• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Tubos

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Due to it being "warm" (13°c) outside I decided to smoke one of my Havana cigars and in Honor of AVB's 50th birthday yesterday pair it with a dram or two of my best whiskey. And I even dug through my change jar and found a quarter to make it official.

This cigar is 16cm long and has a ring size of 43

15fh.jpg

Construction was flawless with a very good prelight draw and the wrapper showed a lot of tooth.

Toasting and lighting brought that "Cuban aroma" that most of us know and love so well and I settled in to enjoy the excellent horror book by Dan Simmons called "Carrion Comfort" (If you like King or Swann, I highly recommend it).

The ash was a grayish yellow color and very loose and flaky, I'm not one to stress how well a cigar turns into ash however so having to frequently tap it off didn't bother me much.

The burn was razor sharp and needed no touch-ups

23gu.jpg

This was a great tasting cigar with a good spicy flavor but at the same time never harsh or unpleasant. Around half way I realized that my glass was empty and went to refill it, looking at the clock I saw that over 45 mins had passed.

I went back outside and found it still burning merrily away in my ashtray and I picked up where I had left off.

This was one of the few cigars I've enjoyed recently that I smoked until my fingertips became hot and was sad to finally put it down after 1 and a half hours of pleasure.

39fl1.jpg

I've never been a huge fan of Montes but this cigar made me rethink my position on them and I plan of picking some more up next time I visit my B&M

Highly Recommended! :thumbs:

wurm,

I am a newbie and don't want to impose or be a smartass, but I bet that it had a bit of age, at least. I think that is the trick for the full on habanos experience.

Correct me if I am wrong. I would gladly be put back in my place. :)

Nice review Shawn. Lately I've a fascination with tubos (spurred mainly by the Bolivar Tubos No.2) and this one is on my "list." If you get around to trying the Boli2, let me know what you think. Better yet, post another review with pictures. :D :thumbs:

Incidentally, this is essentially a Monte No.1 in a tube is it not? Have you had a chance to compare it to the untubed version?

Wilkey

Sheesh, not many of us can say we're going down to the corner B&M to pick up a Cuban Monte. ;)

Nice review! Now, what you gonna smoke my 40th b-day next month? :sign:

Looks like a nice Habana, and may have to try another one soon myself.

What to smoke for my 40th? any ideas?

I was thinking Monte "A" or Esplendido

heres a pic of the Monte "A"
MonteA002.jpg

MidGe said:
wurm,

I am a newbie and don't want to impose or be a smartass, but I bet that it had a bit of age, at least. I think that is the trick for the full on habanos experience.

Correct me if I am wrong. I would gladly be put back in my place. :)
[snapback]281837[/snapback]​

Well I received it as a christmas gift so it had at least a month of humi time on it. lol

However with the huge amount of tooth this cigar displayed I'm willing to bet it was not "fresh" Shame they dont put codes on the tubes.

Montes are not a cigar I personally buy for myself, I love partagas and punch puros and try to keep a few in my humi when I can.

Wilkey I would guess its a Monte 1 since they have the same size. The last Monte I had before this tubos was an "A" and I don't remember enjoying it as half as much as this one.

And lol yeah having Havanas at my B&M is a blessing to my ever expanding cigar experiance but a curse to my wallet :p

Sunward said:
Nice review! Now, what you gonna smoke my 40th b-day next month? :sign:

Looks like a nice Habana, and may have to try another one soon myself.

What to smoke for my 40th? any ideas?

I was thinking Monte "A" or Esplendido.
[snapback]281847[/snapback]​

I'm turning 41 next month (geez) and I plan on smoking a DCM #1 or a Añejo Reserva Xtra Viejo Limitada #49 I've received in trades with a few of the brothers here. Regardless of which one I choose it will be a first :thumbs:

I'd go with the Esplendido. :cool:

Wow,
All you guys turning 40-ish. I'm 41 this spring and I have no idea what I'll smoke. Maybe a late 90's R&J Churchill tubo.

Sun,
The 40th is a big one. If you've got the time and the setting, go for the "A"

Shawn,
What's tooth got to do with the age of a cigar? ???

Ginseng said:
Wow,
All you guys turning 40-ish. I'm 41 this spring and I have no idea what I'll smoke. Maybe a late 90's R&J Churchill tubo.

Sun,
The 40th is a big one. If you've got the time and the setting, go for the "A"

Shawn,
What's tooth got to do with the age of a cigar? ???
[snapback]281885[/snapback]​

The Master said in another thread that tooth shows that the cigar has aged.

I'm not even close to the expert he is, but I have to agree with him from my own personal experiances with both tooth and plume.

I had the pleasure of smoking the Monte tubo back in the fall and I have to say your review is dead on. I loved that cigar and I wished it didn't end.

Nice review, the pictures sure do tell a 1000's words :)

Glad you enjoyed the cigar, those Montes can be magical experience.