• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More Opus on the way?

CasaSoho

New Englander at Heart
I rented "The Lost City" this weekend and after finishing the movie I started playing around in the extras section. There was an area that provided some information on the Fuente family and their cigars. It turns out they planted a field out of season for this particular film. Here's what really caught my attention though:

"In late 1996, The Fuente Family acquired a second tobacco plantation in the Dominican Republic that is blessed with rich soil and ideal weather conditions. In a few years the wrapper leaves from this new farm will be used to produce more of the sought after Fuente Fuente Opus X cigars".

The DVD has a release date of 2005 on the back of the jacket, although I have not seen it available for rental prior to this past weekend. I don't know what to make of this information. I would guess it means one of two things, I hope it is the latter but suspect it to be my first instinct.

1) Whom ever put together the extras section of this DVD found some very outdated PR info and this is very old news and we have already seen an increase in Opus occurring somewhere around '98-'99.

2) It takes over a decade to get a tobacco field primed for acceptable Opus crop output and there actually will be an increase in production in the next few years.

Any thoughts?

I don't think its about the tobacco really. They make enough tobacco and the stuff they don't use they age. JMO, I am probably completely wrong, I think it is more about the rollers then anything else, they roll very slowly compared to what most other factories roll. I am sure someone else could give you better insight though.