• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kansas Day!

gandolf565

CP Wizard. Watch as I make this cigar disappear!
Peekay Wins!

On this day in 1861 Kansas became the 34th state.

Answer the questions below as close as you can and I will send you out a nice selection of cigars (and maybe a few other items as well).

Rules:

-Post to this thread, no PM's
-Only members in good standing may participate (I am the sole judge on that fact)
-I am the sole judge on correct answers.
-Contest ends at 11:59:59 PM Central Time, 1-29-2006. The person with the most correct answers gets the prize.

Have fun!

1: Only one county in Kansas is named for a woman. Who was she? What was her claim to fame?

2: This famous botanist lived in several towns in Kansas, he graduated from Minneapolis High School, and operated a laundry there. Who was he?

3: Pizza Hut had it's beginnings in Wichita, where is the original Pizza Hut located now? (Hint: it has been moved from it's original location)

4: On a related note. Another very popular fast food chain has it's roots in Wichita, but no longer is represented there. What chain is it?

5: At one time Hutchinson had two structures that were the largest in the world. (both have been surpassed) They are not related. Name them.

6: The Kansas motto is "ad astra per aspera". What does it mean?

7: My favorite band is Kansas. Who is the man on the cover of thier first album (that was before CD's kids)? Who is the artist? And where is the original?

8: The University of Kansas has a rich sports history. This man is credited with inventing and then becoming the first coach of what game?

9: Kansas has been home to several television stars, Don Johnson (Miami Vice)and Kirstie Allie (Cheers, etc) grew up in Wichita. A woman from Cherryvale made it to the big time, who was she? What show was she most famous for?

10: Recently a man who was arguably the United States fierciest enemy was in Lindsburgh KS, who was he? Why was he there?

1: Barton County, Clara Barton, civil war nurse
2: George Washington Carver
3: Dallas Texas
4: White Castle
5: Grain Elevator, Hutchinson Airfield
6: I am the palm tree
7: Ed Lee was the designer, John Steuart Curry was the painter. "The Tragic Prelude John Brown" in the state capitol building in Topeka
8: Dr. James A. Naismith, Basketball
9: Vivian Vance as Ethel Mertz in I love lucy
10: Mikhail Gorbachev promoting chess for peace

1. Barton County for Clara Howe Barton, Civil War nurse and founder of the American Red Cross.
2. George Washington Carver
3. It was moved to Wichita State University campus in 1984 from Kellogg and Bluff street location.
4. White Castle
5. An underground city and a grain elevator
6. 'To the stars through difficulties’
7. John Brown, the artist is John Steuart Curry and the original piece of art is in the rotunda of the state capitol at Topeka
8. Dr. James Naismith
9. Vivian Vance played Ethel on “I Love Lucy”
10. Mikhail Gorbachev for chess for peace

Thanks for the contest I am now enlightned.

K, i just spent an hour and half researching this. I need to find something to do.

Thanks for the contest g, helped me nurse my hangover a bit.

1. Barton County, Clara Hawlowe Barton, Civil War Nurse
3. Wichita State University
4. White Castle
5. Grain Elevator, Salt Deposit
6. To the Stars Through Difficulties
7. John Brown, John Steuart Curry, The Capitol rotunda in Topeka
8. Dr. James Naismith, Basketball
9. Vivian Vance (played Ethel Mertz), I Love Lucy
10. Mikhail Gorbachev was in Lindsborg, KS promoting chess for peace, (I don't think Lindsburgh exists in Kansas)

D'oh, you posted while I was researching. So is the underground city or salt deposit correct?

I left B-ball off my answer for Naismith by accident, so you probably have trumped me.

yeah, i think im trumped regardless cuz i updated my answers while you posted yours, so my edit time is after your post time.

Twas fun researching it all though, tis but a mad game of cut and paste after those first answers appear! :laugh:

Wow, you guys are good!

I figured some of those questions would be a but obscure. Guess not :)

No winner yet. I'm looking for a different answer on question 5 (the elevator is correct).

Was there really an underground city here? News to me! Where did you find that info?

4. White Castle
5. Grain Elevator, Cosmosphere6. To the Stars Through Difficulties
10. Mikhail Gorbachev was in Lindsborg, KS promoting chess for peace, (I don't think Lindsburgh exists in Kansas)

It was with the airfield, this is where the U.S. officials can go if the world is going to go boom. My other guess for five would be the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center, which has the 2nd largest space collection outside of the Smithsonian.

They have the world's largest collection of space suits, but that's not a structure.

Cool contest Gandolf. :thumbs:

Wow this thought me a lot 'bout Kansas , as well leaving me feel a bit stupid :p

Cheers Fellas!

Carry on

my wayward son.

AVB said:
Carry on

my wayward son.
[snapback]282326[/snapback]​
Oh, I do :)

It's my "Reason To Be"

CigarSarge said:
All I'm gonna say is the group "Kansas" is a kick ass rock and roll band.

I'll second that!

I think we've passed the point of no return with this now.

My revised answer:

4. White Castle
5. Grain Elevator, Salt Mine
6. To the Stars Through Difficulties

AVB said:
I think we've passed the point of no return with this now.
[snapback]282331[/snapback]​
Nope, it's "Got to Rock On"
:sign: