• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maduro advice for an newbie

I enjoy punch Double Maduro, Sancho Panza Double Maduro, CAO Brazilla, Hoya De Monterey Excalibur, Romeo Y Julieta Reserve Maduro, Punch Gran Puro, and Ashton Aged Maduro. All of those are excellent smokes. I too have found myself swinging more to the darker smokes than the natural wrapped ones.

Brandon

Personally, I hate CAO Brazillas. Sorry guys, they are not cool with me at all! Stay away!

When it comes to domestics, I'm a big maduro fan. The snobby maduros are great:
Padron 1926
PAM 1964
Añejo

However, I have found two cigars that are NOT maduro but look and taste like them to me. The first one is:

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
NOT the silver but the regular ole Exodus 1959's that have the gold bands, not the ones with the Silver bands. This has been known to cause a little confusion (right George :laugh: ). Here's what Famous-Smoke says about the Exodus 1959:
Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 cigars offer a medium-bodied, full flavored smoke commemorating the Exodus of the leading Cuban cigar families from their native Cuba. (The Toranos were one of those families.) Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 cigars are Cuban-pressed (semi-round) in chocolate colored Habano wrappers with Dominican, Honduran, Mexican, Nicaraguan & Costa Rican tobaccos. Sought for their creamy, rich flavor, long finish and captivating, roasted coffee and cocoa aroma, put these at the top of your favorites list!
As the bold says, these are Habano wrappers but they are sweet and tasty but supposedly NOT a maduro even though they sure look like one.

Another one I like is:

Oliva "O" Bold
The ones with the RED band, NOT the blue band which are called Oliva "O" Maduros. Hey George, maybe we should talk about Olivas over on a certain site and see if we can get another 11 page thread going :laugh:
Here's what Famous-Smoke says about the Oliva "O" Bolds:
Oliva O Bold cigars represent one of the finest and now 'boldest' editions from the Oliva Family, renowned for their superb fillers, wrappers and hand craftsmanship. Oliva O Bold cigars are puros blended with 100% Cuban-seed Habano tobacco grown in Nicaragua with an extra-hearty binder leaf for a full bodied smoke that's amazingly smooth. This is achieved by aging all the tobaccos for 5 years. If you love smooth, rich flavor and oily, mouthwatering wrappers try 'O' Bold now!
Again, the wrapper is NOT a maduro wrapper but to me, it sure looks and tastes like one. I have also smoked the Oliva "O" Maduros but I prefer the Bolds over the Maduros. AVB will disagree with me on this. For some reason, I find the Oliva "O" Maduros a little on the bitter side.

First for the one nobody mentioned yet:
La Luna Maduro Fuerte :love:

Some of my other fav. maduros:
PAM
Anejo
RyJ Reserve Maduro
Partagas Black

JAEwing said:
.while not expensive, the Trilogy "Exotic Maduro's" are dandys, IMHO. I split a box of the torps with a buddy and they are wonderful daily smokers.

Ok I will second that comment. These were very good.
[snapback]187436[/snapback]​

I will add a third to this recommendation. I just saw them on clearance on a site (can't remember which one). Supposedly they are going from tri pressed to round.

I have to add Punch Elite maduro. this is my go to cigar.

I would second the Torano Exodus. I swear on my box of Monte 3's that they smell just like a Padron 3000 maduro before lighting. The actual taste of a cigar after lighting is highly subjective one, so you would have taste one to see for yourself. I personally thing they are good, slightly cheaper alternative to a Padron 3000.

My first box of Gloria Wavells have so far been great, as well as the CAO Brazilia Gols. I find the bigger bazooka ring-sized cigars to be a bit less tasty then their smaller ringed brethen...something to think about when ordering. My 2 cents only of course :)

I a newbie also and have recently bought two bundles i would recommend if you are on a budget. I concur on the Flor de Ybor #85 maduros, available at Tampa Sweethearts. They are pretty mild, actually a little too mild for my taste. I would also recommend the Prestor Reserve maduros. They are med-full bodied and very good, and come at around $2 per stick. The feel and look of them are unbelievable at such a low price. The Sancho Panzo double maduro was also worthwhile, though the ash didn't hold well on the one i tried.

received 2 very very nice el rey del mundo maduros tissue wrap for my birthday from a guy i work with. they were about a year old and they were fabulous!!