• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Misc's 1st pass (sort-a)

Misc

Genuine pre-embargo Cuban cigar smoking picture (c
Inspired at having received my first box pass (that makes me an expert, right? :)), I've decided to try to start a pass of my own.

Standard pass rules (please see Rules Of A Pass link, above) -- I'll give it until 7/22 to fill up, or until there are 12 "I'm in"s [edit: was "20", but I came to my senses]. If fewer than 5 sign up by 7/22, I'll cancel the pass.

One note: I'M A NEWBIE! Not only to CP, but to the cigar hobby, in general. I've managed to collect quite a variety of pretty good smokes in just a couple of months, but I want to warn you up front that NOTHING IN THE INITIAL BOX WILL BE AGED beyond how I received them plus 0-8 weeks.

I've got a pretty good starting lineup forming in my mind but, for example, my LGCs are currently in their "sick period". I'll probably include 1 or 2 of them, anyway, as they were darned fine smokes off the truck, and I'm told that they'll be GREAT smokes by about Christmas or after. If you don't want 'em, don't take 'em. Other than that, everything I have is perfectly smokable and reasonably high quality premiums (no flavoureds, no machine made, etc.) I only post this "disclaimer" in case any of you old-timers don't want to get involved with "tender young cigars." I believe it's a good deal for newbies (which is why I'm doing it), but want to be honest, up front.

I'll post the starters once I see that there's interest in my pass.

If you're new to CP, please take the time to participate in a few discussions and get at least 10 posts under your belt before signing up, here. If you've got under 50 posts (heh, I should talk, eh? ;)), please e-mail me privately and tell me a bit about yourself, your interest in cigars, what you like & don't like, and other "getting to know you" type stuff. I promise not to bite. ;)

Thanks!

Oh yeah, one more thing -- this will be a "mid grade" pass. I don't think I own any $12+ cigars, but neither will I be starting it with any $1-2 sticks. I'm looking to start this with mostly mid-grade cigars -- but any reasonable puts & takes (see Rules Of A Pass link) will be just fine. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, feel free to knock yourself out -- but if you're like the rest of us, just "be reasonable." If you're poor, take fewer and put fairly is all I ask. Make sure you save enough money for postage ;)

*sniff* You were my first *sniff*

I'd be honored to be in it!

Snailer info is on that box LOL.. Or in my profile.

Fun Fun FuN!!!!

Count me in! I am determined to be in as many passes as possible as I always find something I haven't tried!

Message sent!

Thanks

Leebo :D

Ok, that's 3 (plus me) (Leebo joined, too) -- looks like this one might work! :)

(I wonder if 20 is too many for my first pass -- I'm going to ammend that to 12. Pass #Next will be 20, I promise! :))

I'd like to ask that people e-mail me their snailers. In fact, in the e-mail, please list

* CP name
* Name you want on the box
* Snailer for box.

It just helps me be organized. @#$% BBS System won't let me fwd your PMs to myself :sneaky:

Feel free to add whatever you want here, too, of course. :)

Also, when did they change "winky" ;) -- he doesn't look as playful, anymore, he looks more like this: :\

:thumbs:

Hey Misc,

I would love to join your cigar pass,

I am new to the CP boards (Rookie here) but lost of sticks under my belt in the last year.....

Let me know if you need a note from my mom or anything else!!!!!

Thx Gekko777 in SoCal
:thumbs: :thumbs:

Gekko777 said:
Let me know if you need a note from my mom or anything else!!!!!
Thx Gekko777 in SoCal
Just drop me an e-mail telling me what a wonderful person you are ;)

EVERYONE (who hasn't) SEND ME AN E-MAIL (please)

* Your CP name/handle
* The name you want on the package
* The address for the package.

Sending PM or posting here is a nice thing to do IN ADDITION, but PLEASE SEND ME E-MAIL. It helps me stay organized.

So far, I got:
Smokin Tone
Leebo898
Benjeiv
Gekko777
crash 0473
Some french guy :p (Pepe! :) )

And me, of course.

Well, this IS exciting! Looks like we've got quorum for a pass, and in less than 24 hrs! I'm really swamped for the next week and a half, so even if we fill up, the box might not get out until 7/22 (I'm organizing big events both this weekend and next, so have little time) -- but we'll just play it by ear and see who all signs up.

This is quite a thrill, to be starting my own 1st (real) pass, let me tell you! Thank you all for participating :)

PLEASE SEND EMAIL

All the cool cigar smokers send e-mail with snailer to the pass-organizer :love:
All the evil, naughty cigar smokers don't :angry:

:lookup: :p :lookup:

I would love to join this pass as it would be my first. Address is on the way.

Korry :D

Korryp said:
I would love to join this pass as it would be my first. Address is on the way.

Korry :D
Korry -- of course we're glad to have you aboard, but please take the next couple of weeks to post around CP and get to know a few people.

A few things you should know:
* Be sure to read the "Rules Of A Pass" link, above. Pay particular attention to what's expected of pass participants.
* Be sure to read my initial post that started this thread.
* It's often helpful to read a few passes in progress, or completed passes (for example, I'm in Smokin' Tone's mid-sedan pass in progress (almost over!), and it makes for fast, easy and enlightening reading) to get a sense of how they go.
* By and large, folks here seem more confortable sending a box with 100s of $$$ worth of cigars to people they've had a chance to talk to. This pass won't get off the ground until 7/22 or so, so use that time to nudge people, ask questions, give answers and make fun of the old farts here ;) I'm a bit of a newbie, myself, so I can't give you TOO hard of a time, but I remember getting a bit of razz when MY first post was "I'd like to join your pass." Apparantly, there've been a few problems in the past ???
* Per my initial post, I wouldn't mind a short introductory e-mail from you. Doesn't have to be a resume, just a bit about yourself, your interest in cigars, etc. Thanks!

Either way, welcome and I hope you have fun! :)

---

Btw, I don't have gekko777's address, yet.

Thanks for the quick note. I have done a lot of what you mention before I asked to join your pass. I spend a great deal of time on the internet surfing so I have a really good idea about cigar passes. I look forward to my official first time. After the weekend I will get a sort email off to you with some background information. The shortest story is I am 43, married, 3 kids, a computer geek by trade and officially retiring on August 30, 2002. :D My future is up in the air and I sort of like that idea. No plans...Just time...

Has anyone else noticed that around here there are an awful lot of computer techies floating around? Pretty cool 'eh?

Lets clear this up. Pepe is not a French name. Do not confuse me with some froggie; although my wife makes a mean dinner of frog legs provencale. Followed up with beautiful chardonnay, then a maduro LGC and coffee. It's a tough life but someone has to do it.
Pepe
:)

Pepe said:
Lets clear this up. Pepe is not a French name. Do not confuse me with some froggie...
You'd probably prefer I confuse you with some froggie -- when I see the name "Pepe" (especially with the beret wearing canary that you used to have as your avitar) it reminds me of the only other Pepe I've ever "known": Pepe Le Peaux (the skunk cartoon character who thought he was a cat and spoke in a bad French accent.)

Nothing personal -- that's just the free association my brain makes. :)

I'd like to get a little help from some of you who have done this a few times. I post a lot over in ASC, and mentioned that I had started a pass here (it flowed out of another thread I started there asking about swapping "mixed boxes" with other newbies.) Anyway, several people that I've never heard of asked to join, and I asked them to sign up on CP, post a little, get to know people, etc (you can see one of my replies to KorryP earlier in this thread.)

Below I will post an e-mail that I sent to one of the others. My question to you folks is: am I approaching this right? Am I being too hard on the newbies? Too easy? Just right? Is my attitude about my reponsibilities as pass-originator on-target? Are there other important points that I'm missing? Etc., you get the idea.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--- e-mail sent to prospective pass member (he'll be out of town
--- until 7/28, asked not to be first for that reason) follows:

> [...] pass on cigarpass. Is it necessar for me to register there, email would
> be just as convenient for me.

It's not "required", technically, it's just "customary." Specifically, it's' customary to register, read a few posts, post a few posts, get to know people, let others get to know you.

See, I don't know you, and you don't know me -- so far, everything I know about you is your name & address and you've asked me to send you a box with 100s of $$$ worth of cigars without making any effort to open a relationship.

I'm not saying you're a Bad Person -- I'm saying no one knows you. CigarPass.com is about opening relationships and starting friendships. I can't make you register over there, and I'm not going to try -- but I will recommend to you that it's probably a good idea.

>> Will you be online between now and the 28th? As this is my first pass,
>> I'd prefer that everyone is in-communication as the pass starts (probably
>> 7/22 or shortly thereafter)

> Yes, I'll have my laptop with me and probably will be checking for email
> daily.

Please take a moment to introduce yourself around cigarpass.com -- while I'm the one organizing this particular pass, it really belongs to all the participants, and I feel responsible for making sure that everyone's comfortable with everyone else. Certainly, if anything went wrong with this pass, it'd be my responsibility, and I'd like everyone involved to feel that they have some ownership and say-so, rather than that I involved them with complete strangers.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Misc.

I think you're being quite reasonable. It's really just about smoking cigars and sharing info though. Just like the posting on ASC. Everybody involved takes a chance. The fact is, regardless of whatever is posted, we are all still strangers to each other the first time around. After that, we are cigar pass buds. Here's my deal. I am a phone repairman for SBC (formerly Ameritech, formerly Michigan Bell), for 26 years. Just celebrated my 27th wedding anniversary. Just started smoking cigars about 2 months ago, but it is already a passion. Have 2 150 qt coolerdors going. Found a local lumber yard where spanish cedar is relatively cheap. So I lined both coolers with it, made some credos, ordered some propylene glycol from the chemistry store, spent about $1500.00 on smokes from cigarbid.com, Lil Brown, Bonita, JR, Phatash, 24-7, etc (can't remember the others, wife is very understanding, but had to promise to stop)....anyway, I'm probably just like you guys in a lot of ways. Finding it hard to smoke less than 4 or 5 a day. Am going on vacation for 2 weeks starting Sunday and am not going to worry about my daily consumption until I get back. :) . Anyway, that is about as much autobiographical info as you guys probably can stand without barfing...talk to you soon, and hope to be in on the pass.
Danny (rocket15)