• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for a good cigar to age

JWSmokey1

Hello everyone.

I am looking for a cigar that will age well. More specifically, I want to buy a box of cigars that will hold up for 20 year or so. I looked through some of the forums but thought a direct approach would work best.

Here’s what I’m looking for:

Origin: A domestic cigar (that is, a cigar that is legally available in the United States)
Price: $250 to $350 for a box of 20 to 25
Flavor: Full body
Size: Churchill

Any of these "requirements" can be changed if your suggestions warrant it.

It would be an added bonus if the cigars came in an attractive box and/or were packaged in individual “coffins” or tubes.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Someone stop me if I am wrong. But, Why don't you choose a cigar you already enjoy. Why spend $250-$350 on someones suggestion? I can't see spending that kind of money on a box of cigars then waiting 20 years to find out it wasn't what you wanted.

X2
Try 10 or so premiums. Choose one or two you like best then procure a box and put them to bed.

20 yrs is a very long time for a cigar. Too long for most. My suggestion is age some Padron x000's for 5 yrs or so. See if they don't turn into '64's.

Doc.

Haven't we gone through this before?

Edit: I apologize. I thought this topic was similar to another one, but when I located the thread I was thinking about, it was a different topic started by a different poster. Sorry for the confusion.

You definitely want to stick with something that you enjoy and not a suggestion from other members. They can't tell you what you'd like now and they aren't going to be able to tell you what you'll like in 20 years. Follow the suggestion of finding a few smokes you like and then put them down for a nap.

I dont want to jump to conclusions but I will just cause sometimes you have to.

It sounds like you're looking for something to possibly sell in the future when they've aged to possibly make some money?

Not that thats wrong, but like the others here have said, might as well just go with something you know you enjoy. That way you know how it smokes now and will be able to appreciate how it ages!

I know for me its kinda like collecting wine. I'll only buy a wine to age if I know I like it. I wouldn't want to spend a sh*t ton of money on something thats only going to age into more expensive crap.

Good luck!

As Devil Doc rightly points out, 20 years is a LONG time for a cigar. Half that might be too long for many.

3-5 year nap, however, will do lovely things to almost any cigar. Pick a few good full-bodied ones you like and put 'em bye for a bit and you'll likely not be disappointed. I don't generally have the patience for aging myself, but I have had a 3 year old Shark and a 5 year old RyJ CC, and both were extraordinary.

~Boar

That wouldn't work for me, my taste change every 20 days, even sooner when its warm out... :thumbs:

I am not assuming any kind of ill motive on this question. I am not reading into anything about him buying as an investment to sell or anything else. For all I know this is to celebrate an important anniversary of some kind. While 20 years is indeed an awfully awfully long time to age a box of cigars, if I were going to age a box that long then I would be thinking Padron all the way.

Good luck with your aging effort.

You will find that even some of our advertisers for ISOM tell you up front that 5 years is about max, (their words). Beyond that they do not recommend anything longer, and they list their reasoning. Take a look.

I also agree with the comment on Padron, always a good smoke you can count on. Years make it better.

Personally, when the wifey and I have a kid, I'm going ot buy a box of the My Father's Le Beijou 1922's and age them by smoking one a year on the birthday of said child.

I already do that with a box of Love Storys I have from Fuente. I smoke one every 5th year of my anniversary, so by the end, the last cigar will be 25 years old. We'll see what happens!

20 yrs is a very long time for a cigar. Too long for most. My suggestion is age some Padron x000's for 5 yrs or so. See if they don't turn into '64's.

Doc.
WINNER, WINNER chicken dinner!!!!!Doc knows what he is talking about here my friend! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Personally, when the wifey and I have a kid, I'm going ot buy a box of the My Father's Le Beijou 1922's and age them by smoking one a year on the birthday of said child.

I have similar plans. I was just wondering what cigars people would suggest.

IMHO I find that ISOMs tend to age better than NCs or DRs...at least from the aged cigars that I have sampled. Though I have yet to sample a cigar that is more than 10 years old. Know that if you intend to age cigars for 20 years you have to be prepared to store them properly, if not...in 20 years they will be unsmokable. What you want to find is a strong cigar (as it will mellow with age) that you like with and oily wrapper that is preferably a darker shade. Most importantly, you should like the cigar in question. As it seems you are focused on cigars that can be legally obtained in the U.S...I would suggest Padrons as others have. I tend to be more of a fan of the 26 than the 64s, but if I was going to pick something to age, I would look at the 45s that were released late last year. Those IMHO have some serious aging potential. I have only seen these in boxes of 5, but look around...there may be other packaging options. If not, pick up 5 boxes of the 5ct. Good luck on your search.

20 years is to long if you intend to smoke them. If it's something you must do, then a full bodied large ring size smoke would be best.

Dirty dave suggest a Padron 000's and i would have to agree that they would age well. I have no idea how it would taste after 20 years but my experience with some 30 yo cigars tells me they would be not worth the effort.. I had a Cuban Cigar post in Aug of 09 regarding some 30 yo cubans that were sent to me by a friend. The post was titled "to smoke or not to smoke". The popular opinion was to smok' em. So I tried one of each type that wasn't in a sealed box and they were all dead and rough. They were stored well for the 30 years so that wasn't a issue

Here's a link if you would like more info;

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/html/cig101_2pac.asp

I have had a few Don Carlos from the mid '90s and they were excellent smokes. They age very well IMHO.