• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My cooler-dor moving question

CheapSkate

I didn't want to hijack AztecKing's thread, so I started a new one.

I'm moving soon and am a bit worried about my collection. I can move a good amount in my bite sized car, but have some 52-qt coolers that would only fit in my car if a shrink ray was available to me (I used the search function and found out that they don't exist).

I have taken time to arrange everything so that it sits in the cooler stabily, but am a bit worried about the movers (mainly theft). I was thinking about using packing peanuts like someone said and then duct taping the coolers shut. I have an inventory of my collection, but am not sure if that would suffice for claim purposes.

This will be the first move (2000 miles), so I am a bit weary of trusting a good chunk of my collection to a moving company. Has anyone had any theft problems before?

Thats easy, pack everything yourself into the moving boxes. Tape them up. If they think they are clothes, then no problem.

Emo

If you truly value something, DO NOT let the movers near it.

My brother had 9 guitars when he moved down to South Carolina - by the time he unpacked everything he found that the one guitar he had that was worth money (and old Gibson he bought from the RnR Hall of Fame that was heavily customized) was the only thing missing. One of my best friends revently got married and movers destroyed one of his wifes antique pieces of furniture that was worth 30K.

It's just not worth it.

emodx said:
Thats easy, pack everything yourself into the moving boxes. Tape them up. If they think they are clothes, then no problem.
[snapback]282033[/snapback]​

I'm with Emo, let the movers take it, but don't tell them what it is. Your goods could be delayed in delivery. Make sure you don't cut yourself short of good smokes while waiting.

I think I posted this in an earlier thread, but will repeat it. Having moved several times in the past few years due to my job, keep anything of import with you!! Whether it's your cigars, family photos, your wife's favorite recipes etc., pack them into your car and if that's not big enough rent a trailer from one of the large rental places. If it's something that's important or cherished DO NOT let the movers have it!!

Take and date photos or better yet videos of everything that's going on the mover's truck. Things will get lost and/or broken and video evidence of the "before and after" goes a long way in settling disputes.

It's been said a move is 2nd only to the death of a loved one in the amount of trauma caused! Anything you think is irreplaceable - move yourself!

On one of our moves several boxes disappeared for almost 2 months, and then were "found" and promptly delivered unscathed. Imagine if those had been your prized smokes sitting in a non-climate controlled storage facility.

Good luck on the move, and I assume new job. A few simple precautions will make everything go much smoother, and much less stressful.

You could let the movers take all the necassary but easily replaceable "stuff".

Rent a U-Haul/Ryder truck and move the valuable possessions yourself.

Tow your car with a dolly.

Enjoy the drive! :D

I would pack everything in a good box and ship it via UPS.

Hey. Thanks for all the replies. I was stressed out this weekend over my "little" problem. However, I spoke with the relocation department and told them that I had very expensive cargo. They kinda took it lightly when I told them it was cigars, but when I estimated their value they said it would be no problem. Both the moving company and my company will insure my important cargo.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or something that could come back and bite me on the hind end. I'll take pictures of everything before I move so that I have something to fall back on, just in case. (that is going to be a PAIN IN THE...)

Also, I don't want to spend my own money for anything, so I'll probably let them move all my "cigar box only" coolers.

Perhaps you could look into a small trailer hitch, and pint size trailer to move some of these more valuable possessions. And that trailer can also be used to move some of the stuff that you just can't do without until the moving truck gets to it's destination and everything is unpacked.

Even some of the smallest cars can haul a small trailer.

Gonz said:
[snapback]284772[/snapback]​

Yeah but looking at a picture of his car...

smallTelstar.jpg

He doesn't have a hitch :p

Wurm said:
Gonz said:
[snapback]284772[/snapback]​

He doesn't have a hitch :p
[snapback]284950[/snapback]​

I think a Reese hitch on that car would cause it to do a "wheelie"!

I just realized something as I was thinking about this last night. What time of year are you moving? Reason I ask is that when we moved a couple years ago, in mid-summer, the moving company specifically would not move certain things, like wax candles, because it got so hot inside the moving trucks. So cooler or not, if you're moving in the summer, your smokes will easily bump up into the 90+ degree range, which could prove fatal i.e. beetles.

Cool car! Looks almost as good as mine.

Well, I think I just solved my problem. Just bought a new car and will drive vs. fly out. It's a Focus (no laughing) and has enough room in the car for the coolers.

Now I just have to break in the engine within the next 4 days. Then the long drive to Cali. Thanks for the responses. (and the beetle concern, Gonz)

CheapSkate said:
Cool car! Looks almost as good as mine.

Well, I think I just solved my problem. Just bought a new car and will drive vs. fly out. It's a Focus (no laughing) and has enough room in the car for the coolers.

Now I just have to break in the engine within the next 4 days. Then the long drive to Cali. Thanks for the responses. (and the beetle concern, Gonz)
[snapback]285081[/snapback]​

I have a focus station wagon thats now 4 years-old and it treats us really well. Enjoy your new car and take your time on the long drive. I wish y'all the best of luck in your new home!