• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Monte #4's

cumpster

Finally got around to getting my hands on a box of these (May 08). I wanted to see what all the hype was. As Ive worked through this box,about 5 left, I find that for everyone 1 I love. I get 2 that are like sucking a golfball through a straw. I do like the stick based on my good experiences, but wonder if this is a characteristic of this stick,this format.Is it worth it to purchase these as I have been through many boxes of BoliPetit's and dont seem to have the same problems.Tell me if your having the same issues and how are you fixing or dealing with the tight draw sticks. My last one in frustration went out the car window.

I only have two boxes (07, 08), fortunately, both of them smoke very well.
But I also heard that the quality of monte #4 could be very inconsistent.

In my limited experience with the Monte brand in general (and from reading others experiences) i've found them to be inconsistent. When you get a good one they're excellent, when you don't you wonder why you bother. Duds seem to appear more frequently in the Monte line - at least in the more popular marques. I've never personally had a #4 and probably won't any time soon. I may try the Edmundos at some point, but they aren't on my short list to buy.

In my limited experience with the Monte brand in general (and from reading others experiences) i've found them to be inconsistent. When you get a good one they're excellent, when you don't you wonder why you bother. Duds seem to appear more frequently in the Monte line - at least in the more popular marques. I've never personally had a #4 and probably won't any time soon. I may try the Edmundos at some point, but they aren't on my short list to buy.
Ive been through a box each of the Edmundo and The Petit Edmundo. I found the Edmundo to be a killer stick. I was a little dissappointed in the Petit. I feel the Petit is more of a trend sizing. The Edmundo is a stick you should try.

My latest box of Monte 4s from AGU AGO08 have smoked fine w/o draw problems. Since they are the most produced cc, there can be variation. Have you ruled out that your storage (RH) is not a factor?

I've had the same issues as you. I've had them smoke really well and others I have had to chunk because of draw issues. Usually though, each box brings the same result, whether it be all are plugged or all are smooth.

.....Never had a problem with my RH either, so that wasn't a factor.

Monte #4's suffer the same problem as many high volume hand made commodities... inconsistency. That's why I prefer the more specialized low volume marca's where the rollers wait until the right tobaccoo is available and ready before the stick is produced.

Don't forget that the Monte #4 are rolled by trainee rollers and new rollers.

I think the blend in general in uneventful, and as mentioned the consistancy of the tobacco and constuction is so hit and miss, that I stopped purchasing them long ago. Heck, I remember a provential factory I was in and they tried to sell me Monte #4 bundles. I told them "no I don't like those", and walked away from the sorting room. When I went back, they had bundles of Siglo IV to offer me. I thought, that is more like it. lol

There are so many better PCs, like Upmann, Boli, and Por Larranaga, that to me there is just no point to go after these. IMHO, of course.

I love my Montes, but give me a choice between a #4 and a PLPC and I'll choose the PL most of the time. I've never had any issues with them, unlike Montes. Bummer you got a bad batch though. When they are on, they are really good.

Finally got around to getting my hands on a box of these (May 08). I wanted to see what all the hype was. As Ive worked through this box,about 5 left, I find that for everyone 1 I love. I get 2 that are like sucking a golfball through a straw. I do like the stick based on my good experiences, but wonder if this is a characteristic of this stick,this format.Is it worth it to purchase these as I have been through many boxes of BoliPetit's and dont seem to have the same problems.Tell me if your having the same issues and how are you fixing or dealing with the tight draw sticks. My last one in frustration went out the car window.

Cumpster-

I have to be honest I am a bit surprised. We usually burn through a few boxes of these a month in our shop and they have been smoking fine. Although the wrappers on RAS ABR 09 have been an almost candela-green/brown, the cigars have been firm, not tight and have had the traditional Monte flavor profile. I love the H. Upmann Petit Corona, and the Cohiba Siglo II have been outstanding Rott, but I think these continue to be one of the top marevas produced.

Enjoy your smokes,

Drew P

Drew...are you serious???? lol

(I have no faith in Monte #4's)

Monte #4's suffer the same problem as many high volume hand made commodities... inconsistency. That's why I prefer the more specialized low volume marca's where the rollers wait until the right tobaccoo is available and ready before the stick is produced.
Can you suggest a few.

Thanks guys. I wasn't complaining just asking. Look, at the end of the day we're talking about a handmade product with many variables. Therefore its best to go with the odds of what has the most consistency.

.......volume marca's where the rollers wait until the right tobaccoo is available and ready before the stick is produced.

That is not exactly how that works. In fact, the rollers get their allotment of tobacco each morning from the caged tobacco room, and they roll what they are told to roll. Hell, sometimes the rollers don't even know the marca, they only know the "factory size" they are rolling with the tobacco they are given.... not always, but sometimes.

Can you suggest a few.

As mentioned above, grab some Upmann PCs, Boli PCs, or if you like pepper, some Por Larranaga PCs. Monte #4s are a training stick... why risk it, IMHO.

Despite the inconsistencies in the Monte #4 it remains my second favorite PC after the PL. The beauty is that the No. 4 is failry inexpensive, so I don't mind having to toss a few from time to time, but when they are on, they are amazing. Well worth it IMHO...

Ive been through a box each of the Edmundo and The Petit Edmundo. I found the Edmundo to be a killer stick. I was a little dissappointed in the Petit. I feel the Petit is more of a trend sizing. The Edmundo is a stick you should try.

I agree on the Edmundo. CigarMan Andy gave me an Edmundo Tubo a few months back and Damn, what a great stick. I have only had 2 Monte #4's and one I fixed with a wooden skewer while the other one I pitched after regaining consciousness from drawing so hard.

Despite the inconsistencies in the Monte #4 it remains my second favorite PC after the PL. The beauty is that the No. 4 is failry inexpensive, so I don't mind having to toss a few from time to time, but when they are on, they are amazing. Well worth it IMHO...

I will take a RASCC anytime over a Monte #4.

I agree on the Edmundo. CigarMan Andy gave me an Edmundo Tubo a few months back and Damn, what a great stick. I have only had 2 Monte #4's and one I fixed with a wooden skewer while the other one I pitched after regaining consciousness from drawing so hard.