• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ISOM's and the airlines

indyrob

You smell like my sausage!
Maybe a stupid question, but when travelling with ISOM"S in your bags, should you unband or is that not a problem...Going to Seattle on the 13th, and am taking some sticks with me on carry-on. How aggressive is the search on cigars? are they just gonna pass a quick look or what?

It is a horrible idea to travel with anything that might get you in trouble..period...wether it is a cutter..torch or anything.

I went to mexico a few months back and our bags just got a passing glance..did not evne check my carryon at all...

but overall..still not with it

I would Fed Ex them home and just buy some sticks to smoke whenever and wherever you land.

I agree with Matty it is not worth the hassle.

I carried mine in my Cigar Caddy which was in my carry-on when I went to Vegas in March and had no problems. They didn't even look in my bag other than on the x-ray. But, I agree better be safe than sorry.

You're fine. If anything, unband them. Just have a nice little travelador to keep them safe on the trip. Don't bring your lighter, though! They will snag it, carry on or not. They will find it and take it. Just my .02 cents.

ree

yeah...I'm way thinking that I should mail them...I was at the P.O. today mailing out a pkg. and thought that I should just mail out my sticks too...oh well, I guess I need to go back tomorrow. I hate trippin on the small stuff, but everyone has a airport horror story to share...I just don't want to add another to my repatoire(???)

Thanks for all the input.
Mailing them tomorrow...

I take mine unbanded just to be safe. Always carry them on. Do not check them. Cutters are fine but no lighters at all anymore. Buy a bic when you get where you're going.

what about the punch? Mines on my keyring...uh...nevermind. Like they're gonna check my keys. Last time they tripped on my belt and watch. I guess thier little wands were set on annoy.

It is not illegal to have Cuban cigars in your possession, it is illegal to import or export them. With that, I have taken my travel humidor packed with cigars on everywhere I go and have never been questioned! As a matter of fact, the last time I was going through JFK in New York the TSA guy asked me to open my traveldor “just to check the contents” and when he saw what was inside he said “If you ever need a smoking buddy, I am free”!

Just finished coming back from a cruise to the carribean :cool: . I hand carried a tupperdor with a variety of isoms in my carryon bag :whistling: :whistling: and had no problem with any of the airline security folks. And like a stupid newb I packed away my nice torch in my luggage along with a cutter, put it right on top and believe it or not I got tremendously lucky since it made it down and back without any trouble. In the future I will not be carrying the torch ;)

Hey IR where are you going to be in Seattle? I'm 15 minutes from downtown coming from the eastside (Bellevue). Maybe we can get together for a smoke?

BenjieV ;)

Personally, i would bring them in my Traveldor, and carry on. Is that ban on lighters applicable to wooden matches, anyone know?

lucasbuck said:
A punch is not a problem.
[snapback]185421[/snapback]​

i had to go to the court house awhile back for a speeding ticket (shut up eric! :laugh: ) anyways, they have metal detectors up there now, and they asked what my punch was. I explained and the guard replied "Awesome!". As far as ISOMs coming into america, my roomie brought me two monti #2's from Europe over X-Mas. He put them in a water bottle on the side of his bag, and no one said anything. Good luck!

KB

Carry the smokes onboard in travelador. No limitation on carrying matches on plane or checking them in luggage. A cutter can be placed in checked baggage.

Just came back from Florida and had no problems.

Cutters, punch and torch lighter were in a checked bag and was nailed for random inspection in both directions and all made it home safe. Smokes were in my carry on and no problems there either.

JOE.M. said:
It is not illegal to have Cuban cigars in your possession, it is illegal to import or export them.

Ditto what he said. As long as your not leaving the country and coming back in, it shouldn't be as problem. I have numerous legally obtained Habanos from when my parents were allowed to visit and bring back $100 worth of goods. If anybody tried to confiscate those there would be a lawsuit.

Good points JOE M and ricmac.

Also note there are fakes sold for novelty purposes. You can't expect a TSA employee to be able to tell the difference.

FYI for all of you who would be crazy enough to even think of bringing in cubans real, fake or whatever! With customs you are guilty period if you get caught bring in countriband into the US and if customs believes they are real even if they are fakes you are guilty until you prove innocence and they will confiscate your cigars.

With that said is anyone heading for Canada this weekend or a Cruise to the Bahamas I have a request ;)

LOL @ Ben. When I cruised the Caribbean, I just packed my Caddy and put it in my carry on. No problems whatsoever. It was but nobody said a thing. I did bring back some HC Reserva in my checked baggage and I was lucky that that wasn't searched. Just do what everyone has said and don't worry so much.

benjiev said:
FYI for all of you who would be crazy enough to even think of bringing in cubans real, fake or whatever! With customs you are guilty period if you get caught bring in countriband into the US and if customs believes they are real even if they are fakes you are guilty until you prove innocence and they will confiscate your cigars.

With that said is anyone heading for Canada this weekend or a Cruise to the Bahamas I have a request ;)
[snapback]185521[/snapback]​

The OP, and I think most of the discussion is talking about domestic travel. Of course when you have to go through customs it's a whole new ballgame.