• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My beads stink!

Carps

I tried searching, but all I found was a guy whose beads stunk because he accidentally sprayed febreeze on them :laugh: . So, last night I hydrated my beads, but this time I dripped water slowly into the tubes instead of spraying. I just got home from work and was going to play cigar box tetris and wanted to check my desktops also. I opened the desktops and this terrible rancid plastic smell attacked my senses and I almost had a heart attack. The tubes are currently in an empty cigar box to hopefully pick up the cedar smell. The humis are open right now to air them out and the cigars because they stink. I mean it is bad! Anyone have this happen to them before? I also kind of noticed the smell as soon as I hydrated them last night, but I left them out for 10 minutes before placing them back in without thinking twice. Any insight/help is much appreciated.

Edit for spelling.

I tried searching, but all I found was a guy whose beads stunk because he accidentally sprayed febreeze on them :laugh: . So, last night I hydrated my beads, but this time I dripped water slowly into the tubes instead of spraying. I just got home from work and was going to play cigar box tetris and wanted to check my desktops also. I opened the desktops and this terrible rancid plastic smell attacked my senses and I almost had a heart attack. The tubes are currently in an empty cigar box to hopefully pick up the cedar smell. The humis are open right not to air them out and the cigars because they stink. I mean it is bad! Anyone have this happen to them before? I also kind of noticed the smell as soon as I hydrated them last night, but I left them out for 10 minutes before placing them back in without thinking twice. Any insight/help is much appreciated.

I have gone through several pounds of beads and never run across this. Are you using the tubes that heartfelt sells? I would hit them up and try to get these replaced. Its not worth risking your cigars.

These are Viper's beads? I find that they came that way far fetched, but possible. I would contact him.

The beads did not come this way. I've had both tubes for over a year now. This may have been caused by the beads rupturing maybe from me pouring instead of spraying.

Could be mold from them being over wet.

Sean this was my biggest fear. I examined the beads last night before I put them in and the beads on the ends of the tubes were white and I didn't drown them either. I just took all cigars out of the desktops and put into baggies, SOB! Desktops are airing out currently. This was less than 24 hours in the making, so maybe the humis can be saved. I don't plan on putting the beads back in. This is not good. :angry:

Yeah, it's sometimes (albeit rarely) tricky with the beads, sometimes they don't have to be in a pool of water to get moldy. I had it happen to a set of my travel puck beads a while back, it sucked. Fortunately I didn't have anything in the travel-dor at the time. You could see if the beads are salvageable: let them dry out completely, then test them out in the open air.

If all else fails, thank goodness beads are cheap.

If it is mold related, soak them in hydrogen peroxide/distilled water solution (40/60) and then dry them out until they're all white. See if that helps with the odor.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...beads&st=20

Thanks very much for the search help. I saw that Gary mentioned the beads turn brown when moist, but I thought the opposite because years ago when I had the gel and when it dried it turned brown after the water evaporated from it. So, I was hydrating beads that were already hydrated. The desktops smelled like cedar this morning, so thats good.

Wouldn't mold be visible if that's what it was?

problem is solved, but I want to answer this. No: molds come in all sorts of sizes, shapes, colors and tastes. Some are visible, some aren't, which is why the nose knows so often in the case of mold, but even then, their are odorless fungi and other types of molds.

I have some almost 5 yr old beads and they are brown, but they still work. They've never smelled like anything other then cedar.

The only thing that makes me second guess mold is the fact that this happened in one night and I think I noticed the smell as the beads were cracking when I driped water on them. I can't even remembe if I smelled anything right away now because maybe I want to believe I did.