• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Platinum Mini Belicoso review

moki

el Presidente
montecristo_platinum_mini_b.jpg

I picked up a box of Montecristo Platinum Mini Belicoso's while in Puerto Rico. They are made in the Dominican Republic, and come in a pretty cool box that has scenes from Havana painted on it. The box also doubles as a humidor, since it is quite sturdy, cedar-lined, and is fairly air-tight.

I enjoy a nice thick cigar, and I thought these would be great to have when I wanted a smoke, but not a terribly long one. The construction of the cigars is quite good, and I really wanted to like them, but alas they are not worth the expense in my opinion.

If they cost about $4-5 a cigar, I'd consider it money well spent -- the cigars are tasty, quite smokable, rather mild in character, and they have a nice fruity scent/taste to the tobacco. They burn very evenly, with a nice ash that hangs around quite long. Alas, they are not $4 a cigar, they are significantly more expensive at about $9 a cigar if you buy the box of 14.

It seems like Montecristo is using premium packaging, and a premium price, for a cigar that while enjoyable, is not a premium cigar. If someone gives you one of these cigars, you will absolutely enjoy smoking it. If you purchase a box of them at retail price, though, I'm afraid the price tag sets a standard that they don't quite reach.

I enjoyed smoking these cigars, and I still have a few in my humidor. The most damning thing in my judgment is that I don't really have any desire to pull one out and smoke it. They are quite pleasant, but just rather forgettable, which is not what you'd expect for the money.

On a positive note, they seem to be developing a bit of bloom already, which is nice to see. Perhaps if I age them a bit longer, it'll bring out some more interesting character.

I got a box of the Monetcristo Cigars Des Arts Belicoso Largos and they are a wonderful smoke. I'm not sure if those are equal, above or below the Platinums. I would think they are the equal in an earlier design. I haven't had a bad CDA or Platinum yet myself so maybe you got one that was poorly stored.

AVB said:
I got a box of the Monetcristo Cigars Des Arts Belicoso Largos and they are a wonderful smoke. I'm not sure if those are equal, above or below the Platinums. I would think they are the equal in an earlier design. I haven't had a bad CDA or Platinum yet myself so maybe you got one that was poorly stored.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- the cigars weren't BAD at all. In fact they were quite good. They just weren't $9 a cigar good... closer to $4-5 IMHO. Just not that memorable.

moki said:
AVB said:
I got a box of the Monetcristo Cigars Des Arts Belicoso Largos and they are a wonderful smoke.  I'm not sure if those are equal, above or below the Platinums.  I would think they are the equal in an earlier design.  I haven't had a bad CDA or Platinum yet myself so maybe you got one that was poorly stored.

Oh, don't get me wrong -- the cigars weren't BAD at all. In fact they were quite good. They just weren't $9 a cigar good... closer to $4-5 IMHO. Just not that memorable.
I would say thre same about the few domestic Trinidad's I have smoked, great smoke, but at $11 and up, little too rich for me. few $ cheaper and I would buy them a lot more often.

I have tried two sizes of the Motie platinums, (the one you rated being one of them) and I like this one better.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the review. I agree they are very tasty sticks but are pricey :(

Moki, I did a search and ran in to your review. Thank you. I like the MC platinum line and I agree that full retail is a bit high but I have been lucky in getting them at a price range you like.

I was wondering if you had smoked the rest that you described having bloom. Did the flavor change?

Joe

I had the same problem with the Monte platinums I smoked...just too expensive. I would also agree with the Trinidad naturals being in the same category, though I think the maduro is *almost* worth the price.

I picked up three tins of three for a decent price on CI or somewhere similar. For what I paid, which I think was $5-6 a stick, they were really nice smokes. I didn't realize that they were going for that much!

... If they cost about $4-5 a cigar, I'd consider it money well spent -- the cigars are tasty, quite smokable, rather mild in character, and they have a nice fruity scent/taste to the tobacco. They burn very evenly, with a nice ash that hangs around quite long. Alas, they are not $4 a cigar, they are significantly more expensive at about $9 a cigar if you buy the box of 14.

... I enjoyed smoking these cigars, and I still have a few in my humidor. The most damning thing in my judgment is that I don't really have any desire to pull one out and smoke it. They are quite pleasant, but just rather forgettable, which is not what you'd expect for the money. ...

Moki,

Nice review. I smoked one of the Platinum toros during the last few games of the football playoffs. It really made me stand up and take notice. I enjoyed the cigar so much that I would rank it among my Top 10 favorite smokes.

I agree that it was very mild, but I thought it had a very unique flavor that I could not identify. All I know is that I really enjoyed the cigar because of that distinct taste.

As for cigar pricing on premium cigars, I personally do not believe that ANY cigar is worth more than 5-6 bucks. The highly, over-priced premium cigars do not taste ANY better than the 2-5 dollar cigars that I usually smoke. I enjoyed the Platinum toro so much that HerfinOne and I are going to do a box split on a box of 30 toros for $146 plus S&H. For me to spend roughly $75 bucks for 15 cigars is highly irregular for me.

If you or anyone else is interested in finding the Platinums at very low prices, I would be happy to give you the source where I found the box of 30 Platinum Toros for $146.00. They have equally discounted prices on other sizes as well. For example, the price for a box of 30 of the Mini Beli's is 163.80.

Just send me an email. I have the price list that the vendor emailed me and I would be happy to forward it to anyone who asked. :D

The non Cuban Trinidads are more freaking money than the Cuban ones,definitely not a good value.

Non Cuban Montes are another example of decent cigar for way too much money.

Herfin, there are tons of great cigars that are in my opinion worth 6-10 bucks all day long. Give me some examples of 2-5 dollar cigars that are better than the ones I have listed.

Here is a list of some of my favorite 6-10 dollars smokes.

Most Cuban cigars from Double Corona size and down

Diamond Crown # 2

Opus X Fuente Fuente and Petite Lancero

Fuente Don Carlos # 3, Robusto, double robusto and President

Ashton Cabinet # 8

Ashton Aged Maduro # 20

Davidoff Millenium Lonsdale and Petite Coronas

Davidoff Anniversary Tubo # 3

Padron Anniversary Maduro 1964 Monarcas,Exclusivos and Coronas

Fuente Hemingways

In my opinion when it comes to a Cameroon wrapped cigar there is nothing on the market that is as good as the Fuente Don Carlos and Hemingway lines. I have some Upmann Vintage Cameroons that I got in the jar for 75 bucks for 25, and while they are a good smoke, they are not in the same league as the Fuente cameroons.

I remember when I first tried the Platinum cigar. i wasnt really that impressed with it and had another one in my Newbie Trade. My opinion still stands as my first impression. Its an ok cigar but it sure would be an Acid any day of the week. :laugh:

" ... Herfin, there are tons of great cigars that are in my opinion worth 6-10 bucks all day long. Give me some examples of 2-5 dollar cigars that are better than the ones I have listed. ...

Geesh TM. It's not a contest. It's not a battle. I don't care what you smoke.

Like I said, it is my opinion. Taste is subjective and subtleties are lost on me. If you're looking to compare, it makes no sense to do so as my tastes are obviously different than yours. It would be like comparing apples to oranges as far as I am concerned.

You smoke what you like at the prices you don't mind paying, and I'll smoke what I like at prices I like paying. I enjoy my 2-5 dollar cigars as much as you like your 6-10 dollar cigars.

I could list several that I think are better than some of what you listed. But I would be listing cigars THAT I LIKE. There are no right or wrong answers. There are only cigars that each of us subjectively prefer.

It's as simple as smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. It's personal preference. Nothing more, nothing less. <shrug>

Yesterday I smoked at MC Platinum #2, the taste was on for me. I really enjoyed it very much. This one has been sitting in my humi for over six months and it was better than its cousins that I smoked last october. It had a hint of citrus with a slight sweetness in the finish. I have four more of these resting. I also loaded up with the different vitolas: robustos, toros and petite belicosos. Mind you except for the #2's I've gotten the rest at well below MSRP :)

My favorite cameroon-wrapped cigar is the Casa Fuente... but unfortunately... yeah, the price.