• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

JR Alternatives

iedgar10

Hello everyone!

I recently started smoking cigars I REALLY REALLY enjoyed smoking my cigars and would like to keep going and try others. :)
My first box is pretty good but it has a pretty hefty price that I really can't afford all the time. Also, sometimes people ask for cigars and I just can't say "no" but I also don't want to give them some of my hard earned sticks. Just to give you an idea, I bought 28 cigars and in 3 days I have smoked 4 and only have 14 left.
I watched some of the youtube videos made by JR and they speak wonders about the JR Alternatives. Yes, I know they are supposed to say great things about their own brand but they make it seem so great! Does anybody have anything to say about them?

In addition, if I get terrible responses to the JRs I was contemplating on getting some Consuegras because of their low cost and good reviews I've read. Anybody that has not tried the JRs but has tried the Consuegras have any recommendations for something mild-medium strength, any ring size, any length?

Edit: Thank you in advance!

The consuegras are a decent smoke. I like them well enough to finish the stick, of the ones I have smoked. Some bundles I've bought seemed to be a mix of various blends; some with maybe 10 delicious of some blend, and the remainders just ok. Robusto Zavala, #9, but in the long run, Oliva Serie G probably represents a better value, if you buy them smart.

The JR Edition Limitada Alternative to Cubans are probably their best Alternative. Heavier Ring gauges seem to be more flavorf

Mayorga is pretty decent.
I would say that you go slow, and let your palate develop.

MadMonk is right with going slow to develop your tastes. I personally have found the JR Alternatives to be horrible while, on the other hand, the JR Ultimates have been quite good. Mayorga and Consuegra are certainly worth a look.

Firstly, this same thread is posted by every new smoker so a search(or even a scroll) will uncover all this stuff. But I'll re-iterate anyway.

As far as cheap cigars go, there are many good options.

CC:

JL Piedra Cremas
Quintero y Hermano Brevas
LFDC PC

NC:

Pepin makes a bunch for house cigars including CI Legends, Little Havana Overruns(Holt's), 5 Vegas Miami(CI), Famous 70th Garcia Family, Famous 7000.

Rocky Patel Factory Selects
Oliva Serie G and O and Connecticut

I've had both good and bad JR Alternatives. But for the price they aren't bad at all. Especially if you get them during a sale. Now the JR Ultimates are pretty good and I haven't had a bad one.

Try using the search function @ CigarPass for your cigar information needs!

Youtube may not be your best source... ;)

I've had good luck with the JR Alts. I've had a couple bundles of the JR Limited Montecristo C's, some of the Fuente Rothchilds,The Partagas Black series was fun, and I have some of the JR Special Coronas comming today. I've found that they all are constructed well, burn well, and are pretty satisfying for the money. If you're like me and on a budget, give them a try!

The consuegras are a decent smoke. I like them well enough to finish the stick, of the ones I have smoked. Some bundles I've bought seemed to be a mix of various blends; some with maybe 10 delicious of some blend, and the remainders just ok. Robusto Zavala, #9, but in the long run, Oliva Serie G probably represents a better value, if you buy them smart.

The JR Edition Limitada Alternative to Cubans are probably their best Alternative. Heavier Ring gauges seem to be more flavorf

Mayorga is pretty decent.
I would say that you go slow, and let your palate develop.

I did a little research on the prices and they seem to go like this
Mayorga > JR Cuban Alternatives > Consuegra
The price differences seem to be about a dollar between the Mayorgas and JRs, and half a dollar average between the Consuegra and the JRs.
Do you think that the quality hierarchy would be the same as the price hierarchy? Because If not then I figure I'll get some Consuegras and save a little for a better cigar down the road.

EDIT:
I have my heart set on these! If anyone thinks I'm making a mistake, feel free to call me out.

I found the Famous 2000 on "sale!"
Link

Here are the Consuegras I was looking at:
Link

Here is the other JR Alternatives I was looking at LINK

The Consuegras are Medium-Full while the JRs are Medium and the Famous are mild.
My first smokes were mild and I thought they were awesome. Do you guys think I'm ready to step up to one of the JRs recommended or even the Consuegras? Also, I've read that sometimes strength can be subjective and that some cigars considered to be "mild" are considered to be "medium" on other brands and so fourth is this the case with any of the above?

I never cared for the Mayorgas.

There's a whole slew of JR alts, so you're going to have to experiment, and probably smoke your fair share of distasteful, plugged or harsh dog rockets. Another aspect of the JR alts, is from bundle to bundle I've noticed inconsistency, which some might say is to be expected from a budget friendly bundle 'gar.

I haven't tried them all, and frankly, I'm not interested in trying them all, but I have found a couple I like and still have on hand.

IMHO, the Consuergras are better than either of the other two, but still, there are good ones and bad ones. I like the 84's All consuergras are allegedly seconds or rejects from mainstream brand facilites. There's a list somewhere on the interwebs that matches the numbers to what their supposed 1st is.

I've read throughout the years that Consuergras aren't what they used to be, or the blend has shifted. I've also read recently that the JR alt behike is pretty darn good for a bundle price.

Will

ETA: Famous Nicaraguan 3000s are even better than the above 3 alternatives, IMHO.

Gahhhh! So many cigars to smoke and so little money!!!
Since the consensus is that Famous K series is good (vortex says 2000, badwhale says 3000) would a sample like this be a good investment?

It's a little over the amount I wanted to spend but if the cigars are good I don't mind.

Also, does anyone know the difference in flavor between the Famous Honduran and the Famous Nicaraguan?

EDIT: The sampler is not over my intended budget! I had a brain fart and divided the price by 10 cigars! It's actually very reasonable.

Keep in mind, Edgar, that the fella that owns JR is the PT Barnum of the cigar world. He's funnier than hell. A former Marine and he actually writes his own copy. He Often tells the truth about the cigar industry which more often than not gets him in a jam, but he's a huckster. Don't believe anything he says.

Doc.

Since the consensus is that Famous K series is good (vortex says 2000, badwhale says 3000) would a sample like this be a good investment?

It's a little over the amount I wanted to spend but if the cigars are good I don't mind.

Also, does anyone know the difference in flavor between the Famous Honduran and the Famous Nicaraguan?

EDIT: The sampler is not over my intended budget! I had a brain fart and divided the price by 10 cigars! It's actually very reasonable.
One tastes of Honduran tobacco, the other has more of that Nicaraguan profile. Which do you like better? I'd go with that one since your buying a bundle.

*feeds some more

Keep in mind, Edgar, that the fella that owns JR is the PT Barnum of the cigar world. He's funnier than hell. A former Marine and he actually writes his own copy. He Often tells the truth about the cigar industry which more often than not gets him in a jam, but he's a huckster. Don't believe anything he says.

Doc.

That made me bust a laugh, so very true, for sure!

Famous Nic 7000 to be precise. Cheap on auction. ;) IMO, they get much better with age - say 6 months to a year.

Doc.

I didn't know that... Now what he writes makes so much more sense. hahaha

UPDATE:

I ended up getting a Famous K Sampler which includes 3 of each Famous 1K-7K and a 25 pack of Consuegra Superiore #17.
I put all of my Famous Ks in my humi and as many Consuegras as could fit (2).

I tried a Consuegra fresh out of the pack and it tasted horrible! It was really bitter and had a strong cigarette flavor. I'm going to let the others settle in the humi before I try any more Consuegras.

July13uploads070.jpg

July13uploads067.jpg