• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just need to vent...

Tenpin

OK Guys (and gals), this is where my friends are, and I just need a sympathetic ear right now...

On Friday I was informed that my position at work was being eliminated.
I've been with this company nearly 16 years, in the same group for about 12 of them, and in my current position (middle-management) for the last 3 years.
My business unit has been extremely successful and, I'd like to think, I've been a large portion of their success.
Now I'm being told we are reorginizing the group and my position is no longer in the plans.
I know I am not alone. Lots of people have gone through the exact same thing I am going through. In 16 years I have made losts of contacts, but I really don't know where to go or what to do.
My mind has been filled with conflicting thoughts all weekend... Do I find another position within the group, or even the company? Or do I take a (pretty lucrative) severance package and look elsewhere.
I hate the idea that I would have to cash in my stock options. I hate the idea that I will be looking for health insurance. I hate the idea that I will have to retool and start over.
I will have career counseling, so I guess I'll have help and suggestions in my "retooling".

I'm not looking for any pity (besides, newbies are not pitied by the FOGs anyway!). Not sure what I am looking for... just needed to vent, so thanks!!!

Jim

Tenpin - sorry to hear about your adversity.

Without asking a million personal questions, my $00.02 would be to very seriously consider taking the "generous" severance package, and finding another employer.

The reason I say this is that my wife and I used to work for the same company here where we live. Moving up, things going well, etc. and just a great place to work. We bought a new house close to the plant; we were sure we'd retire there in 20+ years, etc. Then, we watched as over a five year period, as their margins eroded with the yin / yang of the global semiconductor market, it turned into hell on earth.

I quit on my own and went to work for my current employer. My wife was "laid off" in a re-org and got jack for severance. It was really tough on her as she really takes pride in her work. The company is stil around, and we know folks that still work there. But - I can say that we're happier now than ever, at companies that really appreciate our skills. After that, I could never trust my current employer again. My $00.02....

The very best of luck to you - B.B.S.

After the way your current employer treated you after 16 hard workin' years, do ya still want to work for them? Can you ever trust them again ?

If ya don't take the severance package and stay with the company in another position, what if they decide in another year to "re-structure" again in another year, will ya get the same severance package ?

This is just my 2¢, and is no way a professional opinion.

Good Luck.........

Being a college kid, I have no idea what to tell you. I'll shot up a prayer for you though.

KB

Sorry to hear about your predicament. I'm not on your end, but being military and having many friends who have retired from the military I know how scary the thought of starting from scratch can be. All I can say is look at this as an opportunity to find something you may have always wanted to try, but didn't because you already had a secure position. Try to turn a loss into a gain by searching out the opportunities you would like to have had 16 yrs ago.

And if that doesn't work, watch Office Space and take your cues from that.

<grin>
-K-

From what you say, your position may no longer be in the plans, but you job may be very much in the plans.

I don't know anything about who you work for or what you do, but I do know that companies reorganize for many reasons and that they don't always want to get rid of the people who work in the positions that are being eliminated.

I suggest you get an idea of what sort of new career your company can offer you before you make any decisions. If it's not the sort of new career you want, ask for something different or take the severance package.

I have lost a couple nice jobs due to downsizing in the companies. I was never offered a severance package, but I understand that looking for new work after having grown comfortable over many years is stressful. I suggest that more than anything--so long as finances permit--take time to relax and clear your mind. Cigars are great for that--they're the greatest gift of time God has given man. I think the worse thing you can do is get wound up too tightly and make decisions through cloudy thinking and foggy vision.

Best of luck to you, Tenpin.

üZ.

überZigarre said:
I have lost a couple nice jobs due to downsizing in the companies. I was never offered a severance package, but I understand that looking for new work after having grown comfortable over many years is stressful. I suggest that more than anything--so long as finances permit--take time to relax and clear your mind. Cigars are great for that--they're the greatest gift of time God has given man. I think the worse thing you can do is get wound up too tightly and make decisions through cloudy thinking and foggy vision.

Best of luck to you, Tenpin.

üZ.
[snapback]183368[/snapback]​

Dude...I have to agree with my chatt-town homeboy here...I know that when I'm at my worst, the best thing I can do is grab some Knob Creek bourbon, a Padron 26 #9 and sit and relax and clear my head. You know, if you have so many contacts, I bet you could make some internal calls and make a pre-emptive strike to get a good position. It has been my experience that any job you want, you can get. you just have to want it bad enough.

Losing a position always is stressful. I believe with a little networking you should be able to find a "job". Sorry to hear of you losing a job, but look at it as an open door to new goals and dreams. You haven't lost a position, you have gained the freedom to go where you wish to be, really. Take care and thanks for the smokes...

Russell

MonkeyK has some good points. If the position they offer is equal to what you had then it really is up to you to decide if you want to take on the effort to learn the new position.

I can honestly say sorry for the situation. I was there myself about 8 years ago but I only had 2 years of service the company. The group I worked in was great and I was respected and liked for what I could do. Heck, they were even going to send me back to school so I could move up. My position was not eliminated due to re-orgainizing though, oil fell $5 a barrel the week before, plus I was black listed for having a opinion and pointing out a problem with the current "methods" that the supervisor endorsed. To shorten the story, here I am 8 years later working in the same field for a company that makes the equipment for the company that layed me off, the supervisor eventually got what was coming to him and they want to hire me back. I will have to agree with Bk?

BkCloud114 said:
After the way your current employer treated you after 16 hard workin' years, do ya still want to work for them? Can you ever trust them again ?
[snapback]183355[/snapback]​

Like I told my wife, would I work for them again? Probably but something better happen to the company I currently work at, the money would have to be good and in no terms would I TRUST THEM. I am currently happier not having to put up with the political BS and the "Buddy/Group" mentality.

KayakinBoy said:
Being a college kid, I have no idea what to tell you. I'll shot up a prayer for you though.

KB
[snapback]183357[/snapback]​

Here's another one for you.

Wow, I've actually been in your shoes a few times. Twice by choice and twice by downsizing.

I voluntarily left Lockheed in 1994 after 8 years and relocated to Idaho. I was fed up with the Bay Area and all of the downsizing that was going on around me. I was safe in my position, but withall of the other departures, I was doing the job of three. I gave 4 weeks notice, then moved to Idaho without any job prospects. 3 months later, I landed a position as a VP for a movie theater company.

That job lasted til 1999, when the company went bankrupt and I was laid off. 3 months later, I landed the best poisiton of my career, a Regional Manager for an IT Management company. I was with them until being downsized in 2003 because the IT bubble burst. I spent the next year and a half trying to find another decent gig and went through some crap (3 months selling insurance, 3 months unemployed, 6 months selling domain names to Fortune 100s, and 6 months as a branch manager for a staffing company) before finally finding my current position as a Program Manager supporting contracts at HP.

What have I learned through all of this? Three things that really help:

1. There's something else out there, and it can be good. At times, things may look dreary as hell, but the bad times will end;

2. If you leave your current position, treat your period of unemployment as a full-time job. Your new job is to find a job, and you need to work hard at it. Do not take time off to "relax your mind" before getting started on this. (You'll have enough down time to relax while you work on finding the next great thing); and

3. Stay positive and keep reminding yourself that "this too shall end."

Good luck brother. Keep us posted.

~ Steve

MonkeyK said:
From what you say, your position may no longer be in the plans, but you job may be very much in the plans.

I don't know anything about who you work for or what you do, but I do know that companies reorganize for many reasons and that they don't always want to get rid of the people who work in the positions that are being eliminated.

I suggest you get an idea of what sort of new career your company can offer you before you make any decisions. If it's not the sort of new career you want, ask for something different or take the severance package.
[snapback]183366[/snapback]​

Sounds like a plan

First I wanted to thank everyone for their support, prayers and advice.
As expected, I have moved out of the anger and denial phases and have accepted the cards that have been dealt.
As a business manager, I understand the needs of the business. Not that I necessarily agree, but it is what it is.

Although I haven't decided what to do, part of the package is to work with a career consultant. I will take full advantage of these services to decide my place in life. My options are wide and varied. One thing for certain, I want to do this for me and find something I will really enjoy.

I have endured quite a bit of stress in my current position the last couple of years, so this is definately a blessing in disguise! Of course, our shared habit is a great stress reliever (and the Knob Creek sure doesn't hurt either!).

Again, thanks to all of you for being here... it's nice to have such a great support group!

Jim

Sorry man, Not to much that has not been covered but i like what Treamayne had to say. Turn it around and make it a positive deal.Visualize the future and make it happen.