• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Memorial Day

Maggs44

Just want to thank all the veterans out there who went to war to protect our freedoms. I want to especially thank the WWII vets, because my Dad fought in WWII.

I was never really close to my Dad (he had 5 boys and worked 2 jobs to support us, so we didnt see him much). But after my Mom died a couple years ago, we all got closer to him.

The afternoon of our Mom's funeral all the boys, their wives, and all the Grandkids (and a couple great grandkids) gathered at Dads house and we had a cookout, had a few beers, and cigars my oldest brother brought (thats where I caught the good cigar fever).

Dad never talked about the war, but that day he did. He spoke of seeing the ship the 5 Sullivan boys were on blow up and all 5 (I think it was 5) brothers died.

But one story he told stands out. My Dad was in the Marines and he was on the first wave of the invasion of Guadacanal. Anyone with some sort of history knowledge knows that that was one of the bloodest battles in the pacific war.

He told us how just as he came out of the landing craft, 2 shells exploded next to him, and the men just to his left and right were killed. One of my brothers then said, "a few feet left or right and none of us would be here". Sure made us think.

So thanks to all the vets, we do appreciate your sacrifice.

Bruce

Maggs44 said:
So thanks to all the vets, we do appreciate your sacrifice.
Agree Bruce although some people will never understand the sacrifices made and why they were/are necessary........

Prayers to those currently in harms way!

We wanted to say something at the same time :) (see my post)
Actually you cannot say thanks to the vets enough.
I work with a lot of Vets and I know most of them truly appreciate when
ordinary citizens remember them and all they have done for this country.
Thank you to all the Vets