• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I've bought a new home!

Congratulations, C!  Hope it gets finished sooner rather than later.

CMontoya79 said:
Stated 7-9 months, sooner if progress is made during nice weather.

Thanks fellas!

Anyone here who's been through that process ever have any issues or questions about the contract? Is it normal or am I simply being overly concerned?

Thanks,

C
Sorry I didn't see the timeline in the first post.  In Missouri the closing is done by the title insurance company.  Pay attention to the detailed closing costs on the documents.  The last time I bought a house from a very reputable builder here, it was recommended that we use the title insurance company they recommended.  While in the scheme of things it wasn't a great deal of money, I ended up getting a credit from them for $259 (box of $10 cigars if you think about it in those terms) for charges that I disputed.  The whole title insurance thing can be a bit of a racket here.  It may be worthwhile to check around with firms other than the one the builder recommends, although the builder normally has a good price negotiated ahead of time, so I focused on the individual charges.  After that closing I just hired my own attorney to go over the documents in subsequent closings. 

Our language in contract with this builder states the title company. So most fees are paid by then but we are still responsible for filing plus a couple others. This contact is pretty solid, CYA for builder but as buyer you simply must understand and agree or walk away if you are not comfortable. We only have 8 questions after review, half of which are fees sellers will either waive, or inform us when those fees are due ie prior to or at closing.

CONGRATULATIONS!  I am happy for you and yours...

Might I also suggest you walk through some of those in the being built stage. Are the beams straight. We looked way back when and found one house with 13 nails to hold down a support beam to the footer, and yes, it looked like shit. Once the walls are up, you own what they hide. Just saying.

But enjoy, wish I could go back and start from scratch

Oh yeah, when they start your place, take pictures so you know where the pipes, elec. and stuff is when the rock covers it.

We did walk through a couple that were framed and some drywall and others that were framed drywall in progress. I'm gonna snap photos, that's a great idea!