• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lesson Learned - fake EL Cohibas & Monte #2s

twizz

IITYWYBMAB
In being my first post here, please advise if I'm out line with anything I say, but I'm hoping to get some insight/advice/intellectual conversation (I'm usually left looking crazy, talking to myself in search of the latter).

So I hadn't had a good cigar in probably six months, just lots of life things going on that I didn't sit down for one. Even found some (destroyed) oldies in the humidors (table and travel). My boss and I were discussing his upcoming order of cubans, and I asked to get in on it, and he said no problem, so I spent the time and got the humidors back up to spec, fresh battery in the hydrogometer, etc. Pricing was on the soft side of right (~250/box), and he indicated that he found his source's source, and is going direct to him. In the meantime, I placed a small order of 10 sticks from an overseas vendor with a great rep (love to talk to anyone with experience with those), and got a box of Onxy Reserve mini-belicosos to fill up the empty space.

He sends me a text message yesterday saying he was on his way there and asked what I wanted (he was getting Monte #2s). I told him I'd prefer any Cohiba (A Cuban Cohiba is the most memorable smoke I've ever had, and I was a 3 stick a day guy for three years) for myself, and I'd like a few of his Monte 2s. While I never anticipate his arrival at work, this Monday morning was a little different, but why wouldn't it be when he's bearing such gifts.

I'm immediately excited by the 'Edicion Limitada 2007' band across the top left corner of the Cohiba Piramides box, but what sets me off is the warranty seal on the RIGHT side of the box (don't they come on the left). That, and the fact that Cohiba wasn't a party to the 07 EL. Its been too long since I've had a Cohiba in my hand to compare, but all of these small things are adding up to my 99% confidence level of a fake.

Hopefully some more experienced members can weigh in on this before I break the bad news to him, so let me answer some obvious questions: These are represented as domestic market Cubans, with the hologram sticker on the lid. Warranty seal has microprinting in the proper places, as well as the UV mark. Box is of the standard 13-12 arrangement (what do you call this thing again). Hinges on the back are on the smaller side (<1 inch). Box code is SOR NOV 06. I have yet to find an SOR code anywhere online, let alone for a Cohiba. Cohiba Brand Sticker on the inside of the lid has a white border after the gold border (don't recall seeing this anywhere else). Cigars themselves seem to be well made, but each has at least one large vein protruding from the wrapper. I can post pics if you guys would like to see what I have.

Has anyone else encountered these??

I'm from the philly area, and these came from a source in SNJ (PM me or edit this line for deletion if it is too revealing).

In being my first post here, please advise if I'm out line with anything I say, but I'm hoping to get some insight/advice/intellectual conversation (I'm usually left looking crazy, talking to myself in search of the latter).

So I hadn't had a good cigar in probably six months, just lots of life things going on that I didn't sit down for one. Even found some (destroyed) oldies in the humidors (table and travel). My boss and I were discussing his upcoming order of cubans, and I asked to get in on it, and he said no problem, so I spent the time and got the humidors back up to spec, fresh battery in the hydrogometer, etc. Pricing was on the soft side of right (~250/box), and he indicated that he found his source's source, and is going direct to him. In the meantime, I placed a small order of 10 sticks from an overseas vendor with a great rep (love to talk to anyone with experience with those), and got a box of Onxy Reserve mini-belicosos to fill up the empty space.

He sends me a text message yesterday saying he was on his way there and asked what I wanted (he was getting Monte #2s). I told him I'd prefer any Cohiba (A Cuban Cohiba is the most memorable smoke I've ever had, and I was a 3 stick a day guy for three years) for myself, and I'd like a few of his Monte 2s. While I never anticipate his arrival at work, this Monday morning was a little different, but why wouldn't it be when he's bearing such gifts.

I'm immediately excited by the 'Edicion Limitada 2007' band across the top left corner of the Cohiba Piramides box, but what sets me off is the warranty seal on the RIGHT side of the box (don't they come on the left). That, and the fact that Cohiba wasn't a party to the 07 EL. Its been too long since I've had a Cohiba in my hand to compare, but all of these small things are adding up to my 99% confidence level of a fake.

Hopefully some more experienced members can weigh in on this before I break the bad news to him, so let me answer some obvious questions: These are represented as domestic market Cubans, with the hologram sticker on the lid. Warranty seal has microprinting in the proper places, as well as the UV mark. Box is of the standard 13-12 arrangement (what do you call this thing again). Hinges on the back are on the smaller side (<1 inch). Box code is SOR NOV 06. I have yet to find an SOR code anywhere online, let alone for a Cohiba. Cohiba Brand Sticker on the inside of the lid has a white border after the gold border (don't recall seeing this anywhere else). Cigars themselves seem to be well made, but each has at least one large vein protruding from the wrapper. I can post pics if you guys would like to see what I have.

Has anyone else encountered these??

I'm from the philly area, and these came from a source in SNJ (PM me or edit this line for deletion if it is too revealing).

Please provide some pictures.

The red highlights are some 'warning' signs.

Also...did they come in a 25 count box?

LINKY to some fake/real stuff.

I'll take some pictures tonight and see if I can get them up here for you. I get the red highlights, esp with regard to the cohibas, but, on that note, my very TRUSTED and reputable overseas source is $278/box for #2s, and that includes shipping and no questions asked guarantee. $250/box Its not my boss I don't trust; I need to show him his source is untrustworthy.

Yes, 25 count box....but, if i may seem naive, why is that important?

I'll take some pictures tonight and see if I can get them up here for you. I get the red highlights, esp with regard to the cohibas, but, on that note, my very TRUSTED and reputable overseas source is $278/box for #2s, and that includes shipping and no questions asked guarantee. $250/box Its not my boss I don't trust; I need to show him his source is untrustworthy.

Yes, 25 count box....but, if i may seem naive, why is that important?

A Cohiba EL 25cnt box?

It can't get more cut and dry than that. Cohiba did not produce a 2007 EL; thus there is no way they can be real.

typically the easiest way to discover an unauthentic box of cohibas, is not the seals, but the box itself. the counterfeiters usually mess up in two crucial areas, the brochetta or clasp and the hinges.

the brochetta should have a clean representation of the indian head, it is never muddled

the hinges should be of high quality and have the word cohiba imprinted cleanly on the surface.

they never get these parts correct.

cheers
drew p

A Cohiba EL 25cnt box?

Again, these are represented and marked as a domestic product, so I wasn't certain, so I turn to some experts ;D

Search is your friend

Brian

Brian, I've searched my head off for about two weeks on all things CC, and thats why the warranty seal made me take a double take (can't tell you the last picture I saw with it on the right). But really, are these guys that good at faking a warranty seal with the UV image? and the hologram 'Aqui, Su Garantia?? Wow!!!

It can't get more cut and dry than that. Cohiba did not produce a 2007 EL; thus there is no way they can be real.

My sentiments exactly, but I'm not that well versed, so best to double check.

typically the easiest way to discover an unauthentic box of cohibas, is not the seals, but the box itself. the counterfeiters usually mess up in two crucial areas, the brochetta or clasp and the hinges.

the brochetta should have a clean representation of the indian head, it is never muddled

the hinges should be of high quality and have the word cohiba imprinted cleanly on the surface.

cheers
drew p

Drew,
By far, the best tips I've read anywhere, and I've seen and read all the counterfeit comparisons. May I ask what a brochetta is? And yes, I did google it, and google insisted I was asking for bruschetta. The box seems almost to be a dead giveaway, but then again, I've never had an original box of Cohibas in my hand. Wrong serial number on warranty stamp for the box code date, bad factory code, etc.

Thank you all for your input, and I think from now on I'm going to stick to my pricey, but trusted Euro vendor. I'm very open to PMs from any of the FOGs with some advice, and looking forward to posting with you guys. Now only if the g/f will give me a nice boob shot for an avatar, I'll really be part of the community!!

For now, I'm going to light a fresh RJ short churchill from said vendor, and post some pictures shortly.

Cohiba EL '07= 100% fake; nothing more should be needed :thumbs:

A Cohiba EL 25cnt box?

Again, these are represented and marked as a domestic product, so I wasn't certain, so I turn to some experts ;D

Search is your friend

Brian

Brian, I've searched my head off for about two weeks on all things CC, and thats why the warranty seal made me take a double take (can't tell you the last picture I saw with it on the right). But really, are these guys that good at faking a warranty seal with the UV image? and the hologram 'Aqui, Su Garantia?? Wow!!!

My sentiments exactly, but I'm not that well versed, so best to double check.

cheers
drew p

Drew,
By far, the best tips I've read anywhere, and I've seen and read all the counterfeit comparisons. May I ask what a brochetta is? And yes, I did google it, and google insisted I was asking for bruschetta. The box seems almost to be a dead giveaway, but then again, I've never had an original box of Cohibas in my hand. Wrong serial number on warranty stamp for the box code date, bad factory code, etc.

Thank you all for your input, and I think from now on I'm going to stick to my pricey, but trusted Euro vendor. I'm very open to PMs from any of the FOGs with some advice, and looking forward to posting with you guys. Now only if the g/f will give me a nice boob shot for an avatar, I'll really be part of the community!!

For now, I'm going to light a fresh RJ short churchill from said vendor, and post some pictures shortly.

The Brochetta aka the clasp..