• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mexican ISOM

Tuxindy

You Looking At Me!?
I recently (today) got back from a nice little trip to Cancun, and was fortunate to get good advice from various members of CP on scams. Too me delight I found a vender willing to part ways with a 25 ct box of Cohibas for $150.00 US Had it not been for the advice I got here I probaly would have bought them thinking I scored. I ended up going to a very nice cigar store in a ritzy mall and found some good smokes, Although other members think they are overpriced I found them to be about the same as the cigars sold here in Alaska (we have the highest tobacco tax) According to the cigar shop owner black market cubans are more common then beach rolled mexicans, the only way to tell the difference (for us newbies) is to match the certificate code number (the green tag) Also as a side note the owner parted with several empty boxes, that I planned on using for my coolidor but when I went to FedEx to mail them too me, FedEx informed me that every package coming from Mexico into Miami gets opened and ANYTHING Cuban is confiscated. I did report my Momentos to a customs agent at LAX and he had no problem with me keeping the boxes, just a little FYI. So if you'll excuse me, I'm Not going to smoke the cigars I did NOT bring back with me ;) Adios

Congrats on not getting taken. The statement you got from FedEx is a blanket statment they give..... there is no way possible for customs to open every package that comes into Miami (or anywhere else). You could have removed the bands, placed them in a non cuban cigar box and sent them to yourself as Mexican cigars.

As for the matching of the certificate code on the boxes.... that doesn't nessessarily make the contents inside real. ;) You can get fake cigars in real cuban cigar boxes.