• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ive got BEETLES!

Krautle87 said:
Might I ask, why does the manufacturer take the initiative to freeze the cigars before shipment? When putting out an expensive product like this, you would think they would do all they can to insure quality and prevent these kind of things.
[snapback]235966[/snapback]​

Beetles only hatch at temp. outside the normal spectrum. Since the manufacturers keep them in the proper enviroment 100% of the time their is no need for them to create the added overhead needed to freeze every cigar they make.

Once they are in the consumers hand it is the collectors responsibility to keep them at temprature and protect them IMHO.

Just thought I'd add a quick link to some educational photos and videos of these little bastards.

Having never seen what they can do, nor what they look like- you know what they say "A picture is worth a thousand words"

Wow....that really sucks about your high quality cigars. I shall definitely be refridgerating my sticks for a day, then freezing them for three, and backwards from there. I cant afford to lose mine to these little bastards!

-Zach

Sorry for your loss. This is the first I've heard of freezing sticks but I just got done putting mine in the fridge. Thanks for the link BrewMeister

Jefrfro,
I'm so sorry to be reading about this beetle mishap, and am happy you've found some sort of resolution to this problem by freezing your sticks. I've never had this problem (knock on wood) but also can only wonder how many people here have had this problem (let alone how prevalent this problem really is).

I know a lot of people here have valuable suggestions through anecdotal history, and the most popular is freezing your 'gars (with one person who swears by boiling them for proper safety measures! :laugh: ). However, if this is the thing that should be done to all cigars, how is it that it hasn't been more widely reported as preventative maintenance for all cigars?

Again, I ask this because I'd love to know more about the widespread problems with beetles, how prevalent this problem is, and hope that maybe something can get pinned to this newsgroup in regards to this.

Thanks for the thread and again sorry its happened to your valued cigars.
Darren :)

Gentlemen,

Unless you are using a commercial type freezer that can reach temperatures of -40 degrees, freezing your cigars is, well, like using duct tape to patch a garden hose leak. In other words this is a temporary fix. I know this from personal experience and research over the years. Larvae can survive extended periods of exposure to temperatures of 0 degrees just fine. Even with professional fumigation and/or commercial freezing, you are still rolling the dice. It could just be a matter of time and luck. The "safe time frame" really depends on what degree of fumigation (read: GAS) was done to the cigars before they left the factory and also on what type of tobacco you're dealing with; because certain tobaccos are far more prone to infestation. A professional fumigation will only assure a 12-18 month safety window. Sorry, but that's the reality. AS I mentioned, keep in mind that certain tobaccos are more prone to larvae than others, but, that's another subject. The reality is that ALL cigar tobacco veins are home to microscopic beetle larvae, I don't care what cigar brand is involved. I repeat, ALL tobacco has dormant microscopic larvae in the juice of the veins. So, between the time the cigars leave the factory to the time you receive them, chances are that along the way somewhere, the cigars may have been exposed to an unfortunate but optimum temp/humidity level which is the perfect hatching environment. This "perfect" environment is usually created around 75 degrees and 75% humidity. In this environment larvae will awaken, hatch, an now start their quest to burrow out of the cigar in search of water. This may only have affected 1 cigar out of thousand, but if you happen to get THAT cigar, it's enough to cause an outbreak for you. And unfortunately it can take weeks or months before you notice any outwardly signs of an impending infestation. This is a problem that we manufacturers face every single day.

If you follow the following course of action, you will be one step ahead of a possible disaster. Regularly inspect every single cigar in every single box you are keeping in your humidors. The best way to do this is to get a piece of bright white paper and gently tap the foot of all the cigars, one by one, over the paper. If you see microscopic "dust like" particles (not small pieces of tobacco) peppering the paper, you can be absolutely certain that you have an infected cigar, or worse yet, cigars. You can also be certain that you will soon have a major outbreak. This is the first stage of an infestation. This early warning technique will save you a lot of heartache and will give you the ability to immediately pull any infected cigar or cigars, which by the way, are still very smokeable at this point. The other cigars in close proximity to a compromised cigar may or may not have been infected. Usually the infection starts with one cigar because only one beetle has hatched and immediately starts munching on neighboring cigars, thus the appearance of the dreaded "hole". This of course is a best case scenario. However, if cigars of the same batch or in the same box have traveled together (let's say in a box of 20 or 25) chances are that you can expect several, if not all, of those cigars to be affected. Now, the problem has become exponential. So, don't wait until you find those dreaded holes with scores of little bastards having lunch at your the expense of your hard earned money. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Cheers,

Great info Gael but there is no way I'm gonna look at over a thousand cigars one at a time. :0 I'll have to fight them with fire albeit slowly. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fire works everytime, I can attest to that. Beetles make a great 'popping" sound when torched :whistling: ;)

Thanks for that info Gael. I'll be doing that test with my cigars over a white piece of paper from now on.

My solution has been to quarantine new cigars. I keep all new boxes in a seperate cabinet at about 65%/70 degrees. After 1 year, I will move them to my long term storage cabinet. From what I have read, after that one year period, you can be pretty sure that any eggs wont hatch, as long as you keep the temp and humidity the same as what you have been storing them at. I had a friend who had been storing a lot of cigars at about 70 degrees/65% humidity. He made the mistake of bumping up the humidity to 70%. Even though the temp didnt change, he had a BIG outbreak, and lost many cigars.

sorry for your loss... i send my deepest condolances.

Salvage all you can my friend! and keep them isolated. there is hope! :thumbs:

moki said:
You guys have it all wrong.  I boil my cigars, haven't had a single outbreak of beetles.
[snapback]233196[/snapback]​

Or disecting them, right? :p

Edit: Great info Gael. Thanks.

can anyone confirm that putting your sticks in the freezer actually kills the beetle eggs? i could have sworn reading that your freezer will not get cold enough to destroy the eggs. seems like everyone knows what to do, just not why to do it.

i bet it was one of the old bastards here f'ing with everyone.
SamClemmons: "check this out, i bet you $20 i can get every jackass that sees this post to put his cigars in... i dont know, how bout his freezer"
CC: "DEAL. i'll put in an extra $20 if you get them using dry ice..."

:laugh:

I forgot about that. Dry Ice...what a maroon.

Wait...that was my comment :blush: