• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Microwave tobacco?

Havana Affair

Through the grapevine, I heard placing pipe tobacco in the microwave for a minute or so does something for the tobacco... Has anyone heard about doing this or what the benefits might be??

I'm no tobacco expert, nor a microwave expert, but I can't see how it can do anything to the tobacco, except cook it. Maybe that releases some oils blah blah blah?

Since microwaves are tuned to the frequency of the O-H bond in water, I'd say all it will do is heat it up. Are there other compounds in tobacco with significant quantities of O-H bonds? Sugars maybe?

At a minute or so it'll just heat it up in any case.

I used to put fresh buds in the microwave to dry them out! :laugh:

The only time I've used a microwave was to just warm the tobacco before putting a vacuum lid on it for storage. As it cools, it creates just the right amount of vacuum.

There was a thread on ASP about doing your own "stoving" using a regular oven. Mostly positive results as I recall.

I used to put fresh buds in the microwave to dry them out!
laugh.gif

Surprise, surprise!

:sign:

i'd be leary, there's gotta be water in there, you're storing your sticks at 65-70 RH!
When you microwave you're exciting those water molecules, that's gotta hurt your sticks long term somehow! (just cautious I guess)

I'll tell ya what though, you'd probably do a pretty good job of killing beetle eggs tho.

Since microwaves are tuned to the frequency of the O-H bond in water, I'd say all it will do is heat it up. Are there other compounds in tobacco with significant quantities of O-H bonds? Sugars maybe?

Not trying to thread jack here but the fact mirowave ovens (2450hz) operate at the resonate frequency of water (22.2GHz and 183GHz) is a myth. Microwaves work by agitating polarized molecules like water. In any case, I am not sure I would put my tobacco in the microwave :)

Not trying to thread jack here but the fact mirowave ovens (2450hz) operate at the resonate frequency of water (22.2GHz and 183GHz) is a myth. Microwaves work by agitating polarized molecules like water. In any case, I am not sure I would put my tobacco in the microwave :)

We all know Lumpy's an idiot.

Through the grapevine, I heard placing pipe tobacco in the microwave for a minute or so does something for the tobacco... Has anyone heard about doing this or what the benefits might be??

I've done it many times with a fresh tin of tobacco that's just too moist to smoke. Spread enough for a bowl on a plate and nuke it at low power for 10-15 seconds at a time 'till it feels "nice".

I have tried to smoke 'baccy too moist and besides being hard to keep lit, the moisture boiling off will fairly nuke your tongue, and that isn't pleasant.

I would never try it with cigars, but with pipe tobacco, no issues.

Taking a pipeful out of the tin,scattering it on a paper plate,and allowing it to sit for a half hr or so will dry it out enough to smoke unless its loaded with PG. I'll not argue the nuke deal either way but I've always figured it was for heating up 8am coffee at 9 at night :D

in the 80's i worked for a large tobacco multinational company, and we mass produced ciggies...but the one thing we spent time & expertise on was pipe tobacco, using recipes developed over the course of a 100 years we blended, cut, pressed and cased our tobaccos, and took care from the initial curing of the leaf, to the maturation of the end product, and the packing at the ideal smoking moisture....

...and you guys want to nuke it!

I used to put fresh buds in the microwave to dry them out! :laugh:

I know people who put their scraps and shade leaves and such into the microwave before cooking with them, or turning them into any number of other products because they claim it converts the THC-A to THC.

But would I ever do this to my tobacco? NO WAY!

I've put my shisha tobacco in the microwave for about 9 seconds, just to get it warm before the coals go on.

I've since found it's better just to acclimate it.

Interesting thoughts on this. Mr. GL Pease states the following:

Q: I've read about heating the tobacco in a microwave. Is this a good idea?

In a word, NO. Heating tobacco that you like is not a good idea, as it will change the character of the blend. Blenders do it in specifically controlled ways - stoving, panning, steaming - to alter the characteristics of the leaf before, and sometimes after blending. But, if you like the way the tobacco “comes together” now, you may be less than happy if you nuke it. In some cases, you might notice an improvement, in others, the result will be anything but satisfactory. Further, there just is no reason to do this. Sterilize your jars, fill them up, and put the caps on. What purpose will heating serve? The jars will seal fine without the “pop” of the slight vacuum that results from cooling.

From his site GL Pease

New member, put a pipe in my mouth some 40 years ago and still enjoying it. Now on to the topic, I've heard of putting tobacco in the crock pot and I'm not sure why but seems to enhance flavor
Clay Bell in the desert southwest

New member, put a pipe in my mouth some 40 years ago and still enjoying it. Now on to the topic, I've heard of putting tobacco in the crock pot and I'm not sure why but seems to enhance flavor
Clay Bell in the desert southwest

Welcome aboard, but post an introduction in the aptly-titled "Introduce Yourself Here" section, rather than some oddly-resurrected two-year old thread.