• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My first estate (chateau) cognac

mitchshrader

I guess sometimes you shouldn't start close to the top.

It can distort your appreciation of good..

If you learned on a Martin D18 guitar, you probably can't easily appreciate a Yamaha.. and if you started with a harley, a Vespa isn't even CUTE..

So, I may have ruined myself with this particular cognac. I'm not a cognac lover, don't own any.. till now. I used to drink brandy once in a while, even Imported fancy brandy, but not much cognac. Martell Cordon Bleu, Courvosier VSOP, and thems the only two I knew about, and didn't care enough to find out more.

till now.

I like sweet, strong, old booze, and cognac isn't very strong, usually, nor very old, for what *I* can afford..

till now.

This is an estate bottled, (one guy made it, aged it, bottled it, and sold it) cognac, and not popular or well known. GOOD!

Cause, my mission in life right now is to find the funds to stash a case. And then, I'll be hunting more money for the second case. It's that impressive (to me, ymmv)..

Now, WHY I'm going not so quietly nuts here, is this is as fat, oily, woody, and spicy a liquour as I've ever seen. If someone had told me it was a malted rye, aged in cognac casks, I'd not have questioned em. This is different from any other liquour I ever tasted. I suspect that cognac lovers won't react like I did. I think the novelty of it has overly impressed me. I HOPE this dazed stunned addiction wears off.

I can remember feeling this way about my second wife.. :)

Daniel Bouju Brut De Fut Royal, 15 yr, 60% alcohol. Buy it.

EDIT: Again, FWIW.. I've had about 3 or 4 oz. of it, in about 30 or 40 tiny sips. Every sip is interesting, every sip is sweet spicy wood, with NO trace of the 120 proof alcohol.. (I'm not driving!, I meant no trace in the TASTE) oh my lord. If you don't like this stuff, you won't like ANYTHING I like..

it's not bourbon. it's not peated. don't expect those tastes.
i am willing to trade you out of any partial bottles. :)

I've been trying to find flavors I could isolate and identify in this stuff, and some of em are kinda obvious once I think about it. Tannins(?), from grape stems. This isn't a 'clean' spirit, it's earthy, full bodied, heavily flavored.. and part of that taste is grape stems. astringent, spicy, one edge of the flavor spectrum..

and there's noble grapes, those late fall half fermented on the vine hugely sweet ones, and a waxy oily woody spicy taste that for the LIFE of me keeps reminding me of rye. It's not quite, but sure in that direction.. cedar? sandlewood? some spicy wood, might be spanish or french oak.. ahh. and then FINALLY rolling into the grape, chewy plum jelly flavors fading into raisen syrup.. and that's on a sip of about 4 drops.. and then it fades into a looooong, warm, round, woody finish.. licking honey off fresh cut cedar, the upper palate just won't quit.. and so smooth you forget it even has alcohol in it. *AND* proud to say it, very LOW evaporation factor.

I just wallowed in it till i was tired of grinning, and drank about 2 inches (4 oz) down into the bottle.

About 3 hours worth of entertainment, for the cost of a small pizza.. and it never even occurred to me to try it with a cigar. Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner.. :rolleyes:

in a fit of sensible behaviour, which is very out of the ordinary for me.. I did NOT buy the 40 year old version of Daniel Bouju's work..

how's 170$ delivered sound, for 40 years old, 100 proof, and hand made by one guy?

I was tempted. Real Tempted. I bought something else, for 1/5 the money, and felt smart.

But my birthday is in September.. :)

and the Armagnac (Les Domaines Grassa Reserve) is on its' way, and makes a fair consolation prize.

Edit: The Grassa Reserve showed up, Real Pretty Bottle, oversize perfume bottle shape, classy. The 2nd Daniel Bouju Royal got opened after a severe emotional struggle, about 2 minutes worth.. :)

yup. it's that good, all right. I have tasted some good liquour lately, and some *pretty good* liquour, and not any BAD booze at all. Thank God. This stuff is what angels get, for being Really Really Good. On their birthday. From the Boss.

I hope you think i'm lying. :whistling: