• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Kiltedcraftsman, Here's your wing info.

So I got a PM from Kiltedcraftsman asking about wing recipes. Figured I'd just post it up for everyone to read, these are great for the Super Bowl parties, etc.

First of all, it comes down to personal preference of whether you like them breaded or not. I like to make my wings breaded. They just come out better that way when fried, and they seem to hold the sauce a lot better as well.

You don't have to have a big propane fryer either, you can just pour a decent amount of oil into a big soup pan and cook them in there.

As for the sauce, I really like to use the Hooters Sauce. You can buy it in most stores, and I think the stuff is pretty damn good. If you want to doctor it up, feel free. Add some more hot sauce or something to it. If you don't like the hooters sauce, just get creative. Any sauce in the bottle that tastes good, will more than likely make a good wing sauce as well. But the thicker the sauce the better. If you want to make some Spicy BBQ wings, just pour some bbq sauce into a sauce pan and add some jalapenos or habeneros to it and let it simmer for a while. then shake your wings up in that.

Most grocery stores have all kinds of choices for breading. Just pick one out and go with it. I like to dip the wings in some beaten egg and then drop them into a big zip lock bag with the breading. Just shake them up and you should get a nice coating of breading on each wing. YOu can bread all your wings ahead of time, but don't cook too many at once. Idea being that the wings are at their very best right when they are done. You let them sit and get cold, they get soggy, etc.

the cooking process is pretty simple. get your oil nice and hot, and drop the wings in for 10 minutes or so, or until they start to turn a nice brown color. If you're unsure if they're done, just leave em in there for a while.

then just take them out and put them in a nice big bowl with a secure lid. Add the sauce and shake them up so they all get a nice even coating. Eat immediately.

Sorry I don't really have exact numbers for you guys on this, but when I cook these, I don't follow any recipes...I just do it. But the most important thing in my mind is the timing. Have them ready to go when everyone is hungry so they don't sit out and get soggy.

E

I love to cook for a packed house, one year I got rave reviews on the wings when I switched it up and did a marinade then used the egg battering marinating the wings gave the meat great flavor so you weren't tasting just the batter and sauce. The wings went into a big ziplock bag with the following:
Garlic powder, large onion, finely minced, a couple of tablespoons soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, olive oil tablespoons honey teaspoons hot sauce, tabasco sauce.
1/2 cup dark rum for a few hours, the marinade made for a pretty decent binder for the flouring. I double dipped them to make sure the breading stuck. I also I don't do just straight eggs I do an egg wash of two - four eggs to 1- 2 cups of milk and I season that with pepper and salt. I also use some seasonings in the flour, I Like Cajun but have been known to use brown sugar and rosemary. I too love the Hooters sauce, but find the need to change it a little. HS is right it is alot about personal preferences. Some like sweet and hot- where others like paint thinner hot!
Just wanted to share they cheekie-isms of chicken wings. Hope it gave some food for thought.

Damn I love wings. Hungry again even though it's right after dinner.

Here you go, this isn't my personal recipe, but I've made this one before and it is very good!

Make a double batch of this sauce, and if you like it hot, add more then one Habenero to the mix!

• 1 tablespoon Ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon Dried thyme
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
• 3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
• 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
• 1 tablespoon Sugar
• 1/4 cup Olive oil
• 1/4 cup Soy sauce
• 3/4 cup White Vinegar
• 1/2 cup Orange juice
• 1 Lime juice
• 1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
• 3 Green onions -- finely chopped
• 1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
• 4 to 6 chicken breasts
"JERK: This method of cooking pork and chicken dates back to the Carib-Arawak Indians who inhabited Jamaica. After capturing an animal and thoroughly cleaning and gutting it, the Indians placed it in a deep pit lined with stones and covered with green wood, which, when burned, would smoke heavily and add to the flavor. But first, the carcass was "jerked" with a sharp object to make holes, which were stuffed with a variety of spices. The holes also allowed heat to escape without loss of moisture.
The results were superb. The meat was not only wonderfully spiced, but moist and tender." (Note: Sugar Reef is a restaurant in Manhattan)

Seed and finely chop Scotch Bonnet pepper. Trim chicken of fat. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil , say sauce, vinegar, orange juice , and lime juice.
Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
Preheat an outdoor grill.
Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Bring the leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.
Note: Scotch Bonnet peppers, also known as "Habaneros" are the hottest of the capsicum peppers, they're truly incendiary. Substitute Serranos of Thai Bird Chiles if you can't find them.

You can never have enough of this sauce. If you want, I suggest making a double batch of the marinade. Save ½ of it just for using afterwards for extra dipping sauce.

If you want to just make normal buffalo sized wings, fry them up or however you cook them, then just shake them up in a large covered bowl with some of the sauce and serve

The real recipe for buffalo wings from Buffalo..

Must use Frank's Red Hot hot sauce, melted butter, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste.

I usually deep fry the wings well done, drain and throw in a tupperware with a cover. Add the hot sauce, butter (the more butter the milder they are) and seasonings (the more cayenne, the hotter they are). Then shake the sh*t out of it in the tupperware. Great Buffalo Wings. :thumbs:

Frank's Red Hot is all I use! I add a little Old Bay and butter too.

Lee said:
[snapback]280622[/snapback]​

I never heard of, let alone tried Old Bay. Did a dogpile search. I'll have to try it. Does it add a different, noticable flavor to the wings?

Shibumi said:
Lee said:

I never heard of, let alone tried Old Bay. Did a dogpile search. I'll have to try it. Does it add a different, noticable flavor to the wings?
[snapback]280629[/snapback]​

Franks is just a really good all around hot sauce.

My local stores do not carry Franks. Is this a regional thing? We are alwyas looking to try new sauces but most of the ones we have had are just nasty.

Anyway... here is how we do our wings and everyone who has had them loved them!!!

Items Needed
Wings (duh)
All-Purpose Flour
Texas Pete Wing Sauce
1 Gallon Ziploc bag
Canola Oil
Salt

Take the wings and soak them in salt water for about 2-3 hours.

About 20 minutes before your ready to cook them, heat up the Canola Oil to 350. Yes, I specified Canola Oil because they come out so much better. Peanut Oil would be even better but who wants to pay the price for it.

Get a 1 Gallon Ziploc bag and place some All-Purpose Flour in it. Take the wings out of the salt water and blot them dry, but not too dry. You want them to be a little moist to collect the flour.

Place the wings in the flour and shake them until they are fully covered.

Drop them in the oil for roughly 20 minutes. You want them to be a dark golden brown color. They should start floating after about 10 minutes.

Next we take some Texas Pete Wing Sauce and pour it into a large round bowl. The bowl we use is huge. It has a locking top to it as well which helps.

Now drop your wings into the bowl with the sauce and then place the lid on it. Roll them all around and shake them about. You will get the hang of how much tossing they will need.

Once that is done... enjoy with your favorite Bleu Cheese or Ranch!! :)

I've found Frank's just about everywhere. Have you looked in a couple of stores?

AVB said:
I've found Frank's just about everywhere. Have you looked in a couple of stores?
[snapback]280672[/snapback]​

Yes.. in 3 grocery chains that we have here but nothing.

Shibumi said:
Lee said:

[snapback]280629[/snapback]​

Good call on the Old Bay, never thought of that..I bought some years ago after a trip to Maryland and have been hooked on crabs and OB ever since. :thumbs:

Frank's isn't in every grocery store, but keep looking.

I found the economy size gallon jug of Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce at Costco.

All this talk about wings today forced me to do up a batch of "naked" wings to take to work.

Old Bay is just an all around great blend of spices to me. Since I grew up spending time around the Chesapeake Bay and the many rivers that dump into it, I've loved this stuff since I can remember. If you've ever had steamed blue crabs, you know what I'm talking about. It's good on any meat imho...

Shiba, let me know if you can't get some Frank's, I'll hook you up!

Lee said:
Frank's isn't in every grocery store, but keep looking.

Shiba, let me know if you can't get some Frank's, I'll hook you up!
[snapback]280706[/snapback]​

We have it here too if anyone needs it.

Thanks Lee... I will try a few of the independents here as well. :)

The wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo really kicks a$$. I like the hickory wings, and ever since going there, make my wings with Diana (for pork) sauce, and add Bulls Eye BBQ for the hickory. Comes out real nice :thumbs:

Sunward said:
The wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo really kicks a$$. I like the hickory wings, and ever since going there, make my wings with Diana (for pork) sauce, and add Bulls Eye BBQ for the hickory. Comes out real nice :thumbs:
[snapback]280780[/snapback]​

Isn't this where buffalo wings first started? Kingpin sent me a couple of bottles of sauce from there for Secret Santa 2004. It was goooood stuff!

stevehawk said:
Sunward said:
The wings at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo really kicks a$$. I like the hickory wings, and ever since going there, make my wings with Diana (for pork) sauce, and add Bulls Eye BBQ for the hickory. Comes out real nice  :thumbs:
[snapback]280780[/snapback]​

Isn't this where buffalo wings first started? Kingpin sent me a couple of bottles of sauce from there for Secret Santa 2004. It was goooood stuff!
[snapback]280781[/snapback]​

Anchor uses Frank's hot sauce.

Shiba, the label just say's "Red Hot". Frank's name is in small letters.

Franks.1.jpg

Shibumi said:
The real recipe for buffalo wings from Buffalo..

Must use Frank's Red Hot hot sauce, melted butter, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste.

I usually deep fry the wings well done, drain and throw in a tupperware with a cover. Add the hot sauce, butter (the more butter the milder they are) and seasonings (the more cayenne, the hotter they are). Then shake the sh*t out of it in the tupperware. Great Buffalo Wings. :thumbs:
[snapback]280612[/snapback]​

Ditto. I usually leave out the cayenne so the wife will eat them. Good stuff.

Also, do yourself a favor and dont bread the wings!