• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JohnnyO Mag47 and 1966

smokedawg

Per legend, these were rolled by Santos on January 4, 2014.  Regardless, I will always remember the day that I had my very first JohnnyO.  Why you ask? I assure you it has nothing to do with the cigar - well not entirely - but the cigar certainly adds to it.  Why then?  Well, on the morning of my very first JohhnyO, my wife woke me up by simply stating, "I'm pregnant."  WOAH!  My world has officially been rocked; I had already checked my tracking number and I knew that my package from John was due on Saturday, but this was an entirely unexpected package altogether.  (Yes, this will be our first child).

With that said, this is my first review and while I tried to note the flavors and tasting notes, it is more about the overall "experience."  Sorry for the rambling!  My wife and I joked that in order to get these cigars you needed to "know a guy, who knows a guy." But, these cigars have certainly surpassed all of my expectations. Onward to the reviews:

Mag47 (dry boxed 2 hours pre-smoke)
Wrapper: dark with a smooth, gossameresque sheen. No oils worth mentioning.  Definitely the darkest wrapper out of all of the cigars in the sampler. 
Construction: perfectly filled and none too wet.  Love the pigtail, it reminds me that I am truly going down the rabbit hole.
initial impression: this cigar smells like it is a working mans cigar - straight out of the fields - perhaps even a hint of sweat on the wrapper but definitely all tobacco.

Setting: Backyard overlooking the lake with my father-in-law - 70 degrees and sunshine.

Pre-light: pigtail cut and I know its on...No turning back now, I just hope that the smoking experience doesn't leave anything to be desired.  I ask myself if I should be smoking those Cohibas that I'd "forgotten" about at the bottom of the humidor or if I should crack open that box of HDM Epicure #2 that's been resting.  "No," my cigar voice says, "its time to venture into the unknown."  Truly, in more ways than I can even fathom. 

First Third: The shagfoot lights easily and gives me no hassle.  I like it, in fact, as it adds a bit of novelty to the smoke.  Once I reach the actual "body" of the smoke I get the faintest hint of something - which his hard to describe - but my initial reaction is that its just fresh tobacco twanginess.  And, indeed, it persists throughout the first two-thirds. It's quite pleasant because its entirely different from my normal smoking experience.  Also, I notice hints of saltiness and toasated nuts - again, this is the working mans cigar - but only sporadically.  Very smooth first third with minor burn issues.  Ash holding strong.

Second Third: This little stick is really going now!  I look over at my father-in-law, who is also having one (his first JohnnyO too), and simply state, "this is a good cigar."  He replies, "Yeah, I like it too."  Indeed, and the look in his eye lets me know that he is talking about more than just the cigar.  Very pleasant retrohale - smooth, medium bodied and stout but not overly so - almost perfect - still twangy but I am really, really starting to love the twang. I ask my father-in-law if he tastes the twang and he just nods. Hell if I know what that means, but I am enjoying it and it appears that he is too.  Ash finally let's go at about 3 inches.   After the ash, I start getting a little run, but nothing a little touch up can't fix though; there we go!  No spices to noted, yet, and not overly complex but very pleasant.  Cohiba? What Cohiba?  HDMEp2, JLS2, PSD4? What are those?  Oh yeah, the other sticks in the humidor...not one regret.

Final Third: Still burning well, which I find surprising due to how "fresh" these cigars are.  Nevertheless, no complaints.  Like the little engine that could, this stick keeps picking up steam.  From medium bodied and stout, we're almost at full-on DEFCON 2.  Where did my twang go?  Are you still there? Alas, the twang has all but disappeared and this thing has morphed into a stronger version of the Party Short on me.  Not complaining, just saying.  Full-bodied earth flavors until the very end and a hint of oakiness.  Good all the way down to the nub! 

Overall (1.25 to 1.5 hours): "Wow" - simply an amazing smoke - completely satisfied.  Thanks John!  You know its a good cigar when your father-in-law says, "this is definitely one of the best cigars I've ever had."  I merely nod -  mission accomplished. 

Post-script: No actual smoking pictures, as I wasn't expecting to do a review - but I will post an unlit picture soon to give an idea about the wrapper.  Unfortunately, it appears that these cigars have already gone into their "sick" period - I tried one tonight and about half-way through it became unbearable.  The first half was spot on though.  John recommended that I smoke these first and I am glad I did, because they were the oldest of the bunch.  No worries though, they can go to the back of the humidor to, like the phoenix, rise again.  AND, the Flying Pigs are spot on...so, theres always that.  

1966 (dry boxed 4-6 hours)
Wrapper: significantly lighter than the Mag47 but still dark.  No oils to mention.  Gossameresque sheen. 
Construction: Maybe a bit underfilled at the head; not terribly though. 
Initial Impression: this is going to be a beast and I have a feeling that I am going to love it!

Setting: Saturday night - a friend's house for a bonfire (I gave my inexperienced friend a Mag47 which he thoroughly enjoyed).  Sunday - again, the backyard by the lake with my father-in-law but this time with a fire in the fire pit and family friends. 

Pre-light: None of the working man smells associated with the Mag47 are noted. Very easy draw - significantly easier than the Mag47.

First Third: Ah, immediately I am greeted by the twang.  At this point, it feels like a long lost friend.  A very welcome taste! Very similar saltiness to the Mag47 but with more refined earthiness.  Perhaps, it is the larger format?  Ash holding strong. Love, love, love the retrohale never once harsh but salty and full of burnt twangy tobacco.  I am wishing I was on the beach...bonfire isn't bad though.  

Second Third: I have pine sap all over my hands from throwing logs onto the fire but it's not slowing this beast down.  This isn't my father-in-law's Davidoff - I know I am smoking a cigar.  With each retrohale I am greeted by salted earth flavor but with a twang - I like it a lot.  I definitely packed the right sticks for this gathering.  If only I had some coffee - preferably blue mountain variety - rather than this water for a pairing.  Nevertheless, very enjoyable.  Flavors aren't changing - very predictable but in a good way.  Burn goes a little bonkers on me - but its probably the fact that I'm downwind and the temperature has dropped significantly.

Final Third: I am hoping this beast lasts until the chicken is ready...probably not though, did you see how many charcoals he used? Ha, amateur, but I mind my own business. Again, the twang is gone - damn - and all I am left with is full-blown earthiniss and burnt tobacco.  I like it and I am not completely surprised by the shift.  My wife looks over, I nod, and she smiles accordingly.  What a day.  

Sunday: The same cigar two days in a row? What am I thinking?  Remember last night? Yeah, it was that good...only two left though.  Shall I share one with Dad?  Of course, let's see if he can handle it. This second one is, perhaps, less complex but definitely stronger from the get go.  Same twang, same saltiness, less earthiness - perhaps charred wood instead, and very light toasted nuts - perhaps cashews.  Reminiscent of a beefed up party short throughout the entire thing and it lasts 1.5 hours...out of this world. At one point, my father-in-law tried to tell the legend of JohnnyO to the others around the fire pit but something got lost in translation...but we knew and my wife knew.  In the end, that is all that matters.  I smoked mine all the way to the nub and my father-in-law had to bail with about 2 inches left, but he commented that this was even better than the Mag47 and stated that "THIS was really one of the best cigars he's ever had." 

Post-script: One heck of a weekend.  Thanks John!  In the end, we smoked these so fast they didn't even have a chance to turn.  Again, no pictures for this stick...all gone. When I noticed that John updated the March thread with these, I will admit, I was tempted to re-up.    I don't think I could finish them though, even with help, before they turned.  Maybe I will have to find out? But the 1966 is definitely a weekend smoke!

Good reviews, I enjoyed reading them. Sounds like you and your father in law had a great time. It's been a while since I last had a Johnny-O!, unfortunately, but I still remember the first time I had one. The thing smelled like barnyard and tasted frickin' incredible. Easily one of the best smokes I have had. Top ten.

Dang, you've made me realize it's time to order some. Guess I'll have to get the scratch together for it.

Nice, review. Enjoyed reading. I never had a Johnny-O, but always read good things about them. Looks like it's about time to try and get a hold to some of them.

Great review!  Like Charles, it's been a while since I've had one of John's smokes, thinking it may be about time after reading these.  I may have missed it, but what were the sizes on these?  Oh, and congratulations to you and the wife!

Kingantz said:
 I may have missed it, but what were the sizes on these? 

You didn't miss it, I just completely forgot.  The Mag47 was 6" x47 and the 1966 was 6 1/2" x 54.

Nice review Smokedawg...thanks for sharing.  Johnny's cigars are like that for me too.  When they are sick, they are really sick, but when they they are on, they can be really great cigars.  I like the thinner ring gauge cigars, but the construction tends to be better on the larger rg smokes.

Great review!

I enjoyed my first 1966 a week ago; really enjoyed it.

Great review man! Always had a good stick from Johnny O picked some 1966 they have been as good as advertised.

Great review. I just started smoking these a few months ago and really enjoy them. My two favorites are the Lanceros and the Esquisitos. I've been smoking them young with no problems. I haven't hit that sick period or smoked them with age yet. Both are coming though.

Light this! said:
Great review. I just started smoking these a few months ago and really enjoy them. My two favorites are the Lanceros and the Esquisitos. I've been smoking them young with no problems. I haven't hit that sick period or smoked them with age yet. Both are coming though.

Good suggestions for next time!  Glad to hear that others are enjoying them as much as I am.  Like I said, I didn't know quite what to expect, but was certainly surprised in a good way. 

Thanks all for the kind, encouraging words.