• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

L0-Jack and car alarms

Rob_k

If it ain't Scottish...it's crap!
just curious, does anyone have experience with lo-jack and how much it costs? i am thinking about getting it installed in my new truck, also looking for alarm recomendations. thanks in advance
Rob

We have lojack installed on our pathfinder when we got it 7 years ago, I don't remember how much it was but it was through the dealer. Luckily we never had to use it, and hope we never do.

As for alarms, what are you looking for, all the bells and whistles or just something that screams if the door is opened when it's not supposed to?

I think lojack sells for around 599 installed. I don't recommend, but I'm sure others have their opinion. Sometimes you just don't want your car back! Alarms are hit and miss as far as brands. It's much more important to find a great installer than a great alarm brand. IMHO. I hope this helps.

Good friend of mine installs these for a living. He always says to me dont waste your time.

The Lojack itself cost the dealers $150.00 and he gets $65.00 to install them. He does around 10 a day. He always says to me he hopes atleast 7 out of the ten actually work.

Take a look at what Viper has to offer in both areas. There are some things that you can get to go along with thier alarm system that will absolutley blow away any Lojack system.

I use Viper alarms on my vehicles and as soon as my kids start to drive I will be adding the extra features that will allow me to track every step of the car on my computer. You can even kill the ignition from your computer.

The system costs about the same as lojack too.

With Lojack the police tell you where the car is. With the Viper system you can tell the cops where the car is before you even call them.

Take a look at what Viper has to offer in both areas. There are some things that you can get to go along with thier alarm system that will absolutley blow away any Lojack system.

I use Viper alarms on my vehicles and as soon as my kids start to drive I will be adding the extra features that will allow me to track every step of the car on my computer. You can even kill the ignition from your computer.

The system costs about the same as lojack too.

With Lojack the police tell you where the car is. With the Viper system you can tell the cops where the car is before you even call them.
i have been reading about the gps feature on the vipers, this seems the way to go, especially with the ignition kill. toyota has a great factory alarm, but it is close to $700, and does have glass break sensors, but the gps feature is the shiz on the vipers. thanks for the advise Atuck and all who replied.

Well what you’re going to want is a Clifford product. They make both the viper and the matrix, plus they have a new G5. I have no experience with the G5 but I do know the matrix is top of the line. Get a prox sensor or two and you’ll be fine. The object of today’s after market alarms inset to warn the owner as much as it is to deter people. I have 4 sirens in mine 2 directly under my dash next to the alarm box. Why? Because it’s so loud your ears would probably bleed before you can finish cutting all the wires. And typically if you call your insurance they’ll lower your rates a little if you have one. The matrix has your gps, you can call in and see were it is. If you loan it to someone you can even see what speeds they were going. It also pages you or calls your cell if it goes off. You can typically find the units cheap. Its just having them installed that’s pricey.

Well what you’re going to want is a Clifford product. They make both the viper and the matrix, plus they have a new G5. I have no experience with the G5 but I do know the matrix is top of the line. Get a prox sensor or two and you’ll be fine. The object of today’s after market alarms inset to warn the owner as much as it is to deter people. I have 4 sirens in mine 2 directly under my dash next to the alarm box. Why? Because it’s so loud your ears would probably bleed before you can finish cutting all the wires. And typically if you call your insurance they’ll lower your rates a little if you have one. The matrix has your gps, you can call in and see were it is. If you loan it to someone you can even see what speeds they were going. It also pages you or calls your cell if it goes off. You can typically find the units cheap. Its just having them installed that’s pricey.

Clifford makes Viper now? I think Directed makes both Clifford AND Viper.

Clifford makes Viper now? I think Directed makes both Clifford AND Viper.

Well its hard to tell. But originally Clifford brought out the viper alarm system. From what I understand it gained a lot of popularity so they left it as its own name brand but it still comes from the same company as the matrix. As for directed I think Clifford is a subsidiary company but still produces there own product. It’s been awhile since I’ve actually had to sell the units.