• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kiddo #3 On the Way... Which Cigar to Celebrate?

Which Torpedo should I get to celebrate the arrival of the latest kiddo?

• Total voters

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Well, things have been crazy.  I departed homestation on 24 Jun for my current 120 day deployment.  As I made my connection in ATL, the Mrs called and announced that baby #3 was officially upgraded from a notional planning factor to a bonefide bun-in-the oven.  Happy times for our family to be sure; we're due on 26 Feb 14.

So my oldest two daughters each have a box of cigars dedicated to each for birthday/Father's day smoking only.  My oldest has a box of Padron 1926 Serie Maduro #2s and my youngest has a box of Ashton VSG Belicoso #1s.  I'm thinking something Cuban for baby #3, and I've narrowed it down to these three excellent Cuban Torpedos.  That keeps with the belicoso/torpedo theme as well. 

All three have knocked my socks off at some point in my eight years of smoking and all three have disappointed my greatly when the construction has been off.  Dare say I like the Monte's flavor profile the most--by a slim margin--but I know they are more widely produced and quality varies the most with them.  Despite the lower production numbers the VR's also seem very temperamental, but the Unicos is the best cigar I've smoked this year by far.  I have had one off-tasting H. Upmann before, but when it's on, it's really on!

So how's the construction on these guys lately? Is there a consensus? I want to hear your thoughts on this.

First and foremost Congrats to you and your family!

Second before I vote have you smoked a Bolivar Belicoso Fino? 

Congrats man !

My vote goes to H Up mag 46. But The tall guys has a great q here. Those are awesome.

louich said:
Congrats man !

My vote goes to H Up mag 46. But The tall guys has a great q here. Those are awesome.

That's not in his poll either...LOL Pay attention!

Congrats to you and your wife Barry.  My vote would be for the Unicos.  Best piramide being made right now IMHO.

Upmann all the way, IMHO the best pyramid made in the last 2-3 years. 

Thanks, fellas.  The Boli BF and the Mag 46 are both excellent to be sure.  The Boli BF isn't in consideration because I have a handful already along with a box of Royal Coronas-- I'm looking for some diversification.  The Mag 46 is great, but I like the idea of a pyramid/piramide (I can never settle on a spelling...)/torpedo/belicoso. My three candidates have all yielded transendent smoking experiences in the past.  It seems like these cigars should be a more important part of my humi than they are now.

Edit for spelling...

I'm a Monty fan myself. I have a box with the date code from my first Grandson's month and year

Congrats Barry! Had to go with the Monte's. I've really been impressed with 2011/2012 production. Can't speak for 13 yet.

Right on Barry! I voted for the H. Upmann as I prefer that brand in the torpedo size just slightly over the other two.

Thanks for the congratulations, gentlemen.  My lovely wife deserves all of the praise.  She's home with our two oldest daughters, two months into a deployment and cripplingly exhausted from the life-sucking helion-child she has growing in her now.  She's a trooper!  I can't wait to get home to give her a kiss-- or a break for a nap.  

Pretty evenly matched on the poll:  5 to 6 to 3 (louich, I'm counting yours as a VR vote).  I expected it to be close.  No decision yet, but I have a few more months to deliberate.  

I did feel the need to conduct some research, though.  I had an opportunity to go off-base the other day, so I paid a visit to La Casa Del Habano.  I picked up a Punch Punch as I've never tried one before, but I also opted to smoke a Monte #2 in the store.  The unlit cigar had that same chocolate cake smell that I know and love in the Monte #2.  Box date was Feb 12, so I was happy to be getting a young sample.  The flavor of the cigar was predominantly coffee bean, but it was obviously young.  I also smoked it relatively fast, but it performed like a champ.  Certainly potential here with fantastic construction and the promise of excellent flavors with some age, so I picked up another stick to try sometime later before I buy a full box.   

The good news is that I have much more confidence that I won't get a box full of plugged dog rockets when I purchase.  This sample, along with proponents' comments on the construction of each sticks' recent production eases my concerns somewhat.  And really, it's hard to lose among the Monte #2, Upmann #2 or the VR Unicos-- when the construction is good, they're all excellent.   

Please keep your votes coming.  If a clearer majority leaps ahead, I'll certainly take the input!

Edited for spelling... someday I'll learn to proofread before I post...

Congrats on number 3!

Voted for the Vegas but love the other 2 choices as well...

Confirmed via ultrasound that Baby Z is a boy!  The whole family dynamic is really going to change. 

The poll is still practically a dead heat, so please vote if you are so inclined.

Bump to update...

After some moderate combustible research among the three candidates and after finding a tremendous deal while overseas, I opted for the Vegas Robaina Unicos.  The Upmanns and Montes were smoking well, but not quite as consistently to my taste as the VRs.  The full new box (coded UPE Jul 12) is resting in my Newair until Baby Schaefer's arrival, on or about 26 Feb 14.

The inputs/discussion were all greatly appreciated and really assuaged my fears of picking up a box of plugged smokes.  Thanks to all who participated in the poll.  Just like with my daughters, baby pics and a contest for my B/SOTLs will happen after the arrival!