• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

SewerRanger

At the suggestion of others, I was told to look out for this particular scotch thanks to its heavy peat and smoke flavors. Well never one to shy away from something new (even if it does take me a while), I went in search of this bottle and actually found it for $30 in a liquor store in the hood. Score! The first thing I noticed was the distinctive lack of an age on this bottle - immediate red flags for a single malt scotch. Undeterred I spent my $40 (grabbed an old school Four Loko that they had too - I was in the adventurous mood) and headed home. My immediate first impressions were of a clingy overpowering smoky smell. You're hit in the face with a smoky smell from the first sniff. It was like someone started a house fire down the street it was so intense. Just barely (after you get over the smoke smell) you can make out a little bit of peat and oak in the nose. It poured a nice warm yellowish color (probably from it's second casking in small oak barrels) and maintained it's clinging smoke smell. A sip of this monster reveals a more nuanced flavor profile then the smell would lead you to believe. Don't get me wrong it's a smoke and peat monster (with an odd oily feel to it), but you can also make out a bit of the classic Islay of Geese brine and seaweed flavors. Theres a tease of liquorice and what seems like a nice smooth slightly sweet finish. On the idea that maybe some water will help keep the smoke down, I tried a second snifter with a bit of water in it. This is how this stuff is supposed to be enjoyed. The super smoky flavors all but disappeared and were replaced with a pleasant lightly smoky earth flavor. There was the same liquorice but now you could fully appreciate the other flavors too - a hint of vanilla and some butteriness with more of a sweet finish starting sooner, all topped off with a salty sweet malt finish that ends perfectly leaving the aforementioned smoke flavors in your mouth. Overall I really enjoyed this scotch; with a little bit of water, I could drink this most of the day.

I just bought a bottle of the basic Laphroaig 10 year old scotch. I looked for reviews, but most were for the older agings. I hope my experience is as pleasant as yours. I plan to get my nose pretty wet tonight. :D OBTW, thanks for your review.

Steve

Nice review, when I try to explain the smell and flavor of Laphroaig, I tell them to imagine a bonfire on the beach with a hospital taste thrown in for good measure.

Well, I drank my first Laphroaig Scotch., I must say, even after reading the reviews, it exceeded my expectations in almost every catagory. The "hospital" smell was very strong. I imagine that is due to the use of Peat for curing the malt? The smokiness of the Scotch was way different than I had ever experienced with any previously tasted single malts. The first dram was tough. I kept arguing with myself as to weather or not I wanted to continue. But Doc said "drink it till you like it". So then outside I went to grill some burgers for dinner, carrying my 2nd dram. I will say, by the end of the second glass, I had decided it had a chance. Then we ate, and I poured my third. OBTW, the first drink was "neat" the next two were with ice. I don't know, the jury is still out. I will try it again soon, but for now, I still think I prefer my Glenfiddich. :blush:

I tried drinking some more yesterday neat and I just couldn't do it. The smoke flavor is a bit too overpowering for me. I like this stuff - it's different then most of the other scotches I've had - but I think I like The Glenlivet better.