• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monte #2 and Monte #4

cigardawg said:
The Monte No. 4 burned cool and even all the way down, staying pleasant and requiring no corrections. The ash was very firm and white, not the "mottled gray" suggested elsewhere :whistling: . Good construction except for the tight draw.

[snapback]180790[/snapback]​

Why do you suppose the ash on yours was different than the ash on the box we had? I have heard that one of the signs of a true ISOM is the dark ash...is that true or false?

opusxfiles said:
cigardawg said:
The Monte No. 4 burned cool and even all the way down, staying pleasant and requiring no corrections. The ash was very firm and white, not the "mottled gray" suggested elsewhere :whistling: . Good construction except for the tight draw.

[snapback]180790[/snapback]​

Why do you suppose the ash on yours was different than the ash on the box we had? I have heard that one of the signs of a true ISOM is the dark ash...is that true or false?
[snapback]180795[/snapback]​

I've smoked ISOMs with light ashes, dark ashes, and ashes in-between. If I was paying attention or had to hazard a guess, I would say that it has more to do with the brand and/or the tobacco in the particular cigar. It could also have to do with the way the tobacco is aged and fermented before rolling. I think there are all kinds of answers. I don't think that the "dark ash" classification can necessarily be made. Maybe most ISOMs have a dark ash...just don't know, haven't paid that much attention.

I do know that I have smoked Opus (for example) that have dark ashes and Opus that have light ashes. I think it has to do with the wrapper crop, but that is just my guess.

Too long an answer to a short question :blush: ...I think the answer is "maybe" or "it depends."

Yesterday afternoon I had the chance to enjoy the first Monte No. 4 out of a recent box purchase with the OCT 04 MPC code on the back. The construction was good, very smooth neat and uniform looking. The draw was firm, not too difficult where I had to actually concentrate on pulling from the cigar. In my opinion this was the perfect draw, as I felt I was getting a good amount of smoke out of the cigar. It burned evenly, however the ash never stayed on for more than an inch or two. True to form, it had that woody & creamy taste. I didn't find it to be too strong a cigar, instead would classify it as medium bodied.

I haven't found what the MPC factory is, so if anyone knows that feel free to enlighten me. I did notice a big difference between this and a box with the April 05 date that I have. Seems those 05's will be in storage for a while before I break them out again.