• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mahogany's above Holt's

surfish.dave

I heard a rumor that Mahogany's is going to be closing the end of February. Has any of the Philly area people heard this?

I certainly haven't heard that. That would really be terrible. I'll have to swing by and check.

Here is what I have found out, second hand information. The Philly Cigar Club (PCC) confirmed it is closing and there is a Farewell to Mahogany on 2/27 featuring OSA. Also learned that It is going to be a Holt's cigar lounge and Mahogany is moving to a new location in the city.

As long as it's not the twin shoppe...
You got that right. I used to live on South Ninth(10 blocks away) so I feel at home with the south Philly peeps. Great bunch of locals hang there. I also smoked my first PSD4 out front courtesy of a BOTL.

Here is what I have found out, second hand information. The Philly Cigar Club (PCC) confirmed it is closing and there is a Farewell to Mahogany on 2/27 featuring OSA. Also learned that It is going to be a Holt's cigar lounge and Mahogany is moving to a new location in the city.

Good investigative work...thanks.

Stole this from PSU Opus X over at CF:

Here's the deal. Holts owns the entire building including the liquor license that they allowed Mahogany to operate under, so obviously they called the shots. Because of the smoking ban in Philadelphia, Mahogany was one of the few places in the city to actually smoke a cigar and drink some booze. Almost a monopoly. Mahogs was always crowded. However, it was starting to get a little dated and beat up but no $$ were really being put in to improve the place. As we know, because of Mahogs being located just upstairs from Holts, a ton of people who grab their cigars downstairs then go upstairs. Mahogs had a built in customer base especially when Holts did over the top events like when the Fuentes come to town. Holts got tired of people complaining about the condition of upstairs. Now, it wasn't a dump but it did need updating. So once the lease ran out, Holts decided to do it themselves. The joint will be closed for about 4 months and from what I know, Mahogs will be gutted and when they are done, it should be a real over the top, very classy place. In fact, they are trying to get approval from the city to do a roof top deck. It was a smart move for Holts because just think of the tie ins that they can do for cigar events. Trust me guys, once they reopen at the end of summer, I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

As for Tom, the owner of Mahogs, I have known him for years and I wish him well. As the smoking law is written in Philly, it may be tough to open a new location. And, in my opinion, I think opening a location to the new, over the top Ashton Cigar bar is crazy. I'm not sure if there are enough cigar smokers to support two bars so close to each other.

I just saw this thread and I was going to repost what I said over on CF. Thanks Anthony for doing it for me. :)

I never hope not. Anthony runs a great shop with some great customers who are always hanging around.

I just saw this thread and I was going to repost what I said over on CF. Thanks Anthony for doing it for me. :)

I never hope not. Anthony runs a great shop with some great customers who are always hanging around.

Tom...did you find out if the new Ashton Lounge is going to charge a membership fee to smoke there?

Tom...did you find out if the new Ashton Lounge is going to charge a membership fee to smoke there?

You know that will be part of the new structure! No good deed goes unpunished.

I was just up there not long ago and I don't remember it being natty. As smoking rooms go, I thought it was overdone for the women who may come in very occasionally.

If they made it look like a garage it would be perfect! :p

There is a shop in the Baltimore area that has an Ashton Lounge on the 2nd floor of their establishment, and it is private. You must be a member, or a guest of a member, to have access to the lounge.

Hopefully this won't be the business model for what is replacing Maghogany's.

There is a shop in the Baltimore area that has an Ashton Lounge on the 2nd floor of their establishment, and it is private. You must be a member, or a guest of a member, to have access to the lounge.

Quit following me around Bruce! ;)

Hopefully this won't be the business model for what is replacing Maghogany's.

Hopefully this won't be the business model for what is replacing Mahogany's.

That would suck as I don't go there enough to justify a membership...but every time I'm in Philly, I stop by and that's twice a month at best.

Hopefully this won't be the business model for what is replacing Mahogany's.

That would suck as I don't go there enough to justify a membership...but every time I'm in Philly, I stop by and that's twice a month at best.

I agree, though I might only make there once or twice a year. Even less of a justification for a membership.

But let's just be patient and see what the Levin's have in store.

Truth be told, I work a few blocks away and I doubt I'd be convinced to pay a membership fee for the privilege of spending my money in there.