• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Lancero review

As it turns out, the LFD Lanceros are a lot more limited than I thought -- and Outlaw Cigar Co does not have them (they confused the Lanceros with the Churchill Especiales). They are not available to cigar retailers who host Litto's tasting events, this was a special deal.

LouieD said:
Are we confusing the DL Churchill Especiales Oscuro Natural with the Lancero? The Especiales is about 7x48 with the same pigtail.
[snapback]249736[/snapback]​
I've just measured mine and it's a 48 ring, but it's not quite 7"...unless you measure the whole stick-pigtail and all.

By my masurements, it's about 6 5/8x48. Still, no matter what the shape...it's a magnificent cigar. I'm thinking about holding onto this to see how well it's going to age. It's very oily, should taste phenominal in the coming years. It's too bad that I don't have anything to benchmark this cigar with.

indyrob said:
LouieD said:
Are we confusing the DL Churchill Especiales Oscuro Natural with the Lancero?  The Especiales is about 7x48 with the same pigtail.
[snapback]249736[/snapback]​
I've just measured mine and it's a 48 ring, but it's not quite 7"...unless you measure the whole stick-pigtail and all.

By my masurements, it's about 6 5/8x48. Still, no matter what the shape...it's a magnificent cigar. I'm thinking about holding onto this to see how well it's going to age. It's very oily, should taste phenominal in the coming years. It's too bad that I don't have anything to benchmark this cigar with.
[snapback]250739[/snapback]​

That's the Churchill Especiales Oscuro Natural, not the LFD Lancero in this review. This is a box of the smokes you're describing:

54.jpg

...and this is a box of the LFD Lanceros:

lfd_dbl_ligero_lancero_box.jpg

moki said:
As it turns out, the LFD Lanceros are a lot more limited than I thought -- and Outlaw Cigar Co does not have them (they confused the Lanceros with the Churchill Especiales). They are not available to cigar retailers who host Litto's tasting events, this was a special deal.
[snapback]250731[/snapback]​

Thank you for clearing it up, Andrew.
I wasn't sure the truth on that one.

Ok..This is weird then. The LFD I have looks like the wrapper of the Lancero. I know there is no way it can be it since I got it at Outlaw when Litto was there in the Summer 2005. Is this normal wrapper look for a LDF Especiales?

Well I am finally getting to my review. The LFD Lancero was nothing short of special. Let me say the construction was great, loved the pigtail cap also. I was wondering how the draw and burn would be, but it didnt take me long to find out that they both were perfect. It started out very strong and spicy, but then mellowed out to a medium bodied smoke, towards the last third it kinda tasted like a mix of chocolate & mushroom / earthy tasting to me which was perfectly fine.

This cigar seemed mild compaired to my first one which was a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003, an absolute show stopper. This thing knocked me on my ass, but in a very good way, the construction....lets just say it was a tank, and the beautiful dark wrapper and taste of it was to die for. It did end up mellowing out some, but this was pretty much an ohhh wow cigar the full way through. It will become one of the regulars in the lineup for sure, it must just be something about the Nic. Puro's ;)

I just recieved a fiver last week and I just smoked one tonight. No pigtail on mine. Absolutely killer cigar. Smoked it a 9 tomight and I am still up. Beautiful cigar and great construction especially for a lancero. Huge clouds of smoke and burned evenly. Very spicy to the nose for the first 1/5 then mellowed and I use that word sparingly to a nice medium bodied but very tasty smoke. HInts of bitter sweet chocolate with a slight sweetness to it. Kind of like a mocha with nutmeg. Somewhat earthy but not in a cuban way. Very complex as the cigar changed at least three times. Unbelievable and excellent smoke. I'm definitely going to try and score a box in the near future. They're nearly impossible to find. I rate these right up here with opus and anejos for fullbodied NCs.

yoshi94564 said:
I rate these right up here with opus and anejos for fullbodied NCs.
[snapback]266288[/snapback]​

For me that is a quote that makes me want to try this stick.

Great review Moki. I keep a list of the reviews posted to help decide which sticks to try. What is the typical price of the DL Lancero?

Thanks to mrjinglesusa (Jim), I got to smoke to first of five of these last night. I won't bore you all with a long review on a cigar that has been thoroughly documented, but I will say that it surprised me.

The aesthetics were incredibly pleasing, the construction superb, quite an amazing cigar. The taste, however, was not what I was expecting. I would not rate this cigar as full-bodied by any stretch of the imagination. The one that I smoked was a nice medium bodied cigar. It was also not the flavor-bomb that I expected, but a more toned-down version of the Oscuro Natural wrapped Ligero series and the Limitado II. I will say that it was much more refined than the others...a very elegant smoke.

I look forward to smoking the rest, but with an adjusted expectation of what I will be experiencing.

Moki, thank you for starting this thread. I love being inspired to find new and different cigars. :D

moki said:
[snapback]250731[/snapback]​

We have them now!(BUT SOLD OUT QUICK!)
Jack said we are #5 account holder for the lanceros.
He said that they only have 2 rollers who can produce this cigar.
Very rare cigar.

outlawsp said:
Very rare cigar.
[snapback]287207[/snapback]​

Translation: they are sitting in outlawsp's personal humidor! :D

moki said:
outlawsp said:
Very rare cigar.
[snapback]287207[/snapback]​

Translation: they are sitting in outlawsp's personal humidor! :D
[snapback]287239[/snapback]​

lol

Nice review Andrew, man what a gorgeous cigar, the box picture almost made me CMJs.

top for Brickhouse

Looks like we had a similar experience in terms of it starting off very strong, then mellowing a bit.

Ah roasted chestnuts, that's probably what it was. Not good enough to get that specific on it.

I don't think I got far enough to get the molasses-sweet cedary profile you spoke of though. Maybe next time. Food in the belly is a good thing. :thumbs:

Thanks for the top, lots of good info on this 'gar I wasn't aware of. Is it still as rare as this thread says it is?

Thanks for the top, lots of good info on this 'gar I wasn't aware of. Is it still as rare as this thread says it is?

It's not that rare, it just isn't that well known. I'm aware of only two cigar shops that get these cigars by the box, and then it's only a few boxes a month. They are still fairly easily obtainable, though, and go for about $150-160 a box.

It's not a part of the regular line from LFD, they don't advertise it, it isn't on their web site, but it is available.

I'm seeing these more and more, just got a box for 161. Another b&m had it for 180, bit high imo for the box. But a dam tasty cigar all around.

LFD is quickly becoming one of my favorite, if not my favorite, brand on the NC market.