• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Long story short... ok, not that short

Thanks for all the input guys. I plan to go ahead and do it right and contiune with the insurance claim. There are just too many things that can go wrong with the other option, none of which I really want to deal with. Again, thanks for all the input and the BOTL voice of reason. I will let you know how it turns out.

DD

IS she cute????

Well? :laugh:

Much of my decision would be based on the amount of damage and how well you know the individuals. Less than 500 dollars of damages is not worth filing unless you do not know this couple very well. If its minor damage give them the option to directly pay the repair shop of your choosing. Have the repair shop charge the estinmated amount in advance of the work.

Edited to add: The above opinion is based on "being a nice guy". Short of wanting to help this other couple go directly through insurance and do not pass go.

Speaking from personal experience, I say do it right. File a report, and let her insurance deal with it.

My ex and I were involved in a similar incident. A neighbor kid backed thier car into mine (partly my own damn fault for parking at the end of the drieway instead of pulling in. Live and learn I guess :whistling: ). We settled it the "neighborly way", and the car was never the same after. Both passenger doors leaked when it rained and of course, no one would take responsibility for it.

I can understand why you would want to deal with it without getting the insurance companies involved, but trust me, it just ain't worth it. Your wife can find another daycare client if it becomes an issue, hopefully it won't come to that.

Good luck!

There are terms for accident victims who decide not to go through their insurance: "future plantiff" and "future defendant".

I think the other person will understand if you want to play it straight...

I'd book it man. We live in an age where you can be sued for a kid hoping your fence and drowning in your pool. That's why homeowners insurance is much more expensive for people who own a pool. Anyway, file with your insurance and the police. You really have to watch your back now a days.

Some good advice here but it is true that you do not need to go through your insurance company if she is at fault and claims responsibility. You can work directly with her insurance company once a claim number has been filed and and adjuster assigned. This would save you from your insurance company possibly raising your rates for an accident that wasn't your fault.

Another thing to watch out for is for you to demand that the body shop that does the repair use OEM parts to repair your car. You can also request them to pay for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop.

Hope this helps in some way.

:cool:

Some good advice here but it is true that you do not need to go through your insurance company if she is at fault and claims responsibility. You can work directly with her insurance company once a claim number has been filed and and adjuster assigned. This would save you from your insurance company possibly raising your rates for an accident that wasn't your fault.

Another thing to watch out for is for you to demand that the body shop that does the repair use OEM parts to repair your car. You can also request them to pay for a rental car while your vehicle is in the shop.

Hope this helps in some way.

:cool:

Good input, it definately helps.

File a police report AT LEAST. I would go by the book too as you could have frame damage (no matter how small the lick) and that leads to alignment problems which leads to brake problems. Besides if you get a crappy repair job you're gonna have a nightmare getting it fixed, and if you take it to court they'll want to know why you didn't consult your insurance carrier to begin with. I'm just a lowly law student so I'm not sure about this, but I would get SOMETHING in writing stating that maybe they (neighbor) pay for this and any subsequent necessary repair stemming from this accident as determined by a professional not to exceed x dollars.

God when the legalease starts flowing I can't shut that crap off!

This really depends on the damage. If say there was only damage on the fender, then I would go with the friend's friend. The only thing that needs to be done here is a new fender, primer, and paint.

The reason a guy from a body shop can do a discounted price, is because he doesn't pay for electricity, bondo, sandpaper, primer, and clearcoat.

He'll just use the shop's materials and all he has to buy is basecoat to match your color. For a fender all you need is a pint of paint. Here he has a choice to go with a cheaper line which is $20 or a better line for $50. You just have to make sure he goes with the better one for a better match.

I would be the nice guy, and fix it myself and pocket the money. :laugh:

This really depends on the damage. If say there was only damage on the fender, then I would go with the friend's friend. The only thing that needs to be done here is a new fender, primer, and paint.

The reason a guy from a body shop can do a discounted price, is because he doesn't pay for electricity, bondo, sandpaper, primer, and clearcoat.

He'll just use the shop's materials and all he has to buy is basecoat to match your color. For a fender all you need is a pint of paint. Here he has a choice to go with a cheaper line which is $20 or a better line for $50. You just have to make sure he goes with the better one for a better match.

I would be the nice guy, and fix it myself and pocket the money. :laugh:

Im not sure I understand what you are saying.Do most body shops let their employees use shop materials for side jobs? ???

That depends on the shop, but most of them are worried about their insurance claim jobs. If they let you do side jobs, they won't care as long as you finish the insurance claim jobs. Insurance claims is where the money is at besides custom painting. If they have enough insurance claim jobs, they will turn down walk-in jobs. Those jobs don't pay as much.