• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

More Tobacco taxes being lobbied.

Humidor Minister

This is a report I recieved today from a fellow BOTL today. It starts as old info but goes on to explain more efforts to tax us harder beyond SCHIP

ReplyFrom the latest CRA newsletter:

A New Campaign to Attack Tobacco in Washington
By J. Glynn Loope, CRA Executive Director

Was the recent $.40 federal tax increase on cigars which pays for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) "Round One" in a series of tax increase attacks on cigars?

Today, SCHIP has been signed into law. FDA regulation of tobacco has sailed through the US House of Representatives, and is awaiting debate in the Senate. Twenty-four states have been debating tax and smoking ban legislation. Oh, but there is more, and you need to be involved.

This week, Daniel E. Smith, President of the Cancer Action Network which serves as the lobbying arm of the American Cancer Society announced that they had a plan for paying for national health care reform. As reported in Congressional Quarterly, Smith stated that their organization would be...drum roll please...pressing President Obama and the Congress to double all tobacco taxes. They're serious - $3 million worth of serious.

That's right, they announced that they would be spending $3 million over “the next few months” to lobby the President's administration and Congress, specifically for another round of tobacco tax increases, fresh off the heals of the SCHIP taxes. Smith further announced that this will be the “largest campaign they have ever run to actually achieve a public policy goal.”

The President has presented a $634 billion plan to be utilized over the next ten years as a “down payment” on a national health care ‘overhaul.' However, the estimates are running closer to $1 trillion. The Cancer Action Network is already running the numbers on the levels of taxation they want to advocate.

In an unrelated story that ran on the eve of the SCHIP taxes taking effect, the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids organization noted, “There is plenty of room to go [for taxes] for cigars and smokeless.” Of course, that means ‘we' are on their radar screen. SCHIP clearly elevated premium hand-made cigars as a target for such regressive forms of taxation.

We need to paint a different picture. You can not travel through the tobacco farms, curing barns, sorting rooms, box makers, rolling factories and distribution areas in Honduras without thinking about the economic impact of what this industry means to Latin America .

As one ponders the manufacturing, distribution and supply chain network that makes a great cigar even possible in your hand, you can not view this industry in the same light.

As you reflect on the moments you spend with great friends engaged in conversation at your community tobacconist (which in many cases has been there for multiple generations) on a Saturday morning, or after a hard day of work, sitting in that leather back chair, holding that cigar for just one moment of peace, you start to realize what that single cigar means to bringing some solitude to the day. You stare at it. You realize it's a piece of art, and that hundreds of hands made that moment possible.

In the coming weeks and months as the American Cancer Society's - Cancer Action Network spends their $3 million to lobby Congress for new tobacco taxes, or your local and state government considers their tax and smoking ban ordinances and legislation, remember that this is why you belong to Cigar Rights of America. Remember that like the patriots of ole, you want to defend your passion; defend your ability to enjoy that cigar; and to defend that moment from undue levels of regulation and taxation.

Cigar Rights of America will keep you informed on the status of this new assault, as well as the ongoing debates at the state and local level. But we need you. We need you to be engaged and active. We need your calls and emails to legislators, and for you to visit with them in their offices when they're back home, “getting their hand on the pulse of the community.”

Let them know how you feel about this.

Aren't there better/more efficient ways to raise the needed revenue?
Not that many people smoke cigars.

How about a $.25 tax on every donut!
I won't mention beer or burgers.

If they're REALLY serious they would find more profitable ways for funding.

Chemyst :cool:

This thread sure ought to get political but since that's not allowed here, I won't go down that road....

I wonder if this $hitbag president of ours and the party that is presently in control of Congress has even given one thought to cutting spending as opposed to raising taxes? I also fail to understand why the do-gooders feel the need for a "children's health insurance program." I didn't father your damned kids so why the fock do I have to pay THEIR health insurance premiums? Oh, and if it's such a great fuggen idea they why isn't EVERYONE paying for it instead of just tobacco users? We all know the reason for that, it's because the public outcry would kill the program. ;)

This country gets what it deserves for electing the people that it elects.

I am disgusted.

Purely out of curiosity, how much are our neighbors up north (Canadia) paying for NCs?

Perhaps I ought to just move there. :)

This thread sure ought to get political but since that's not allowed here, I won't go down that road....

I wonder if this $hitbag president of ours and the party that is presently in control of Congress has even given one thought to cutting spending as opposed to raising taxes? I also fail to understand why the do-gooders feel the need for a "children's health insurance program." I didn't father your damned kids so why the fock do I have to pay THEIR health insurance premiums? Oh, and if it's such a great fuggen idea they why isn't EVERYONE paying for it instead of just tobacco users? We all know the reason for that, it's because the public outcry would kill the program. ;)

I couldn't agree more.

I am disgusted.

Purely out of curiosity, how much are our neighbors up north (Canadia) paying for NCs?

$15 or so for a Padron 3000. $8 for a Perdomo Fresco. Yup, that's not a typo.

Luckily the new administration has promised a lesser role for lobbyists in DC. Therefore the $3mil that the Cancer Action Network is going to spend will do no good. Right? :rolleyes: :sign:

Luckily the new administration has promised a lesser role for lobbyists in DC. Therefore the $3mil that the Cancer Action Network is going to spend will do no good. Right? :rolleyes: :sign:

I'm sorry, didn't you hear that right? He said none of THEIR lobbyists. "Ours" will still be admitted.

It's funny, Bill. You said you wouldn't get political, then you got political.

What these dips don't realize is, these aren't frickin cigarettes made in a machine. It takes around 120 people to make each cigar. These are peoples livelihood. The only thing an ubsurd tax is going to do is reduce the number of cigars sold and cost people ther jobs in already difficult times. It won't generate jack shit in revenues. I have to agree. This administration is a train headding to the fallen bridge WFO. It really scares the crap out of me.

....I had a reply typed up and decided it would be better to delete it.... :whistling:

Let me just say I'm disgusted in the priorities being set by the current administration, and find their spending decisions deplorable. I'd better leave it at that..... ;)

B.B.S.

I say we take cigars underground into the black market. It probably wouldn't make them any less expensive, but I'd rather the money I pay to go to criminals who understand that they are criminals instead of going to criminals who call themselves the government.

I am disgusted.

...Wow.

Do those prices owe to tobacco taxes? And are we talking B&M prices? Are online prices any different?

I am disgusted.

...Wow.

Do those prices owe to tobacco taxes? And are we talking B&M prices? Are online prices any different?

The vast majority of that is taxes. I believe the tax the B&Ms pay is about 69%. That is after the shipping, duties, and mark ups along the way, not on the orignial cost. Online in Canada you don't find them much cheaper anywhere aside from variation in Provincial taxation. I don't get the feeling there is a huge mark up on the cigars from the B&Ms, most of the price is taxes and duty. Also, there are few online retailers that will ship within Canada (although, out of country, who knows...) as it is against the law to ship tobacco in most Provinces (perhaps all Provinces....baldheadracing?) so they won't ship within the Province or Country at risk of fines and charges. Only real option for NCs is through the States.

I'd would encourage those of you on the fence about various cigar rights groups to join, pay your fees, be active, otherwise you won't be far behind. That's not political, just a fact, most often when taxes are to be levied they go to alcohol, tobacco and gas regardless of political party, at least in Canada. Imagine a box of Padron 3000s over $300.

Edited for clarity and gratuitous use of the comma.

Politicians are weak. My tax would make billions on an annual basis. Weight Tax... $1 per every 20 lbs each month. Taken out of your payroll of course. My fat a$$ would pay $12.50 per month.

Within 5 years, we would have a fit country. That way we won't have to come up with BS health insurance initiatives.

Once the country has lost a significant amount of income, I would create Breathing Tax...try to get out of that one.

Jason

I would create Breathing Tax...try to get out of that one.

Jason

We have that here too, except we call it the GST...it's a federal tax...on EVERYTHING (well perhaps not every single thing but it would be a short list of things it is not on).

I am disgusted.

...Wow.

The vast majority of that is taxes. I believe the tax the B&Ms pay is about 69%. That is after the shipping, duties, and mark ups along the way, not on the orignial cost. Online in Canada you don't find them much cheaper anywhere aside from variation in Provincial taxation. I don't get the feeling there is a huge mark up on the cigars from the B&Ms, most of the price is taxes and duty. Also, there are few online retailers that will ship within Canada (although, out of country, who knows...) as it is against the law to ship tobacco in most Provinces (perhaps all Provinces....baldheadracing?) so they won't ship within the Province or Country at risk of fines and charges. Only real option for NCs is through the States.

I'd would encourage those of you on the fence about various cigar rights groups to join, pay your fees, be active, otherwise you won't be far behind. That's not political, just a fact, most often when taxes are to be levied they go to alcohol, tobacco and gas regardless of political party, at least in Canada. Imagine a box of Padron 3000s over $300.

Edited for clarity and gratuitous use of the comma.
It is illegal to ship tobacco across provincial borders without a permit. Taxes vary by province in Canada, just as they do by state in the USA. You and I live in one of the high-tax provinces.

FWIW, those prices seem high - I figure Padron 3000's should be about $11.50/stick. However, given a Bolivar RC or a Partagas SD#4 costs less than an $11.50 Padron 3000, the price of a 3000 is somewhat irrelevant to me :D.

Note that NC's are artificially high is because many NC's are not directly distributed in Canada. Thus, B&M's are essentially buying NC's at retail in the USA and selling them here with an additional markup. IMHO, an $8 Perdomo Fresco just tells me that a B&M is gouging. One could hop across the border, buy the things from, say, Atlantic, pay all the duties and taxes, and the cigar would be under $4.