• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mother-in-law enroute...

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
Yeah, my mother in law is coming tonight, I'm picking her up from LAX after work today, and it looks like I'll have to put a hold on my stogie smoking for A WEEK! She'll be with us until Wednesday of next week, living here, visiting, putting her nose in where it doesn't belong, etcetera. Really sucks IMO.

Anyone have similar experiences with relatives and/or family members?? If you ask me, it's a whole bunch of bull-sh*t!! :angry:

Hey, at least I ended on a good note, a Padron 26'!! Anyways, if I start having withdrawals from it, you guys will help right?? :sign: :sign: :sign:

Having had two mother in laws, I can tell you the best thing in the long run is to be honest and fair. If she sticks her nose where it doesn't belong, gently remove it. I learned after a few years of ass kissing and being miserable; I finally started standing my ground and soon enough her visits were less frequent and more polite when she did.

Go to Walmart and buy a broom, stand it in view and when she asks what it's for tell her "it's to sweep up your bull shit and and if that doesn't work you can ride it home" :D

That's a better reason to slip out for a smoke, cowboy up Buckaroo.

You recently married? Need to exercise your head of the household role and, as others have said, stand your ground and not compromise. Not to suggest you light up and blow smoke in her face, but if you're simply not going to light up at all - even in whatever designated smoking place you might have - just 'cause she's around, you're doing a huge disservice to yourself, as well as setting a precedent that she is the one in control, with you being the subservient one. Be hospitable and play a proper host, but don't let her control the situation.

Damn...makes me all the more happy for having Cuban in-laws as well...who understand and appreciate the role of the man of the house, and who have a life-long appreciation (and love) of cigars.

Mooning her and flashing the squirrel does wonders for the relationship also.

It sucks that your not old enough to smoke... to bad, Bro.

Having had two mother in laws, I can tell you the best thing in the long run is to be honest and fair. If she sticks her nose where it doesn't belong, gently remove it. I learned after a few years of ass kissing and being miserable; I finally started standing my ground and soon enough her visits were less frequent and more polite when she did.

Exactly. Stay true to yourself. Don't be an ass, but don't be subservient either. Just be yourself. :cool:

I know how you feel, my in-laws were here during the Christmas period for six weeks. I think I was able to sneak in two cigars during that time.

It sucks that your not old enough to smoke... to bad, Bro.

I'm confused, isn't he 23?

:laugh: :laugh:

Like everyone else has said, why can't you smoke?

And will the decrease in your smoking time lead to an increase in your posting time? Even though I already put my guess in for the contest, I think others might want to know...

You can either stand up for yourself now and do it politely, or do what I did and wait until you just can't take it anymore and become a complete asshole. Once I got the words "Shut the F!@# Up" out of my mouth, I felt like 1000 pounds had been lifted off my back. The Monster in law eventually got over it.

Made my wife wonder if I maybe had a screw loose too. That can come in handy. ;)

My mother in law is awesome so I really have no issues when she stops by. My other inlaws, however, require more finesse. Although I certainly wouldn't (don't) make a big fiasco of 'doing things my way' when they are around, I also wouldn't (don't) have any problem excusing myself to have a smoke despite them not condoning it. It isn't my job to please or placate my inlaws but I still feel it is important and correct to treat them with respect. I would expect the same respect if I was visiting them (and I get it).

My mother in law is awesome so I really have no issues when she stops by. My other inlaws, however, require more finesse.

You must be a Polygamist Phil..........................Two sets of in-laws. YOU DA MAN!!!! :sign:

I suspect there might be more to the story than is apparent, for such a thought (i.e., quitting one's passion completely) to even enter into the equation. Perhaps some form of dependence (e.g., monetary or otherwise) that would instill such a type of kowtowing demeanor to her.

Don't quite know, but whatever the case, he would be far better served by standing up for himself while still not disrespecting his (wife's) family.

You can either stand up for yourself now and do it politely, or do what I did and wait until you just can't take it anymore and become a complete asshole. Once I got the words "Shut the F!@# Up" out of my mouth, I felt like 1000 pounds had been lifted off my back. The Monster in law eventually got over it.

Made my wife wonder if I maybe had a screw loose too. That can come in handy. ;)

:laugh: :thumbs: