• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Laptop shopping. Come help!!

b.dawgson

Official BeeDog inductee!
Hey all! I'm shopping for a new laptop (2 in 1) and am looking for some suggestions or first hand experiences if anybody has any.

I'm starting my Master's program (Quality Engineering and Management) in a couple weeks and need something I can take to class, do online classes, take notes, run statistical analysis software, type papers on, etc.

I went to Best Buy tonight and really like the look and feel of the HP Spectre x360. The one I like has the 7th gen i7, 8GB Ram, and 256ssd. It is 1080 and has active stylus/Windows Ink.

Anyone have any experience or input? I'm curious if the windows ink could replace my notebook for note taking?!? Writing on it seemed fluid.

The only other product that felt as good as the Spectre was the Lenovo Yoga. I don't think it works with an active stylus though.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a fan of the surface pro. I've never owned one but played with one a time or two. My home laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 13. I like it a lot.

Your specs look good. Do they make one with a larger solid state disk, say a 500? That's the only real issue I have.

ETA: I think the yoga 900 series can use an active stylus but don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
After years of issuing Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, my employer is now issuing HP laptops for 'high end' application. Not bad at all, my work ride isn't a 2N1 but it's hella fast with an i7 and 16GB of ram, and an nVidia video subsystem. I run Cadence sessions on it with a second screen and it works flawlessly. A friend just bought a Lenovo Yoga 910 and that is a very impressive machine, and very nice to look at. That machine would be the top of the list for me if I were looking for a personal machine. Might take a close look at one of those:

http://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-900-series/Lenovo-Yoga-910-13IKB/p/80VF00LTUS

A fast i5 should do everything you want to do and then some. 16GB of RAM will be happily used by W10 and I recommend same.

I can easily recommend either of the two I have considerable cockpit time on, the Lenovo or the HP. Shop the deals, best of luck to you on the purchase and the Master's program...!!

Thanks for the suggestions! The problem I'm finding is the 16GB versions with the 512 ssd are also 4k. Which is cool and all, but totally unnecessary on a 13.3" laptop plus it's a battery drain.

Even the one I'm looking at is a little high on the budget. But the feel in the hand of the Spectre and the Yoga are both outstanding!

Two solid machines, to be sure. I'm sure HP is well aware of just who the competition is....:cool:

Like I said, a family member recently scored a Yoga and it just blew me away. Light, powerful, and the display was unbelievable. It had a touch screen so I'm sure it'd work with the appropriate stylus. Based on playing with that for an afternoon, it'd be the top of my list if that were the type of machine I was looking for.

Call me a troglodyte, but the stylus / touchscreen thing just isn't for me. In fact, I'm kinda weird about fingerprints on my monitors....the thought of dragging a finger over them on a routine basis is genuinely unsettling....:eek: Besides, I can type quite a bit faster than I can print, and that has the added bonus of me being able to read it afterwards....unlike my handwriting....:p

Last edited:
The one I'm looking at now is i7, 16GB, 512 PCIe SSD and 4k... Not that I need any of that but for $1250 it'll be hard to pass up. Just have to wait for the weekend to go look in person.

I discounted the XPS 2-in-1 mainly because of the fanless cooling system and low power Y series processors. Basically the m5/m7 is now called an i5-Y and an i7-Y. That makes it seem like you're getting the i5/i7 but it's not the same.

Also the Spectre isn't easily upgraded... RAM is soldered in place and if I'm not mistaken so is the SSD.