• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mephistopheles Stout

SewerRanger

Mephistopheles was the crafty devil in Faust, and this beer by Avery Brewing Company, has certainly earned the right to that name. Much like its sister brew The Beast, this is a large complex beer that’s best enjoyed with a full stomach and a good friend. They’re only brewed during the winter, but store well so grad one if you find it. The bottle is black with a frightening devils visage and a fiery red foil topper. You first realize you’re in trouble when you open the bottle and pour it into a glass. It pours out a dark coal color, thicker then normal beer and much more aromatic. The head began dark brown and large, but almost as if it was afraid of the beer, it disappeared in a couple of seconds leaving only a thin trace. Personally I’m afraid of this beer too. The first sniff assaults you instantly with coco and coffee smells then teases your nose with a hint of raspberries and alcohol. Don’t worry though, that alcohol will never manifest itself in a bitter alcohol flavor. This beer has too many other flavors to let an impurity like bitter alcohol take over. Speaking of the flavors, this beer is big on them. You’ll first taste a bitter chocolate flavor with the aforementioned raspberries; lots of roasted barely and coffee flavors will soon follow. Hints of caramel and roasted vanilla will glide over your tongue, dancing with flavors of raisons and roasted barely in a deranged ballet of taste. Finally everything gets smoothed out with a slightly sweet malt finish. All that and it was only the first sip. Boy was it a sip though. Be warned, this beer is a killer at 16% ABV and will quickly place you on the floor if you don’t exercise caution. I’ve got several bottles at home and nothing short of a deal with the devil will see me part with them.

We had it for our beer tasting one night. Definately not the best of the night.

med_gallery_8143_1020_153962.jpg

Nope, it didn't rank up there even in the top 5.... :whistling:

I actually find this beer slightly unbalanced. Glad you enjoyed it.

gallery_8143_1020_358522.jpg