• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More "Cuban" BS From Lew R.

sduke

Lew's new "weekly special" is something called called SRO ("sun ripened oscuro") at the blowout price of a buck a stick.

The ad copy is similar to that used for a previous special--"Something's gonna happen with Cuban cigars any minute now, so we're blowing out our otherwise unsaleable crap because we'll need the money and the space for the new "cubans", yada, yada..."

Well, hell, if that were true (and I find it highly unlikely), I'd need to save my money and space too, rather than stocking up on Lew's dregs.

I'll turn 53 in a couple of weeks--and I don't expect to be able to smoke a legal Cuban in my lifetime. What's really annoying about this is that it's the same BS, almost word-for-word, that Lew used to blow out some other crapola about a month ago.

Is is just me, or has that operation completely gone to hell over the past couple of years?

And you know what? I'll bet people are falling for it.

Please excuse the intrusion--it really p!ssed me off, and I had to vent.

Thanks,

Steve D.

edited to add: These SROs have been "on blowout" almost from the time they arrived a couple of years ago in the catalog...and...Hey Lew, can I reserve a supply of Party Shorts?? I'm willing to wait. :whistling:

Lew's new "weekly special" is something called called SRO ("sun ripened oscuro") at the blowout price of a buck a stick.

The ad copy is similar to that used for a previous special--"Something's gonna happen with Cuban cigars any minute now, so we're blowing out our otherwise unsaleable crap because we'll need the money and the space for the new "cubans", yada, yada..."

Well, hell, if that were true (and I find it highly unlikely), I'd need to save my money and space too, rather than stocking up on Lew's dregs.

I'll turn 53 in a couple of weeks--and I don't expect to be able to smoke a legal Cuban in my lifetime. What's really annoying about this is that it's the same BS, almost word-for-word, that Lew used to blow out some other crapola about a month ago.

Is is just me, or has that operation completely gone to hell over the past couple of years?

And you know what? I'll bet people are falling for it.

Please excuse the intrusion--it really p!ssed me off, and I had to vent.

Thanks,

Steve D.
???

Lew is Lew. He's the PT Barnum of cigar retailing. If you recognize that, his ad copy won't bug you so much. Or it might. I just shake my head and chuckle to myself.

Wilkey

Lew is Lew. He's the PT Barnum of cigar retailing. If you recognize that, his ad copy won't bug you so much. Or it might. I just shake my head and chuckle to myself.

Wilkey

True 'dat--I've been reading Lew's turgid prose for over a decade. Still, it seems like a hell of a stretch--even for a self-admitted hustler--to sell some leftover Shit'zu sticks.

Sorry if I came on too strong--I was just thinking of the newbies who don't yet know any better thinking, "Hoo boy--Cubans!!--any day now!!"

Steve

Yeah, I got that email today too. Just had to laugh. My favorite part was him mentioning the last brand they had to blow out to make room for the Cubans. Never heard of that one either...

That cigar has a Mexican binder. Seems that Lew is really pushing to get rid of the Mexican binder cigars. About a month or so ago he said Mexican binder cigars were undervalued, and he kept going on about how great they are...

He sells clothes now too??? http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=acce...u&type=FILA

If it isn't a name I recognize I don't even bother to read his crap.

That cigar has a Mexican binder. Seems that Lew is really pushing to get rid of the Mexican binder cigars. About a month or so ago he said Mexican binder cigars were undervalued, and he kept going on about how great they are...

He sells clothes now too??? http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=acce...u&type=FILA
I remember that. He was really humping the Turrent and Santa Clara brands. I've tried the Turrent but not the Santa Clara. Really nothing to write home about.

Wilkey

I remember that. He was really humping the Turrent and Santa Clara brands. I've tried the Turrent but not the Santa Clara. Really nothing to write home about.

Wilkey

I've had the Santa Clara. I didn't mind the first 1/3 of the cigar but that is when it went down hill from there.

Who is Lew?

Billy

:whistling: Listen, I have these premium sticks that are fantastic that I can sell you at a blow out price. They are called La Flor de Baloney. If you are interested I can let you have them at $10 a stick. They usually go for $15. :rolleyes:

Come on guys Lew is the master at writing BS. Ya got to take him for what he is Entertainment!

Your right he is been writing the same hocus pocus lines for years but if your looking for a great deal and inexpensive gars to burn in the back yard he is still the man.

Oh and every so often he does come up with a good one. Believe it or not he does have his following... and for those BOTL/SOTL just starting up he does offer an entry into the cigar world.

Oh and every so often he does come up with a good one. Believe it or not he does have his following... and for those BOTL/SOTL just starting up he does offer an entry into the cigar world.

A better one than Thompson's, from what I've seen and heard. Their ad copy reads like those catalogs with the fake doggy-do and x-ray glasses I used to get when I was a kid.

Plus, JR's has good prices on Sancho Panzas and Antanos. :)

Come on guys Lew is the master at writing BS. Ya got to take him for what he is Entertainment!

Your right he is been writing the same hocus pocus lines for years but if your looking for a great deal and inexpensive gars to burn in the back yard he is still the man.

You'll get no argument from me on any of those points. He does provide excellent prices and great shipping. I get my Sanchos from Lew. :D

Wilkey

I bought a box of those SRO's a while ago. They're not bad and I'd buy another box. They are ugly as sin but smoke fine and were pretty enjoyable. I'd say a solid yard-gar. For the price, it's kinda hard to complain about them.

After reading through my issues of Cigar Magazine, I'm starting to get the impression that Lew is ghost writing every article. But I still continue to read.