• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold in Shot glass

BArias4641

I am seasoning my first humidor small 25 count has a Floral Foam Humidifier a Digital Hygrometer and was following the instructions on CP. My humidor is located in my upstairs office. Temperature has been low-mid 70's upstairs. I calibrated the hygrometer using the salt method and set a shot glass with Distilled water and left it alone for 3 days. I opened today noticed that the water level did not drop and the water in my shot glass has several spots of mold growing on the surface. I removed the water and I am now letting it sit for a few more days. I My question is did I do something wrong? Is this normal? I have never done this before and want to find out what I did wrong to avoid this in the future. I hope I gave you enough information to help me out. If I forgot anything let me know, Thanks in advance

Brandon

I am seasoning my first humidor small 25 count has a Floral Foam Humidifier a Digital Hygrometer and was following the instructions on CP. My humidor is located in my upstairs office. Temperature has been low-mid 70's upstairs. I calibrated the hygrometer using the salt method and set a shot glass with Distilled water and left it alone for 3 days. I opened today noticed that the water level did not drop and the water in my shot glass has several spots of mold growing on the surface. I removed the water and I am now letting it sit for a few more days. I My question is did I do something wrong? Is this normal? I have never done this before and want to find out what I did wrong to avoid this in the future. I hope I gave you enough information to help me out. If I forgot anything let me know, Thanks in advance

Brandon

I find mold in the humidification devices from time to time and would say it is normal. The use of the Propolyne Glycol on the humidification device will help control this.

I'm not sure if the mold on the water is detrimental or not but I'd think it couldn't be good. If it's appearing after just a couple of days, well, that doesn't seem normal. I'd stay on top of this and keep the shotglass clean and change the distilled water every couople of days until the mold problem is gone.

Any standing water can grow mold, I've had it happen to me with a shot glass as well.

Simple really, stagnant water grows mold. I check my hydra weekly even though I put some solution in it. It just happens from time to time.

Best just to check it out or swap it daily.

Yea i knew about the stagnant water but I guess I didn't think about it being indoors in a controlled environment. Oh well I am glad I didn't do anything wrong...now to keep an eye on it and see if RH holds and store some cigars. Thanks for the quick replies

Seems like the Humidor has soaked up all the moisture it could, especially since you seasoned it already.

Any confind spaces with water will produce mold.

I started out using that Floral Foam Humidifier cuz my humidor came with a bottle of 50/50 solution. Now I use beads. I recommend you upgrade to beads and use Floral Foam as back-up or until you use up all your 50/50 Glycol solution.

Good luck.

I am going to be upgrading to the beads...Its so expensive to start up and I am doing a little bit at a time. This way the wife doesn't notice a large chunk of money missing...you gotta do what you gotta do :)

I am going to be upgrading to the beads...Its so expensive to start up and I am doing a little bit at a time. This way the wife doesn't notice a large chunk of money missing...you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Hell, buy her a new coach purse, then she won't have any reason to bitch about it :laugh:

Hell, buy her a new coach purse, then she won't have any reason to bitch about it :laugh:

Ahhhh...the voice of experience!

At least he didn't say LV. That is my fiances weapon of choice