• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Looking for Port and Sherry recomendations

theginguy

Hey all, I'm getting into port and sherry. I'm looking for cheaper tawny's and sherries that go well with tobacco. The only store in my area that sells a limited selection of these, is TotalWine, so I can only get the bigger named brands, like, dow, fladgate, fonseca, sandeman etc...

I would like to stay on the more drier side and more earthy less candy sweet, more spicy, chocolet, raisen, cinamony... profile. A 10 year is as old as I want to go. Thanks.

Do you have a price range?
I tend to stick with LBVs and Crusted port as they have more body and are less sticky sweet than tawnies.

My all time favourite port is Graham's LBV. I have also tried some other ports.. Sandeman Founder's Reserve was quite good as well. My Dad initially turned me on to port with some Emu 999, but it's rather cheap IMO. Not much depth to the flavour and way too sweet. LBV is a great way to get some good quality without the high costs of vintages, that and no decanting needed! One less step between me and the drink :)

As for sherry, I've only bought two bottles. Harvey's Bristol Cream was quite nice, and I can't recall the other right now. I bought it to cook with, but I firmly believe in the principle "If you wouldn't drink it, why would you cook with it?". All I remember is it was a dry sherry.

The Graham's and Sandeman are sold locally for around $20 CAD. I don't know what the cost would be where you are, but the federal government imposes some stiff taxes on alcohol and especially tobacco.

LBV is a great way to get some good quality without the high costs of vintages, that and no decanting needed! One less step between me and the drink :)

Unless you purchase a traditional or unfiltered LBV. Those do require filtering and decanting and can be be cellared.
There are the minority of LBVs sold though.