• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lagavulin 16yr

HKGuns

Lagavulin, 16 yr Islay. One of the oldest distilleries in Scottland, history of competition with Laphroaig for the distinction of the "best" Islay scotch.

The nose is very interesting. Slightly peaty, with smoke, salt and honey present.

First taste is smokey and slightly peaty. (Not offensively peaty) The finish is long, dry and very smokey with a hint of wood at the very end. The finish is surprisingly long and pleasant.

My favorite Scotch is Old Pulteney and this is a very close second. This is my first time with a "peaty" single malt and I found it to be an interestingly different experience. The peat isn't over powering and gives this scotch a very interesting and enjoyable flavor.

At a cost of around $74 retail in my area I find it a bit pricey as compared to Old Pulteney, but I picked up a bottle this afternoon and will savor it as an alternative to the few scotch selections I currently own.

My modest cabinet includes:

Glenlivet 12
Glenmorangie 12 Sherry Wood
Old Pulteney 12
Lagavulin 16
Knob Creek (Bourbon of course)

Good to see others doing a review. I hope to see more :)

I haven't tried too many single malts yet, however Lagavulin 16yr is far and away the best. :D

I am compelled to update this review. After 1/2 the bottle and going back and forth between LV and OP I have to say the LV has taken the lead as my favorite scotch. The smoke and peat really draw you in over time.

I still recommend Old Pultney if you haven't tried it...