with the hydrated beads and the hygrometer the coolidor settled in at about 67% RH. I then added about 40 sticks and the humidity remained the same, this was over a week ago. Well this past weekend I went on a small shopping spree and picked up another dozen or so sticks and also purchased a coupler more old cigar boxes to take up more space in the coolidor. Well within 24 hours of adding the new sticks and boxes the RH shot up to 72%, that was on Saturday evening. Today I checked the RH again it had crept back down to 69%. Anybody have any ideas on what caused the RH jump? Could it have been a result of the store maintaining their inventory at a higher RH and when I added all of that at once it caused the jump? Looks like things are on their way back to where they should be, but I just want to make sure it isn't something I am doing wrong.

The sticks you bought were over humidified. This should settle out in a week or two. If it stays high or goes up, post again, here.

The sticks you bought were over humidified. This should settle out in a week or two. If it stays high or goes up, post again, here.

x2 many B&M's over humidify. The problem will correct itself, just keep an eye on it.

I don't have this problem when I buy from my local, I usually only buy a couple singles at a time from them with an occasional box purchase (and I think they keep it below 70%) I usually purchase boxes online and have found several suppliers over humidify,

Good solid advice, as usual.......

Let it rest for a day or 2 check back in on it

Tim

Great reasoning behind the "Let them rest for week" theory.

My local keeps inventory at about 72%, while I prefer to smoke them at 63%~65%.

I'm in Beaufort, SC, so I know what the ambient Rh gets like in the summer months... It'll definately give your beads a workout! I would suggest adding more, even my 48Qt has over a pound of 65's

Dennis~

As usual you got some great answers form fellow BOTL. Most if not all B&M shops keep their humidors at 70+ and it will take a little while for the moisture to work its' way back out of the cigars and boxes.

Most tobacconists keep their cigars at 70+ on the humidity scale. The reason being is that when people come into their stores almost everyone squeezes the cigars to see if they are fresh. If tobacconists kept their cigars where we like them.... low 60's, they would have tons of cracked cigars.

Thanks to all. I'm starting to get some very precious cargo in there and I guess I am a bit on the cautious side.

bigwhiteash - Our family is building a house on Fripp Island, man I love beaufort, any good B&M's I should check out when I am down that way? A half bound of 65% beads is a fair amount more than it actually calls for with my size cooler, but I figured it's better to have more than not enough.

On Hilton Head, there is The Smoke Stack and Island Cigars, both of which I've been in once or twice. There is a place in Bluffton that I can't recall the name of, never been there. In Savannah there are a few, but the only one I frequent is Outman Knife and Cigar in the Savannah Mall, a smallish place that has a nice selection of cigars, friendly with decent prices. Here in Beaufort, there is only Bills Liquor on Ladys Island that has a small selection of fairly nice smokes. I have a friend that has written up his business plan to open a cigar bar down on the waterfront, something this town could really use. I'll definately keep you all posted on his progress.

Most of my purchases are done online, a great portion of them right here in the BST forum ;)

Dennis~

I was reading somewhere on here that if you take a block of cedar and placed it in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour, let it cool and then place in humidor it will help reduce RH. Makes sense, but is it effective? If so, can a piece of a spanish cedar cigar box be used or even a whole box for that matter?