• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mob and Jimbo's Blind Trade

TheVitaleMob

Full Trucker Effect
Welcome all to another installment of the blind trade.

Jimbo (StepThirteen) and I decided to trade some cigars and do some blind reviews. He sent his end before going off to the WSOP, and missed a couple of minor details, so I have a few cigars that I have "multiple choices" to guess from.

My first 3 reviewed cigars will be A1, A2, and A3. The choices are H. Upmann, Juan Lopez, and Punch; all 3 are Habanos.

Hopefully, Jimbo will jump in and reveal these for me.

Comments and general taunting are encouraged.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Review of stick A1 (the middle cigar in the picture above)

This cigar measures about 5.5x44, is medium brown in color, and noses lightly of hay and straw. It also has a slight box press.

1/3: After a nice toast and light, I'm getting a mild taste of hay and straw, just as the nose predicted, and the smoke is thin and refreshing in body. The draw is a bit tight, but nothing to be bothered by. The ash seems a bit weak as it fell off as I set the cigar on my ashtray to get a cup of coffee.

2/3: As a small burn issue develops, the taste gets a bit bitter. I touch up the side that's not burning quite as well and this clears up the bitterness. I also note that there is a bit of a tunnel in the tobacco (pictured) that seems to be the source of the burn issues. The taste picks up with some leather near the end of the second third.

3/3: Just some good leather and straw/hay.

This is a great cigar for rubbing elbows; it has a great mild taste, and won't interfere with the conversation.

7.5/10

Jim, what is this nice conversation piece?

Composite.jpg

Chris I hope you win and I hope Jim give you a prize for it :laugh:

Chris,

I have been slacking, but I have made progress and hope to update the thread not only with my reviews, but the mystery stick as well.

Jim

Welcome all to another installment of the blind trade.

Jimbo (StepThirteen) and I decided to trade some cigars and do some blind reviews. He sent his end before going off to the WSOP, and missed a couple of minor details, so I have a few cigars that I have "multiple choices" to guess from.

My first 3 reviewed cigars will be A1, A2, and A3. The choices are H. Upmann, Juan Lopez, and Punch; all 3 are Habanos.

Hopefully, Jimbo will jump in and reveal these for me.

Comments and general taunting are encouraged.

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

I think I know what marca, vitola and year the stick to the right is :whistling:

Happy smokin'

Rene

Well, Jimbo has told me that cigar A1 was the Juan Lopez.

Now for the review of A2

This is the smallest cigar in the picture at the top. It measures approximately 5x40, and is a dark brown, a little bit darker than most ISOMs seem to be. It noses lightly of barnyard, and the cold draw is of fruit and hay. The draw is also a bit tight, but not unruly.

The cigar lights a little bit bitter and immediately runs up one side, but corrects itself at about a 1/2 inch in. The taste seems to be smoky and nutty at the same time, like a smoked nut i guess. There's also a bit of leather in the taste.

This smaller cigar stays one-dimensional, and ends a little bit early for my taste.

I am really intrigued by this cigar because I'm not sure what the blender meant to do. I'm really not sure if the "smoky nuts" are good or bad.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

Here is a pic (sorry about the outrageous flash) of the 4 fine cigars Mob sent me-

07-10-2009097.jpg

I have smoked a couple and will post the results of #1 tomorrow. I will say that the second one that Mob reviewed was a Punch Punch and I was very suprised by his review of the stick. I am curious to see what he thinks of #3.

Jim

Review A3:

This medium brown, vitola measured in at 7 X 44-46rg, and had a few prominent veins that looked stitched. It nosed of cedar and good tobacco, very reminiscent of a walk-in humidor.

The cold draw was a bit tight, and tasted of fruit, cedar and leather.

In the first third, the smoke is medium bodied and I get more of that cedar/tobacco taste reminding me of a humidor.

This cigar didn't change much, but it was certainly enjoyable.

I would give 7.5/10.

By process of elimination, we know this one was an H. Upmann.

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Not just an H. Uppman, but a Sir Winnie from 2003.

Jim

Jim, I'm curious to know why my review of the Punch surprised you, and how did my review of the Upmann compare to what you get from them? I have very little experience with isoms, so I'm just really curious.

Now for the official reviews. This is No. 1

This dark brown cigar measures at about 5 3/8 x approx 48-50 rg. It noses of light tobacco and something that reminds me of dry breakfast cereal. I clip the cap with my trusty, new black Palio and the draw is perfect with leather, the signature pepin spice, and again, a small amount of cereal.

The first third is medium in body and has notes of leather and maybe burnt cereal, and a little bit of coffee.

The second third turns a bit bitter, and I in turn slow down a bit and the taste comes back in line. I'm now getting coffee, leather, and dark earth.

The last third turns still darker with dark coffee, dark earth, and now a kind of richer leather.

All in all, a great cigar, and I'm pretty sure what this is.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Yep, I was right.

It's been a while. Cigar No. 2 here for you.

This one measures about 5 5/8 X 44 or so, and has a medium brown wrapper. The wrapper itself noses a slight bit of poo, but is somehow a good kind of poo. The foot smells of enticing barnyard.

In the first third, I'm getting clean white pepper, and a sweet, sugary leather kind of taste. The cigar builds in leather throughout the length, and finishes very well. I think this is a "new school" cigar, and it is very very good.

8/10.

Apparently, it's an Illusione ECCJ.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

So after a looooonnnnnggggg wait I am now going to post a couple of reviews from the cigars Chris was kind enough to send me. The first mystery cigar is an imposing cigar and quite large, 60 ring gauge by 5 3/4". The wrapper is medium brown in color and the smell from the foot is full and aromatic tobacco. Construction is beautiful as a cigar should be.

As I light the foot It opens up immedialy with plenty of smoke and an overwhelming coffee flavor. As I continue to burn through this beast I realize that the flavor is a mix of coffee and grass (not that kind) the smell is similar to the taste. I have to say again the smoke billowing from this cigar is almost overpowering, but I like the smoke very much because I hate to struugle getting a good draw from a cigar.

I approach the halfway mark and the stick is getting more complex with a subtle floral undertown coming through. I am delighted by the cigar and what it has to offer. All the while I am trying to figure out what cigar it is. I know the flavor and the constuction is very familiar, but I am having trouble placing it. I know Chris does not claim to have alot of experience with the Forbidden fruit, but I am beggining to think he through one in to confuse me.

Then it hits me I know who makes this beast. As I finish this monster I have had enough and with about a 1.5" left I put down as the power has put me down. Now to open the envelope.....Don Pepin, huh? I was sure this was a Rocky Patel, I have not seen many Don Pepins of this RG but I know Chris is quite the DP fan, so there you have it. Thanks Chris for a great cigar. Review number two much sooner than later......

Stepthirteen