• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Macanudo 1968

In the mean time, I've become quite enamored by the Hemingway Fuente compliments of a recent sale by Eric over at www.jackschwartz.com. These are rather hard to find, so given my narrow experience with the wonderful world of cigars - can B.B.S. or some of you more experienced aficionados guide me to cigars that are similar to the Hemingway?

Which of the AF Hemingway have you smoked? The Arturo Fuente Hemingway line encompasses a variety of vitolas and a few options for wrappers - If you enjoyed what you have already tried, I would spend a little time sampling a variety of the line to fully experience it.

In the natural wrapper, I prefer the Short Story as it's size is a nice niche in my collection- many prefer the Best Seller due to the taste similarity & larger size. Of all the Hemingway's my favorites are the Work of Art Maduro ( aka WOAM ) followed by Maduro Classics and Maduro Signatures. I enjoy a Untold Story as a special occassion cigar. While Between the Lines are beautiful to look at, their rarity makes it difficult to enjoy them as anything other than a novelty.

With the holidays approaching, this is a great time of year to experince Hemingway's. The maduro line is typically released in quantity from preThanksgiving until stock runs out as Christmas approaches.

For reference :

HemingwaySizes.jpg

( L to R ): Masterpiece(M) - Masterpiece(N) - Untold Story(M) - Classic(N) - Classic(M)- Signature(N) - Signature(M) - Work of Art(N) - Work of Art(M)- Best Seller(N) -Between the Lines - Short Story(N)

Arturo Fuente Hemingway

Name...............................Size.................MSRP*/Box (Count)
Best Seller (N)...............5.00 x 43.........$ 5.50 / $137.50 (25)
Between the Lines..........5.00 x 54.........$13.25 / $331.25 (25)
Classic (N/M).................7.00 x 48........$ 7.25 / $181.25 (25)
Classic (SG)..................7.00 x 48........$ 7.90 / $197.50 (25)
Masterpiece (N/M)..........9.00 x 52........$13.50 / $135.00 (10)
Short Story (N)..............4.00 x 49........$ 4.60/ $115.00 (25)
Signature (N/M).............6.00 x 47........$ 6.50 / $162.50 (25)
Untold Story (M)............7.50 x 53........$12.50 / $312.50 (25)
Work Of Art (N/M).........4.875 x 54........$ 7.35 / $183.75 (25)

can B.B.S. or some of you more experienced aficionados guide me to cigars that are similar to the Hemingway?

- Rick

"Something similar" is a bit tougher. Hemi's have a rather unique profile that will be rather hard to match. However, one cigar that is a favorite of mine, and definitely in the same league in terms of quality of roll, complexity of flavor, and IMHO overall "experience" would be a Padron 1964 Anniversary. Most guys really like the maduro's but more and more I find myself reaching for a natural wrap version. MMM has them featured in one of his great reference threads which you can find right here. Try a Torpedo or an Imperial or a Exclusivo and you tell us what you think..... :cool:

Take care - B.B.S.

Sounds good. Given they are about twice the price are they twice as nice?

- Rick

I bought the sampler and frankly was a bit dissapointed. Burn and construction were spot on, but the flavor was very two dimensional and I found it more or less boring. Since I smoke for taste, I don't think I'll be buying more.

I'll quickly point out that personal preferences are what make this pastime go round, so just because I didn't care for the smoke, doesn't mean that someone else might like them a lot. My standard answer anytime I'm asked "...are XxXx any good..??....." is "try a couple, and you tell me.."... :cool:

Regards - B.B.S.

Yeah I smoked one of these too... pretty boring cigar, IMHO.