• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MAY TOBACCO OF THE MONTH - HADO'S DELIGHT

yanksfan

So I've been sitting on a tin of this waiting until May to give it a try.
I popped the lid and stuck my beak in for a whiff. A very powerful aroma of fruit and rum hit my senses. Reminds me of the rum cake I used to get from a local bakery called Gruttadauria's. But I digress. The aroma was almost too strong.
The tobacco seemed on the damp side so I dried a bowlful out for a few minutes. No need to rub this out.
I filled a Missouri Meerschum Legend and packed it on the taut side. Fired it up and all I could think of was juicy fruit chewing gum. Along with maybe raisins or something. Not all that appealing. As I smoked, the fruitiness kind of went away and it turned a tad bitter. No real bite, but an unpleasant bitterness. I didn't get any discernible tobacco flavors. Kept smoking hoping this would gain some favor with myself, but it never happened. On the plus side, it burned cool and needed very little tending.
In conclusion I really wanted to like this. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I'll re-visit this another time and maybe the experience will be different. If not I'll have almost 2 ounces of Hado's Delght to trade ;)

DCP01296.jpg

Mike

Interestingly, I smoked four or five bowls of this today. I don't usually do this with a tobacco I've never tried, but the first bowl I really didn't get much of an impression. The second was similar, but enjoyable. The next couple were more interesting to me. In general, I got a strong impression of earthiness. I did not get any fruity or nutty overtones. It struck me as a tobacco to enjoy and not overanalyze. It doesn't do backflips or whatnot, it just is what it is. Not overly tobacco tasting, either. Interesting stuff.

I like Haddo's Delight.

I do get the raisin/fig note (but not bubble gum) which I find a nice change of pace from my regular diet of English/Balkan blends. I agree with Bob that there is an earthy quality as well. I find Haddo's to burn well once allowed to dry out some. I doubt that cellaring it would make much difference over time. It also has a nice room note according to my wife.

Haddo's is not an every day smoke for me but a blend that I would pick up with some regularity (like Cairo, another Greg Pease creation) as a change of pace.

From the GL Pease website:

This is a stout blend consisting of several grades of Virginia tobaccos with a generous measure of long-cut perique. Unflavored Green River black Cavendish and a little air-cured white burley ribbon provide fullness, body, and a bit of extra strength. Finally, an exclusive process darkens and marries the mixture, and gives the blend a subtle tin aroma of cocoa and dried fruit. The flavor is full on the palate, earthy, slightly sweet and intriguingly piquant, with overtones of figs and raisins. A wonderful and unprecedented blend for the true perique lover!

That pretty much sums up my experience with Haddo's. The tin I got was not too moist, in fact, it was just about perfect right out of the tin. Smokes cool and with an odd mixture of tastes that is hard to describe. The addition of Cavendish to the mix seems to toss such a curve into the blend that it is either a love or hate tobacco.

I for one love the stuff! Have ordered a couple more tins for the cellar.

I really wish I could like this. I'm not sure what it is, but I really find the fruitiness to be cloying. I've tried it moist straight from the tin, almost bone dry, and at varying levels of dryness in between. The fruitiness still just overpowers everything.

I'll revisit this in a few weeks, but it is not on my "list" at this point. Thank goodness there are so many different blends out there. :)

I really wish I could like this. I'm not sure what it is, but I really find the fruitiness to be cloying. I've tried it moist straight from the tin, almost bone dry, and at varying levels of dryness in between. The fruitiness still just overpowers everything.

I'll revisit this in a few weeks, but it is not on my "list" at this point. Thank goodness there are so many different blends out there. :)

x2, just the smell really turns me away.

I pretty much have the same general opinion on this tobacco. I tend to like the english blends I think.

Mixed together equal parts of SG FVF, McClelland 5100 and GLP Haddo's Delight.

Difficult decision to open the 1# tin of Haddo, glad I did it because it was packed so tight, would have aged slowly.

My reasoning for the blending? FVF is strong 100% VA, should age very well. MC5100 should also age very well and is a good blending VA.

Why the Haddo? It's strong with Big Earth and Perique, the Perique should get stronger over time, thus the whole blend should age and meld together nicely.
Packed in 1 pint mason jars. I minute hot water bath.

Am I mad? Perhaps. The help I need may not be found here.

Roy

Just a reminder of the upcoming TOTM:

June- Butternut Burley
July-Stanwell Melange