• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maker's Mark New Strategy

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
B.B.S. sent this to me yesterday.

LINK

Two thoughts here...

1) Will the price go down with this thinner version?

2) So, they're watering it down to meet demand, has anyone at MM realized that MAYBE they expanded their distribution a bit too far and need to cut back so as NOT to affect quality?

One word fellas...GREED.

I read this whole marketing strategy in amazement. What is most unbelievable....they will compromise their age old recipe in the name of profit in a bourbon marketplace chocked full of tough competition and in a fragile economy where people are looking to get MORE for their money, not less.

They've completely lost their vision...an Accountant must be running this company now.

This is sad... I toured their distillery in 2006 and have been a devotee ever since.  This release says you can't tell the difference, but a large part of Maker's appeal was the fact they didn't mess with the recipe due to trends; if they've abandoned that, then I fear the quality is going to nosedive.

This is so sad. Another example of corporate greed. I won't be buying any more bottles. Just went through 2 out in Palm Springs. The guys all loved it. Had 1 fella that insisted on mixing it with diet coke. Was not happy about that.

Why not expand production instead of watering it down.

This may equal the Diet Coke debacle where they changed the recipe then had to change back due to public outcry.

They have a good established product why screw with it and loose your base.

Oh I know why, corporate greed, as ilikefishes said.

Looks like the bean counters are running the distillery, rather than the craftsmen that made the brand what it was.

Good bye, MM....you've lost a customer.

Maker's Mark has solved their problem. This should drive enough people away that they won"t even need to lower the proof.. The heritage of bourbon is a great marketing tool... sounds like MM has thrown theirs out the window.

Increasing supply isn't the only way to help meet demand.  I'd rather have them raise their price point than comprise their product.  

Maker's Mark has been my go to bourbon for years.  :(

kona1000 said:
That's one way to handle high demand- eliminate demand.

Dave, You hit the nail directly on the head with this statement.

Look at it from their point of view, firstly there is little change to the taste (I know, I taste tested this as part of their research.) How many of you put ice or water in your bourbon?  98 percent of people
that drink Maker's mix it with Coke, Ice or water anyway.....they will know no difference.  Basically the ABV decrease is the equivalent to a price increase, you are getting less alcohol for your money either way and they are doing the work of watering it down for you to begin with.

In the world of Bourbon that is aged 4 or more years they are producing today's product 4 years or more ago.  Therefore when demand is on an upward trend especially as steep as it has been, there will always be less supply.  They are required to forecast demand in 4 years today to drive production.  Most companies have difficulty doing this weeks out so think about how difficult it is to do years in advance.  So the question of why don't they just increase production, does not solve today's problem.  This problem is compounded the longer the Bourbon is aged (Pappy 20-23 used to be everywhere.)

Maker's will continue to advertise heavily and there will be little impact to the demand for their product.  Meanwhile if you are concerned check out some other similar recipes that are likely cheaper because fo their lack of advertising and marketing expenses.

Edit to add that this will likely occurr among other distillers for main stream brands.

Difficulty finding it in stores?  I'm not sure I buy that.  About the only bottle more prevalent on shelves is Jack Daniels from what I see.  I guess in the long run it doesn't matter one way or the other to me personally as I don't drink it.  As long as no one screws with WT 101, my price fighter bourbon needs will be unfazed.

MoeCizlak said:
Difficulty finding it in stores?  I'm not sure I buy that.  About the only bottle more prevalent on shelves is Jack Daniels from what I see.  I guess in the long run it doesn't matter one way or the other to me personally as I don't drink it.  As long as no one screws with WT 101, my price fighter bourbon needs will be unfazed.

You got that right.  Didn't realize you were also an afficionado of the "kickin' chicken"....... :p

Makers has been my main go to for years but when it went off sale and Four Roses went on sale for $15 less for 1.75L I switched.  For only a few dollars more I'd still pick Makers.  It will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference between the original and the "more" watered down version.  I guess I need to hurry up and pick up a bottle for comparison.

BlindedByScience said:

You got that right.  Didn't realize you were also an afficionado of the "kickin' chicken"....... :p

I don't know about the afficionado part, but the Bird simply can't be beat IMO.  It's the Padron 2000 of bourbon.

For a brand that continually promotes their "heritage", this is pretty disappointing.

I'm an ambassador, but have moved to other things over the last two years.

I think MM was originally developed by an advertisement/ Marketing executive.

What kind of water are they going to add? And how would they add it, by barrel ?

It's already watered down to 45%, now they're just taking it to 42%, right? I understand the "don't mess with a good thing" and the inherent greed here, but this is about the same as adding a splash of water yourself or an ice cube, no?

I wouldn't say it's the same as adding an ice cube, because adding the ice cube changes the temp of the drink as well. It won't change it a whole lot, and during the course of the drink it will go back to room temp, but it still makes it cooler. Now, if you want to do that, you're watering it down even more.

I am sure they will lower the price right.......     :rolleyes:

CBoukal said:
I am sure they will lower the price right.......     :rolleyes:

No, but they will keep from raising the price...in effect lowering the price from what it would have been raised to.