• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lighters are ok through aiprport security

PJ the Comic

Official Illusione Whore
As I traveled through the Alabama airport today, after my strip search, sagging pants from no belt, shoes off, no clippers, nail files or any other remotely manly tools for fear of the inevitable "sir please step out of line while the TSA performs a colon check", I go into the little shop only to see a case of lighters on the counter at check out. I asked how was it ok to sell these if I cannot bring them into the check point line. The lady behind the counter informed me that the rules had eased recently and it was now ok to bring lighters on the plane.
This would have been nice to know while trying to keep my travel case, over humidified sticks, in the soggy Alabama woods lit.

Has anyone else heard about this easing of travel restrictions?

PJ

This has been true for awhile now. Common lighters, Bic type, are not prohibited in carry-on but cigar torches are still no-no.

I wonder if a Dupont would be classified as a Bic-style lighter? It's definitely not a torch.

I wonder if a Dupont would be classified as a Bic-style lighter? It's definitely not a torch.

You Dupont lighter people are probably gold medallion members or traveling first class - so you get enough special privileges! The Bic folks are in coach. :)

John

This is why I stick with cedar matches in the checked luggage or travel via Amtrak. AFAIK, butane lighters in general are a no-no (checked or carry-on) while the others are ok. You can get containers for the Zippo variety that are to be used in checked-luggage. I always check here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm to see what's changed and if anything pertains to me, I print out a copy to bring (I have one wrapped around my cigar cutters just in case the TSA reps don't get notified of changes -- they are human and mistakes can be made).

ETA: I think I'll have to bring the matches with me through checked luggage. Oops.