• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Liquid cooled dual processor G5s

moki

el Presidente
This is pretty damn sweet.

designtop06102004.jpg

The Power Mac G5 is the world’s coolest personal computer in every sense of the term. Mind-boggling leaps in processing power require innovative design for dissipating heat. So the Power Mac G5 delivers a system that screams with power, not noisy fans.

Hip To Be Cool

Take it up a notch without losing your cool. The top-of-the-line Power Mac G5 with dual 2.5GHz processors squeezes outrageous performance into tight quarters. To cool down those steaming circuits, Apple designed a sophisticated liquid cooling system that takes off the heat without bumping up the noise. Mac OS X dynamically adjusts the flow of the fluid and the speed of the fans based on temperature.

designliquidcool06082004.jpg

I've seen water cooling systems for PC's for as low as $150, they've been around a few years. It's definately a worthy investment IMO, especially if you are one of those who leaves the computer on all the time. Helps keep the benchmarks up.

As the wise Beavis once said, "you can't polish a turd."

Quite applicable, its still a Mac :D

Quite applicable, its still a Mac

Boy is this a can of worms I was hoping wouldn't come up. I guess I'll pass out the flame retardant gear. ???

I installed 2 of the older dual 2 gig units in our design department in March. Only 2 Macs I have in the network :angry:

My knowledge of computers is pretty small, but I do see an advantage. Maybe not practical because smaller and lighter always seems to be better.

A friend saw the talk show when someone submersed a TV in this liquid and it still functioned. He found some information and sent it my way. Could be a circus act, but 3M is a huge company, I can't see them spreading false info.

As far as cooling systems for computers. Water is an excellent source for displacing heat, but it is corrosive and conductive. A water jacket is not nearly as effective as submersing a unit because there is far less points of contact.

If this liquid does not react with any of the components of the computer and does not conduct a current I don't see any issues.

I'm a chemist not a computer tech. Could be more to this than I see.

I am into regular computing. I might buy a liquid cooled computer in the future. I am into doning my own mods and upgrades on the computers I own. I would not want a computer that I couldn't modify because of liquid cooling.

Emo

Back